Kegresse

Charawacky

• 5 months later...

Looks remarkably good considering that it has been stored outside for the latter part, I hope it goes well and it will be a great thread to watch. Keep up the good work.

The vehicle in question is now in possession of the RLC Museum , at Deepcut Surrey. My colleagues and I will start on it's restoration in the Autumn ! It currently has no tracks, bodywork or bonnet and wings ! So it will present quite a challenge ?

But , worry not - WE WILL SUCCEED ! I will post a photo of it in current form later ! Mikewest[ATTACH=CONFIG]60912[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]60912[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]60912[/ATTACH]

I understand it was nearly restored once before, then the owner passed away and the vehicle was left to a museum where parts were lost.

Looks like a very interesting project, I hope you can source the parts so it gets to completion this time around.

I would like to see some pictures of the engine to see how it developed between the wars

Good luck

Tom

Edited by Charawacky

• 4 months later...

Further to my report on the 30 cwt Crossley Kegresse we have made some encouraging progress ! In late November 2012 we started and ran the engine - the first time in over 50 years !! This was following the purchase of a Simms Magneto and a temporary fuel feed lash-up !! We are now about to finish fitting the fuel lines, cooling system - ( having removed a large birds nest from inside the radiator ! I kid you not !!) wiring to the dynamo and fitting the exhaust.

Better still we have purchased all the timber necessary to fit the bodywork as well as the steelwork for it's attachment. We shall start making and fitting the bodywork next month. I shall post some photos of the engine , fuel and exhaust system in the near future.

And it does get better ! I have , through the medium of an article in "La Vie de L'Auto" magazine about the P17 Citroen restoration , made contact with a garage owner in Douai , Pas de Calais Nord ,who can make new tracks for our Crossley !!

Xavier Garnier made the tracks for the P17 . Unfortunately the P17 is only 15 cwt so the same pattern will not fit our 30cwt - however , we have the Technical drawings of the Crossley and hope to visit Garnier in the not too distant future ! ( Who said learning the French Language was a waste of time ? Incroyable !!)

So Guys , during this year of 2013 , we might even see the only 30cwt Crossley - Kegresse move under it's own power !! This way we Civvies will restore the reputation of the Army and have the only 30cwt version left in the World ! Eat your Heart out Bovington !

( Always finances permitting !)

Hi guys

Now I am only a modeller, but some years ago I went round to Mike Stallwood's place near Bethersden in Kent to photograph a Conqueror that he had there (He's moved since then, but only to the next road - and I hope I have the right names). Being a nice guy he invited me to inspect his sheds and in there was an armoured Crossley-Kegresse. Now that must be really rare. Does anyone have any news on that one?

Chris

• 4 months later...
So is Tony Oliver's Crossley-Kegresse, a different model to the RLC Museum's one?

http://www.militarymodelling.com/sites/1/images/member_albums/42220/howetonwickapr2010%20(81).jpg

Yes.

Tony Oliver's Kegresse is a 15 CWT version. The one we have at Deepcut is the ONLY remaining 30 CWT Lorry !

Mikewest.100_0408.jpg Here are the most recent pictures ! ( As of last week !)

100_0475.jpg