What tracked vehicle would you buy?

agripper

Looking at all the armour about these days and the price they go for wondered what if money was no object, what people would have. I am looking at this from the point of view of fun factor rather than rarity factor. I would count out most if not all the MBT's as there is little point taking it out on the main roads. There are tons of smaller and slightly more practicle tanks and afvs there are. the CVRT range springs to mind. What I would look for is ease of parts and maintainance as well as ease of travel on the public roads . So I would not count my BARV though would love to take her to the shops!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leaving aside the issue with VOSA right now - I'm more than happy with the OT-90. Easy to drive, agile and nippy (perhaps not as much so as a CVR(T) :) ) but enough to make driving her FUN!!! Spares aren't that bad - everything is available - just that it may take a couple of weeks or more for either of the main importers to get what is required.

If its ok think I'll go for a half track Holt gun tractor , if not- then I have a picture of a realy early tank in my head , think its called a Churchhill ,, and like centi521 maybe go for a cat D6 because I know where there's one , or one like brother has

1920's grey cat 15

just checked and its not callled the Churchill , what I was thinking of was a Mark1 ,,, just looked it up on wiki , or a Renault FT-12 ,,while on there was reading about a very large French machine for WW1 at a running weight of 69tons and a crew of 12 ,, will do a search for another rare beast now by Porsche

Edited by phil munga

just checked and its not callled the Churchill , what I was thinking of was a Mark1 ,,, just looked it up on wiki , while on there was reading about a Renault very large machine for WW1 at a running weight of 69tons and a crew of 12 called FT-17 ,, will do a search for another rare beast now by Porsche

The FT17 was a small, 2 man tank weighing about 6 tons.

phil munga

a very large French machine for WW1 at a running weight of 69tons and a crew of 12

It's called a FCM2c not Renault but Forges et Chantiers de la Mediterraneehence the FCM name. Powered by 2 x 250hp Maybachs, in some ways similar to a Maus- Maybachs, electric drive, totally useless ten were built most destoryed by there own crews.

Steve

The AT-T is a good choice :)

If money and export licenses were no object I'd go for a 9A39MB (SA-11 launcher/transloader)

9A39MB-MiroslavGyurosi-1S.jpg

Not only is it a reloading vehicle with crane to transfer missiles around, but if there's a radar-equipped launcher around it can launch them itself! How cool is that? :)

As it is, when I have space I'd go for a MT-LB or SA-6 TEL.

Stone

agripper

I would love to have a crusader, though not the best or most reliable. Never understand the obsession with german armour.

At least a Crusader is in away little more than an underweight, capricious Cromwell variant, although few exist and probably none are mobile.

The obsession with German armour bothers me too. The thread almost instantly became a "what's the favourite (fantasy) tank?" Even the immediate Post war period both the British and French ran what could be regarded as extended trials on Panthers, it took all the time to keep them running, neither army seem to have managed to keep them operative for more than a year, at a time when they were almost new, with a good supply of components, so what would be the chance of an amateur, 60 years on, keeping one mobile for any length of time.

Currently after a huge some of money refurbishing the effectively complete Bovington Tiger after 77mile MTBF it is unserviceable until another tranch of £56K of appeal money/effort is forthcoming.

Steve