Crossley RFC Tender

Charawacky

Tom, unfortunately it's not on-line so it means a visit to Kew. There is a lot of stuff there including RFC Maudsley and Peerless lorries as well.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/browse/C3304784?v=h

I stumbled across the references whilst looking for 1930s Ministry of Supply motorcycle records. The catalogue system continues to puzzle me. I've spent many happy hours trying to understand it.

Prior preparation is the key to a successful visit. They do allow copying and even have a limited number of camera stands.

We sometimes grumble about the lack of surviving records but I'm consistently amazed by just what has been retained. Incredible to think that vehicle tool kits were subject to a 30 year rule.

Rich

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
The vehicles were those used extensively by the RFC and later RAF. As the original document has an AP reference which implies an RAF one, I'll ask the RAF Museum if they have any information on it.

Ian C

I checked with the RAF Museum but, unfortunately, they don't have a copy of the original.

Ian C

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Just to brighten up a dull day here are a couple of images of the Foden and Crossley plus Crossley Tender with a Crossley Mosquito taken on a lovely day in Summer 2012 at the West Lancashire Light Railway during the naming of the French WW1 Locomotive Joffre.

West Lancs light Railway.jpg

West Lancs light Railway 2.jpg

• 2 months later...

A few Crossley Tenders were exported to Russia

There was a proposal for the Russian government to build the 20/25 and the 15hp under licence at the BEKOS factory near Moscow and by Lebedev at Yaroslavl. At least one car was made at each factory but then the Revolution intervened. The Yaroslavl plant was completed and is still in existence today producing diesel engines.

russia 1.jpg

You can see one here in a period film

Crossley in company with a Fiat 15 TER

If you look carefully the Crossley has the same lamp attached to the bulkhead as shown above.

8.23 mins in

http://statehistory.ru/1152/Avtomobili-v-pogonakh--Film-1/

Tom

Russia 2.jpg

Edited by Charawacky

• 3 weeks later...

Went up to Tanfield Railway, Gateshead, County Durham last weekend, it was a little atmospheric making for good pictures.

The trip was 110 miles one way, first substantial distance with the trailer coupled.

Took 4 hrs would have been 3.5 if I had taken the correct route!

Durham Pals were present helping the time-warp illusion.

10000991_1460972587467972_1329998944_o.jpg

IMGP5216.jpg

10153171_10154024537765574_1449822476_nC.jpg

10155790_654183471318750_1864587596_n (1).jpg

Edited by Charawacky

Nice

How are the fuselage plans coming along?

Things have got a little delayed, hopefully it looks like I will have something resembling a fuselage for August.

Cutdown restored.jpg

This is the only image showing a a plane actually being loaded onto a trailer which has come my way.

I have restored it so the trailer can now be seen more clearly.

Tom

Before and after, does not look a lot different but took a long time and I stopped when I got fed up!

Copying the Tender side lamp over to the other side was very pleasing.

Perhaps I should have another go at it.

Tom4-p18cniljliuaf14mm138g13001lo8.jpg

Colouring in.jpg

Edited by Charawacky

Fascinating. Took me some time to I.D. the aircraft; it is a Martinsyde Elephant, quite a rare beast, only 270 produced.

In addition to France, the Elephant also saw service in Palestine and Mesopotamia (now Iraq). The desert setting in the photo suggests that it was taken in one of these countries.

Do any of your original trailer images show any signs of planking or wedges lashed to the tow bar that would act as a ramp?

Not as of yet seen anything like that, The French I believe were ahead of the UK in trailer design before the war as they were much more advanced in building aircraft so the requirement was there.

However by the eve of war French trailer design was rooted in the past, it was a fully boarded full width trailer usually covered by means of hoops and canvas.

We had the advantage of starting fresh with a new concept based on the 1913 current aircraft designs.

The French loaded the aircraft with its wheels on top of the trailer flat, an aircraft already an unstable structure was supported on inflated rubber as high up as possible from the road so the tendency was to build a low trailer often with smaller wheels not as good at travelling over rough ground.

We built a narrow trailer where the aircraft wheels straddled the structure and the aircraft axle could be rigidly fixed to the trailer chassis, a lower more stable design.The British design was not covered and had large diameter twin wheels for better cross country ability.

I believe during loading the aircraft axle was dragged and balanced along the draw-bar before being supported by the chassis rails.

The centre portion of the trailer was normally not boarded and had brackets to allow stowage space for 2 lewis gun transit chests beneath the level of the trailer flat. you can see this in the pictures I have posted. Most British aircraft carried Lewis guns.

These are my own thoughts which may be correct, however I have studied the photographs carefully from a usage and build point of view to develop my own interpretation which is now on the road.

voorpagina51.jpg

French

Basically, three service trucks in the foreground Trailer transport aircraft..jpg

French

French

mo1912_aerophile.jpg

The fuselage of a Pfalz Scout being towed by R. F. C. lorry and tender. Near Villers-Carbonnel, .jpg

British

Original reads 'OFFICIAL PHOTOGRAPH TAKEN ON THE BRITISH WESTERN FRONT IN FRANCE. A newly captur.jpg

British

Edited by Charawacky

Assuming that was the common method of loading the trailer, and looking at the height of the leading edge of the deck on the two images on the last page where the drawbar is down, you would really need two solid planks as loading ramps to roll the wheels up - it is too much of a step to lift, or bump up.

Two boards on the back of the tender or stowed on the trailer then. It's possible they could be those boards across the trailer in front of and behind the aircraft wheels in one of those images as they would only have to be four or five feet long.

Assuming that was the common method of loading the trailer, and looking at the height of the leading edge of the deck on the two images on the last page where the drawbar is down, you would really need two solid planks as loading ramps to roll the wheels up - it is too much of a step to lift, or bump up.

Two boards on the back of the tender or stowed on the trailer then. It's possible they could be those boards across the trailer in front of and behind the aircraft wheels in one of those images as they would only have to be four or five feet long.

With the British design only the axle had to be lifted from the draw-bar to the deck, how the French did it I have not thought through.

And having handled some of those aircraft I can say that a small team of men would have no trouble.

In fact all it took to get an Albatros out of the back of a modern artic was about 4 men.

Here are the men ready for loading a plane 14 or so!

Tom11.jpg

Edited by Charawacky