WW2 BEDFORD QL Gallery

Ian L

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
That is a firewall, strange that the Bedford refueller never had them, but if you look at the cab there are differences, and headlamps are further forward, the Autocar has a short bonnet which fits the photo.

Ah yes i see now, were these common as tankers?

I would say you are right about it being an Autocar, but one strange thing, it would be left hand drive so why would it have a trafficator arm on the left hand side of the cab? Or am I mistaken

I think it might be the bigger Autocar, with short bonnet, which is just visable .............but could be wrong

I think it might be the bigger Autocar, with short bonnet, which is just visable .............but could be wrong

Just looked on google images at autocar tankers and they all look civilian, would this have been made for the army or have been a converted civvy?

I haven't seen a single period shot of RAF QL refuellers with either a firewall or front exhaust, and they also retained the rear cab window(s). The RAF AEC 854 & 0854 refuellers ; some had a full firewall some only a low level skirt. many retained the rear cab windows and most retained their original exhausts. Now RAF tankers ( non refuellers) conformed to all the regs and had full firewalls- diverted exhausts. Looking at pictures of the Autocars on the net, aviation refuellers seem to be without firewalls. I reckon the oddball in the shot is a tanker not a refueller. ?? But what.

I think it's a FWD SU-COE. A lot were supplied under lease-lend, and they were RHD which would explain the LH indicator arm.

And even the fuel tank with its front end filler ties in with the FWD. I wonder if it received the tank etc from something else ?/ the workshops out there did some fantastic conversions etc . Following from the nod that the pics came from a B-26 site,-- only 14 & 39 Sqns used those in the M.E. a couple of hours trawling last night showed both had some unsual and locally aquired MT .

TED

And even the fuel tank with its front end filler ties in with the FWD. I wonder if it received the tank etc from something else ?/ the workshops out there did some fantastic conversions etc . Following from the nod that the pics came from a B-26 site,-- only 14 & 39 Sqns used those in the M.E. a couple of hours trawling last night showed both had some unsual and locally aquired MT .

TED

I can confirm that they are from a b-26 airfield

Tony fantastic where did it go from you ?? You say heavy I cannot believe how overloaded these were. The largest capacity I have found of this general design is a 1000gal water carrier (without booms) for the mobile photo recce units. The normal rule of thumb is a gallon of water is 10 lbs including the tank that holds it; so a 1000gal job is 10000 lbs . That is a ton and a half over the design gross weight. The type you restored were mostly 950 gal fuel or a 2 comp tank holding 850 gal fuel 100gal of oil, then add the weight of the booms etc scarey !! The firewalls appear to be a very late WW2 addition on the QL ???

Do you have anymore shots please

TED

Hi Ted

The QL was sold to IWM DUXFORD late 70ts .And still their . Ti had not been fitted with third boom or oil tank .To add to its weight their was a STURT TURNER engine that worked the pumps in the pump house . The pump and all equipment was in full working order when it was sold . T CORBIN