Crossley RFC Tender

Charawacky

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know he had a ride in it didn't you .....?

I Hope this doesn't cause any grief then .....

Oh, he told me all about it. And I was very good, I didn't beat him with a chair :-D

However, Vernon should know better!

When Can I pick up the Dv11 that is lying around, I have transport!

I now have Dv11 plans and I am studying them!

Will also investigate the fuselage mentioned to be in Germany

Thanks

Tom

there were several different factorys instructed by the German high command to start building Dv11 type aircraft.

One of course was the fokker works

another was the OAW plant..(although OAW didn`t actually build any complete aircraft)

the other was fokker`s great rival:

Albatros

the fokker built Dv11s were considered inferior in both quality of construction & materials to the other examples as the schwerin works struggled to keep up with production....about 3500-3700 examples were built between the late summer and autumn of 1918...

most Dv11 types soldiered on with the old Mercedes D111..in its overcompressed and other modification forms...but it was with the new BMW 111 that the Dv11 really shone....

there were no actual plans sent from Fokkers to the other companys instructed to start production....what fokkers would do is send a complete airframe for the other constructors to copy...for this Anthony Fokker got a 5% royalty on every complete aircraft produced by his rivals/competitors

this also meant that an aircraft produced by...say Albatros would not be entirely the same as one from Schwerin....

so plans would have to be altered/modified to suit....

Edited by flandersflyer

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately we missed the Shuttleworth event however we were on duty further south:

Very interesting day, quite formal trying to keep up to the household cavalry standard.

The 85 Wreaths representing each regiment of the British Expeditionary Force of 1914

were carried to Arras, then on to Amiens with the vehicles for the Centenary of the first flight in of the RFC on the 13th August 1914 to return that evening to Arras for service of remembrance at Faubourg d'Amiens Cemetery.

This was a moving service attended by Generals and the highest ranking members of the RAF, French services and the Richthofen Squadron (Richthofen Geschwader) of the current Luftwaffe. The service was blessed with dry weather and a biplane plus Tornado flypast.

Here is video of part of the London event:

http://www.itnsource.com/en/shotlist//ITN/2014/08/10/T10081403/

and some images:

10580015_748817875181694_2372153427282542156_n.jpg

156928579.MH1jpfbk.jpg

156928582.IAClJDdH.jpg

156928592.jt2YdbgU.jpg

156928618.DmrhMbN5.jpg

12244_748817638515051_3583727802280755546_n.jpg

10525617_748817645181717_6397265959014044926_n.jpg

10552455_748817865181695_8975940242123967621_n.jpg

Edited by Charawacky

Thank you for your comments

The vehicles are now in France at Amiens until the WW1 aero event

http://www.centenaire-aerien-somme14-18.fr/

After which they will return to England as we may no longer be the UK by then

Tom

Another BEF event link:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid2810881928001?bckey=AQ~~,AAACcS3ahoE~,OSt6CCN6H-0R_rL1tF1Y6xWx9e-7k7W6&bctid=3724504185001

• 1 month later...

The Picardie air-show was very good attended by many thousands who were attracted by the French equivalent of the red arrows, (The Patroullie de France) and free admission. There were a good number of interesting aircraft.

WW1 was the theme and two WW1 aircraft had been flown from the Czech Republic!

We drove the vehicles home over the following 6 days visiting many WW1 monuments all in very good weather.

WW1 memorabilia picked up on the way by members of the 3 man team included:

• used shell taken with permission from ploughed field in Martinpuich.
  • holed German Helmet purchased in Albert
  • 3-3/4" BROWN BOGGS, Hamilton, Ontario, CANADA. Engineers vice, Dated 1917.

The vice was particularly pleasing with the date cast in, it was red rust, stripped, but complete and was purchased for 15 euros from a large second hand storage at Les Cinq Chemins, well worth a look if you are passing.

The Tender, mainly with trailer attached did nearly 1200 miles and the Staff Car 810 miles round trip.

The difference in mileage was due to trailering Staff car some distance from Sevenoaks to the Northwest.

Pictures to follow.

Tom

Edited by Charawacky

• 2 weeks later...
Here is a piki of the 1917 vice now in its civi livery.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]97319[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]97320[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]97324[/ATTACH]

Also a jack the can anyone advise if WW1 or WW2?

A friend down the road has had similar jacks from WW1 with Albion and Leyland script cast into them.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]97322[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]97323[/ATTACH]

Thats a very nice vice, scrubbed up well

• 2 weeks later...

I have been shopping, that much is true.

Here is a poem for those who do not take the 'The Crossley Messenger' or the Crossley Register Newsletter.

This was at a time when Crossley undertook aviation work such as building Beardmore aero engines in addition to Tank engines.

Just a few years later Crossley purchased a controlling interest in AVRO which would have be the start of the ambition expressed in this poem, however they were forced to sell AVRO by the late 20's due to losses with the ill fated Willys-Overland venture.

messenger 001.jpg

The Crossley Messenger September 1918

Amazing piece of history, it was good to see the trailer and fuselage at the weekend, one of the collection's volunteers was digging through the archive of Clayton and Shuttleworth drawings and has found some general arrangement and detail pictures for an aircraft recovery trailer. Sorry we hadn't found them earlier to assist you with the build of yours, but there are plans a foot to fully catalogue what we have and see about making them available as they are now our property.

Steve

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...