Whts the best way to keep your 24v Batteries maintained?

Toolman

Hi there everyone

A general query, I've been wondering for a while the best way to keep the ferret batteries topped up.

I've been looking for a 24v "maintenance" charger but have been unable to find one in the UK. What do you guys use?

I've come across one in the US (I think from the ferret heaven site, does anyone use it?) datasheet attached, it's a Soneil charger.

Basically I want to leave something connected which will keep them topped up with NO Fire risk (My ferret is stored in a townhouse garage, it would be tragic enough for the ferret to go up, but my house too! Shudder!!)

Cheers

Matt

24VCharger.pdf

You can charge them simultaneously as two individual 12v batteries using a pair of Opti-Mate style conditioners. This is arguably better than charging them as a pair at 24v.

Whatever charging option you go for, I'd plug it into a timer socket so it was only live during the hours you're going to be up and about, rather than when you're asleep upstairs.

All the best, Glen.

Edited by GlenAnderson
Spelling

As someone who does not understand/hates electrics, re response:

make up lead and charge thru socket that powers searchlight”

Do you use separate cables with individual male pins or do you get hold of one of the normal plugs and attach wires to that. I am paranoid about plugging positive in negative and damaging batteries. Re the male plugs are they a standard size available at normal electric shops. If so is there a size/specification/type I can quote .

Thanks

Ken

As someone who does not understand/hates electrics, re response:

make up lead and charge thru socket that powers searchlight”

Do you use separate cables with individual male pins or do you get hold of one of the normal plugs and attach wires to that. I am paranoid about plugging positive in negative and damaging batteries. Re the male plugs are they a standard size available at normal electric shops. If so is there a size/specification/type I can quote .

Thanks

Ken

The plug is the same type as fitted to the search light and the lead light

This listing for a search light has both types of plugs that fit the holes

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Land-Rover-Series-Champ-Butler-Spotlight-1950s-60s-/270748991171?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f09e5bec3#ht_500wt_1156

I charge both of my batteries independently with a 12 volt trickle charger each. I also have a battery cut of switch that I switch to off when I use the trickle chargers.

Don't forget that the interior lights will always drain the batteries as well.

Any good?

Well, the quoted capacity is 4 watts. Now, watts is volts x amps, so 4w divided by 24v gives a current output of 0.16667 amps. Just about enough to power one of the instrument light bulbs.

I can't really think of any use for it at all. It certainly won't provide any worthwhile charging for a pair of hefty automotive batteries.

Being as the vehicle described in the initial question was garaged in a townhouse I'd imagine any solar type charger was likely to be impractical. Unless you had a south facing garage door and mounted a panel nearly the same size as the door itself onto it.

At the moment "alternative" methods of battery charging are generally cost-prohibitive if you have ready access to the mains. By the time you've bought a high output solar array and then the control gear to regulate it, you'd have paid for a good pair of 12v battery conditioners and the power required to run them for decades.

If you're out in the wilds then things are different and the cost/benefit equation is skewed the other way. Maplins do a (nominal) 60w solar array for £199, one of them for each battery would give a useful 3.4 amp charge... If you were going off grid then they'd keep the batteries topped up with enough spare to run a phone charger and a few luxuries like a laptop and maybe a small cooler, but not much else. But a £400 outlay is pretty steep when you consider that you could get a pair of very clever 12v mains chargers for under £100 (or not so clever ones for under £20) then run them for pennies a day - like I said above, put them on a timer, they only need to be on for 1-4 hours a day.

All the best, Glen.

Nosing about for something else. Information on the American PRO15 range. I came acros sthis on the Frost site. http://www.frost.co.uk/automotive-electrical-tools/electrical-battery-care/battery-activator.html

Well done Tony :-)

They do a 24v Battery saver. Not a bad price too.

http://www.frost.co.uk/automotive-electrical-tools/electrical-battery-care/auto-battery-savers.html

I might get this and connect it directly to a 2 pin connector and plug it into the accessory socket, together with a timer so it comes on in the daytime only when I'm at home.

Might have cracked it.

I was wondering about the battery activator though. Anyone know if they are any good? I've a couple of 6 volt batteries I'd like to keep going. I know years ago there used to be 'reverse' chargers that were supposed to de sulphide plates. Tesco's do a plug adapter for a couple of quid!

As this is a subject near and dear to my heart, what with 52 pieces of self propelled equipment under my charge, the vast majority of which have internal combustion engines and get occassional usage.

Currently we store kit in buildings lacking mains power, we have opted for inter-battery diconnects and solar 12 volt units with over charge protection. They seem to be able to keep up for the most part as long as during the summer months the levels are check religiously.

We. augment with run ups on a regular basis except for some of the diesels when it gets stupidly cold at minus -15 degrees C and lower.

The units are purchased at Canadian Tire locally and cost us about $40 a shot, so thats $80 plus a switch.

I did call www.soneil.com who are in Canada about their 110v systems, if you buy a case of them they are about $140 per unit. If bought in single units through a distributor they are $280 a unit

R

As this is a subject near and dear to my heart, what with 52 pieces of self propelled equipment under my charge, the vast majority of which have internal combustion engines and get occassional usage.

Currently we store kit in buildings lacking mains power, we have opted for inter-battery diconnects and solar 12 volt units with over charge protection. They seem to be able to keep up for the most part as long as during the summer months the levels are check religiously.

We. augment with run ups on a regular basis except for some of the diesels when it gets stupidly cold at minus -15 degrees C and lower.

The units are purchased at Canadian Tire locally and cost us about $40 a shot, so thats $80 plus a switch.

I did call www.soneil.com who are in Canada about their 110v systems, if you buy a case of them they are about $140 per unit. If bought in single units through a distributor they are $280 a unit

R

Thanks for the info Robin. I was looking forward to hearing which method you use

Cheers

Matt

Matt,

While im flattered, dont rely as to what I do as guidance, its what I do as an expedient measure not what I would do if vehicles were mine and what I would do if I had the cash.

First off all the vehicles would be in dry vermin proof storage, with in slab heating set at 5 degrees C for the winter and circulating fans for all seasons. Also no windows so no UV degradation of paint and tyres.

But it aint so at the moment.

Making do with what I have.

R