Kegresse

Charawacky

I think there are several Citroen 'Kegresse' in existance, besides military use they were popular for trans - Sahara journeys etc. Now a tale from the past !. In my 'junior' collecting days in 1963 I heard of a Crossley 'Kegresse' for sale ( I had a contact who was a television aerial erector ,quite useful), I duely went to view the said item, it was on Lloyd George's estate at Churt , Surrey and was on offer from the gardner for £ 12/10/0d. It was declined as one track was broken. Subsequently sold it appeared in the 1964 London to Brighton commercial run. Surrey registered ,I think GPD 627, it had no doubt been acquired by the estate in the late 1930s. Original markings were still visible under a thin coat of grey paint and in very original condition. Also at the time I was told that there were two Citroen 'Kegresse' on Charingtons estate at nearby Thursley but I never got to see these.

Richard Peskett.

There are quite a few Kegresse half-tracks around, although many are missing tracks.

There are (or were) 3 Crossleys - Tony Oliver's; one that was at Beverley before it closed (on loan from the Army Museum collection?); and one that appeared in The Automobile July 1989. This last one went to France where it's half-track unit was removed for use in the restoration of another vehicle. The rest returned to the UK and helpped in Roger Bone's six-wheeler restoration. The six-wheeler and the remnants of the half-track are currenly for sale.

Tony Oliver also had another Kegresse - a Citroen I seem to remember.

As well as a lot of the Sahara Citroens, plenty of Unics also survive including armoured variants.

There's also a Alfa Romeo Kegresse in captivity, which is rather nice! http://www.classicdriver.de/uk/find/4100_results.asp?sorderby=tblManufacturers.sName+ASC%2C+tblModels.sModel+ASC%2C+bOfficial+DESC%2C+tblCars.sType+ASC&action=simple_search&coopid=0&lmanufacturer=10002&lcurrency=2&next=4100_results.asp&whatbutton.x=0&dealerid=0&bsubmit=true&lmodelflag=13782&bclicked=false&bshowstock=Wahr&page=0&lCarID=1760658

And then there's Lenin's Rolls Royce with it's early track system...

Edited by Runflat

I think there are several Citroen 'Kegresse' in existance, besides military use they were popular for trans - Sahara journeys etc. Now a tale from the past !. In my 'junior' collecting days in 1963 I heard of a Crossley 'Kegresse' for sale ( I had a contact who was a television aerial erector ,quite useful), I duely went to view the said item, it was on Lloyd George's estate at Churt , Surrey and was on offer from the gardner for £ 12/10/0d. It was declined as one track was broken. Subsequently sold it appeared in the 1964 London to Brighton commercial run. Surrey registered ,I think GPD 627, it had no doubt been acquired by the estate in the late 1930s. Original markings were still visible under a thin coat of grey paint and in very original condition. Also at the time I was told that there were two Citroen 'Kegresse' on Charingtons estate at nearby Thursley but I never got to see these.

Richard Peskett.

Richard,

My grandfather was a chauffeur to a invalided gentleman who had an estate in West Sussex. This man bought one of the first Citroen Kegresse Type P2 models to be sold in Britain, in 1922. It had a specially made bodywork so that he could travel around his estate. I have photos of my grandfather driving this vehicle and my father had memories of it. Always wondered whether it might have survived.

There are quite a few Kegresse half-tracks around, although many are missing tracks.

There are (or were) 3 Crossleys - Tony Oliver's; one that was at Beverley before it closed (on loan from the Army Museum collection?); and one that appeared in The Automobile July 1989. This last one went to France where it's half-track unit was removed for use in the restoration of another vehicle. The rest returned to the UK and helpped in Roger Bone's six-wheeler restoration. The six-wheeler and the remnants of the half-track are currenly for sale.

Tony Oliver also had another Kegresse - a Citroen I seem to remember.

As well as a lot of the Sahara Citroens, plenty of Unics also survive including armoured variants.

There's also a Alfa Romeo Kegresse in captivity, which is rather nice! http://www.classicdriver.de/uk/find/4100_results.asp?sorderby=tblManufacturers.sName+ASC%2C+tblModels.sModel+ASC%2C+bOfficial+DESC%2C+tblCars.sType+ASC&action=simple_search&coopid=0&lmanufacturer=10002&lcurrency=2&next=4100_results.asp&whatbutton.x=0&dealerid=0&bsubmit=true&lmodelflag=13782&bclicked=false&bshowstock=Wahr&page=0&lCarID=1760658

And then there's Lenin's Rolls Royce with it's early track system...

Are they advertised for sale anywhere?

Here is a Citroen Kegresse that is a regular at shows in Scotland. I don't think it has a military background, but, interestingly, was used in the Himalayas.

These photos were taken a few weeks ago at the Scone Rally near Perth. I first saw it at Knockhill in about 1988.

scone 102.jpg

scone 103.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Just to whet your apetite,

itch with antcipation

and start thinking how do i get my hands on that;

the National Army Museum are giving away a Crossley-Kegresse half track, 30cwt truck.

Only to accredited museums.

The vehicle in question is now in possession of the RLC Museum , at Deepcut Surrey. My colleagues and I will start on it's restoration in the Autumn ! It currently has no tracks, bodywork or bonnet and wings ! So it will present quite a challenge ?

But , worry not - WE WILL SUCCEED ! I will post a photo of it in current form later ! Mikewest100_0336.jpg

Edited by Mikewest
Add Photo