Stug III Recovery

ajmac

There have been a good number of German vehicles recovered since the early 90's but this must be one of the most interesting due to winter tracks and paint scheme. I had seen stills of this Eastern Stug III recovery before but never the full version, it had been posted on MLU. When the tracks start turning at around 7min it nearly brought a tear to my eye. Drove into a bog in the harsh Russian winter then saw the light of day 70 years later just like all the history over the past 70 years never happened.

Something went wrong...

Edited by ajmac

Incredible footage!

You'd never believe it was true if you hadn't seen it with your own eyes!!

I wonder what happened to the Stug after recovery

Perhaps there may be a Tiger or two lurking in Russian bogs after all!!

It's currently displayed at Saratov http://fotovalkirumodelism.com/page.php?page=153

(And the rest of that website's worth a browse!)

There's been quite a few Tiger bits recovered over the years, several intact smaller tanks fished from rivers & bogs too.

Unfortunately, since being recovered a lot of parts reportedly have been removed to be 'restored' and seem to have vanished. The vehicle itself has been stored outside and has since deteriorated quite a bit. It really is a shame, it was a time capsule and should have been left as found in a proper storage area.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267988&highlight=stug+recovered

The will is there, but the knowledge and funding can't keep up it seems... :embarrassed:

That said, I am sure a lot of treasures are waiting to be discovered.

Greetz ;)

David

Speaking of which, when is the P38 coming out Matt?

Hi Adrian,

There are several factors which effect when it will happen,but mainly it depends on finding a suitable "home" for it,which in the UK really boils down to either the IWM or RAFM,both of whom have expressed an interest but the problems of space and funding have to be overcome. Fortunately it has remained covered since 2007 so is hopefully safe enough until the time is right!.

Matt.

There are loads of vehicles at the bottom of Lake Garda!

I have an inklin of a sherman in the uk which is in a pond.

As well as a traction engine in a bog.

Come on!!!! Spill the beans.............I have the weekend free :coffee:

Eddy, isn't that range at Bivelle, now abandoned. It's part of the sand dunes. I have seen other pics of the half tracks and amx's with what appear to be people having a constitutional.

Although a holiday in beautiful brittany with spanner and bbq may be an idea.

Hi Adrian,

There are several factors which effect when it will happen,but mainly it depends on finding a suitable "home" for it,which in the UK really boils down to either the IWM or RAFM,both of whom have expressed an interest but the problems of space and funding have to be overcome. Fortunately it has remained covered since 2007 so is hopefully safe enough until the time is right!.

Matt.

Don't wait too long. As much as i love both museums you mention, getting funding out of them for a dedicated space and restoration may be a long time in coming. Duxford are shedding staff and storage. Will the P38 then be competing for funds with the DO 17 which is planned to be raised from Goodwin Sands, plus the other projects which invariably are in the background.

With reference to the P38, now it is known about, and as an archaeologist, i would recover and place in a tank and flush with solution to reduce salts. Funding can then be sought, without the worry of what is happening to the P38 in the oggin. Perhaps a dedicated museum may be opened on a minor basis for the aircraft itself. Joint military and archy conservation, project. May get funding from arts and humanities grants and lotto.

Something similar to R for Robert Wellington at Brooklands?

Or shall members of HMVF start a commercial military archaeology branch, I'll be in.