Stug III Recovery

ajmac

Come on!!!! Spill the beans.............I have the weekend free :coffee:

Apparently the Germans dumped loads of vehicles into Lake Garda on the retreat. As fresh water, would be like the Stug in Mike Gibbs collection. But getting permission off the eyties may be harder to obtain.

I'm researching the sherman at the moment to see if in fact urban myth.

My professor at Uni told me about the Traction Engine. i f memory serves it's in Hampshire. I will email him in new year and grid ref. He did show me on the map bit forget where exactly.

If I wanted something unique, I'd love to find a StuG IV. A have a Tamiya kit somewhere if I could be bothered. Saw a programme a year or two back which claimed that the StuG III was the commonest armoured vehicle of the Second World War and so successful that when the factory was bombed out mid-war, they diverted some of the PzKpfw IV hull production to continue to produce StuGs while they rebuilt the StuG III factory.

AlienFTM

Saw a programme a year or two back which claimed that the StuG III was the commonest armoured vehicle of the Second World War

Yep:-) as a German full tracked AFV -10,252 built all marks as opposed to 5791 PzIII -170 PzIII were converted to StuG III.

The PzIV the longest manufactured full tracked German AFV managed 8519 tanks of all marks plus 4948 SPGs of all types including 1108 StugIV and 31 converted from PzIV. Production started after the StuG III prodction at the Alkett factory was bombed in 1943.

To continue the pedantic mode to its conclusion:cool2: the most common German AFV was the SdKfz 251 half track in 4 marks 15252 in all, the simplified D model ran to 10,602 on its own which makes it the most common German AFV.

Steve

Edited by steveo578
grammar

Pretty good cosmetic restoration -certainly must have been in fresh water as the type 95 had very thin armour. the oil/grease lid would be just soviet booty mechanics were often as not equiped with either western tools and trucks or what ever could be found during the war against Germany there have been several photos over the years of Steyr 1500 trucks used in Soviet service during the Far Eastern campaign.

Edited by steveo578
addition