What tracked vehicle would you buy?

agripper

The crusader always appieled to me for no other reason than the look. I know it was full of faults but still like the look. I do though wonder what tracked vehicles are the easiest to operate and maintain. The cletrac does look like fun, Are there any vickers light tanks in private hands? Still ove the CVRT series, and would happily swap the sabre for the scimmiter in service. CAnt realy think of another which is as easy to drive and get out and ablut in. That said do wonder what is the "most practicle vehicle".

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having helped restore a couple of Halftracks and had the pleasure of driving them about to different events although they are only HALF-tracked I d pick one of them as my Favorite tracked vehicle to own if the right lottey numbers and or the Stars aligned .

On the plus side are they have a reasonably speed , the tracks are not too noisy ,the engine has a wonderful throaty sound , good visibility , ok gas mileage , very comfortable ride

On the negative side large turning radius .

The crusader always appieled to me for no other reason than the look. I know it was full of faults but still like the look. I do though wonder what tracked vehicles are the easiest to operate and maintain. The cletrac does look like fun, Are there any vickers light tanks in private hands? Still ove the CVRT series, and would happily swap the sabre for the scimmiter in service. CAnt really think of another which is as easy to drive and get out and ablut in. That said do wonder what is the "most practicle vehicle".

I used to have an international drott , now that was hard work pulling clutch levers and standing on the brakes it was all hand levers ,

engine clutch , left slew clutch , right slew clutch , gear selector , front loader controls to the right , two foot peddles one for each track brake ,, the only heavy tracked vehicle I have at the moment is a crawler tractor BTD6 with wide track and long undercarriage , just the same as the Drott but lighter so easier to operate ( play ) , but you'd still have to hang upside down if you had to remove the slewing clutches and split the main track frame supports to remove the engine

agripper

Are there any vickers light tanks in private hands?

Probably not I think Budge had a couple in the 1980s but I think they went to museums, the similarly tracked Universal, Bren, T16, Windsor and and Australian/NZ pattern are privately owned and have an advantage of being reasonably easily transported.

Apart from the less practical Ram tank or Sherman my personal favourites would be would be a PBV 301 APC or the SPG the SAV 43, Swedish build quality, fairly easy to move around, down side probably all converted to fake WW2 Marder type SPGs by now.

Steve

SAV m43.jpg

SAV m43.jpg

If money was no object and I had a wallah to o the scut work then I think a full set of the petrol CVR(T) variants plus the newer diesel variants.

Add to that a Hagglunds BV 206 D6 and a Clark aiportable bulldozer with scraper bowl.

To round it all off the latest version of the BARV in service in the UK would be the best for playing down at the beach.

For the moment its all a pipe dream as I have to maintian someone else's collection.

Robin

At least a Crusader is in away little more than an underweight, capricious Cromwell variant, although few exist and probably none are mobile.

Steve

Sorry to correct you Steve but the Crusader III at Bovy is a fine runner and it is magic to hear and to drive! It will be getting a full cosmetic restoration (does not need any replacements etc, it is all there) in the spring of 2010 hopefully. Only real problems are leaky radiators, rotted rubber pipes in various places and crumbling insulation on the wiring harness. All the mechanics and pneumatics work a treat although I did have to make one air compressor from two to make it run as it has, in effect, aired-on track clutches and also air powered steering and with no air pressure, it goes nowhere fast!

John Pearson

Sorry to correct you Steve

It's good to be put right, thanks for the correction, I remember seeing the photos of it firing it main armament but had been told it was o/s in the late 1990s another case of a latrine rumour.:???

have a good New year

Steve

fadedsun

Or a T-55..

Could be a good choice- the ex East German T54 in this photo was left on a range for 12 years with the hatches open, there was a tide mark around the fighting compartment from the lake that formed each year. Surprisingly once dried out it was started up (although a new starer had to be fitted from a Czech T54 further down range). It was fortunate in that it was placed in an indirect firing range and although a Milan team attempted to kill it, they fired too close and missed the target. It is now in a private museum.

I would think a BMD although nice and compact would be a bit more problematic, unless the tracks were locked in the drive position, I have heard the suspension is a bit fragile. Regarding Russian airborne stuff the ASU 57 looks fun -but is probably a bit fragile too.

t54.jpg

t54.jpg

Jack

The M4 HST look as mad as hell

They are very cute, but I'm surprised the M5 and M6 HST don't get a look in, I saw a photo in an architecture book of a surplus M6 working with a bulldozer to move a historic house in the USA, it was impressive. I believe some M6 were in British Army Inventory as part of the 240mm Howitzer M1 trains it would be interesting to know their fate.

Adrian Barell

That would be a Mk VI then!

A Mk4 remains a Mk4 even with a 75mm gun, only those built as Mk6 are MK6 and are in the contract number blocks T17**** and T25****. They have the universal cast turret with the same features as Mk5 (95mm How) and some late build Mk4s with 6pdr. These features are revised shape of the casting with enlarged barrel access plate and hole, squared off mantlet apperture. The term Mk6 to describe a cast turreted churchill with 75mm gun is at best a short hand description but is actually sloppy research from the 1960s.

Rebuild Mk4 with 75mm could start life as a Mk2, an example is the former Bovington Gateguard now at I of W numbered T251952 (incorrect). It started off as a Mk2 -small turret without the cone bolts on the hull, during one of its rebuilds it had a new cast turret with a 6pdr, then circular cones welded over the screw holes, new suspension, 7inch air outlet and of course a 75mm. The ex Otterburn Mk4 AVRE is similar as was the Feldom Mk4 but it had applique.

As an example T31531 a Mk2 called Shipply when it served in 43rd Bt RTR, still numbered T31531 now called Bradford rebuilt with a new turret as a Mk4 (6pdr) without the weld on cones on the hull (see photo in Mr Churchills Tank). It is perfectly possible that the same tank could have morphed into any of the 3 mentioned tanks above (Bovington,OTA or Feldom) or could be the Mk4 hard target found buried on SPTA in 1985- or none of the above.

The reason why so many of these early production Churchills survived into the new century is due to the multiple rebuild programmes allowing early tanks to go for rebuild in 1944, many were retained in reserve, training or further development, some may have even back loaded from the battlefield and rebuilt see photo.

An ex OTA Churchill Mk4 AVRE, probably placed by towing in the early 1960s and may have been a driver training vehicle, turret locked rearward and hull Besa mount blocked with timber. Note the welded shot damage across the glacis and into the the armour near the Besa mount between the two vertical armour fixing bolts (note the remenant of the 79th AD triangle above the hit).

Otterburn Churchill.JPG

Otterburn Churchill.JPG

Edited by steveo578
grammar

I too was going to reply to adrian with the same answer as steve but felt it rather churlish and so i took the moral high ground not wanting to engage in such tit for tat antics.

It is quite clear to anyone with even a small amount of knowledge on the churchill that a mk4 75 mm and a mk 6 are completely different,one has weldy bits on the turrety thing with cones on and the other has enlarged holes in the barrel for plate access(to allow feeding of the crew when hull down).I hope this clears up any confusion.

regards eddy

ps. steve i owe you yet another pint

We all have to admit that Churchills are not the most easy vehicle to pin down, my ID starts and finishes on Square or Round Hull escape hatches :-) When did the last Gun tank get retired?

Oh PS. Why are there one or two on public display in Iraq? Did the post WW2 Iraqi army use them?

I too was going to reply to adrian with the same answer as steve but felt it rather churlish and so i took the moral high ground not wanting to engage in such tit for tat antics.

It is quite clear to anyone with even a small amount of knowledge on the churchill that a mk4 75 mm and a mk 6 are completely different,one has weldy bits on the turrety thing with cones on and the other has enlarged holes in the barrel for plate access(to allow feeding of the crew when hull down).I hope this clears up any confusion.

regards eddy

ps. steve i owe you yet another pint

Thanks for the lecture Eddy. Your grasp of the technical terms shows you are an expert.....:-D