What tracked vehicle would you buy?

agripper

The standard army ID could be used

"its green and has tracks -its a tank":)

Or filling up the Bedford at a BP petrol station;

Attendant ':shocked: It's a tank!'

Me: 'No, it's a truck, it's just painted green. :n00b:'

Stone

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ajmac

When did the last Gun tank get retired?

Oh PS. Why are there one or two on public display in Iraq? Did the post WW2 Iraqi army use them?

The last gun tank use was in Ireland at the curagh the extremely refurbished Mk4 75 sometimes called a Mk11 Light turret (its debatable whether the Mk9 to 11 either heavy or light turret were ever built), was used for gunnery training until 1970.

The Iraqi Churchills were the nucelus of the Iraqi Armoured force when the British left in 1949 they were mostly if not all Mk7 I think there were 12 -enough for a light squadron and HQ, they also had some ex British armoured cars which were probably more use.

Some years ago with consulation with an Arabic speaking acquaintance we came to the conclusion that the often published photo of a Churchill Mk7 (below) purporting to be a Jordanian Churchill was in probably an Iraqi Churchill Mk7- the inscription which reads something like "the sword of....." is more in keeping with the Royal Iraq Army rather than Jordanians who as far as I'm aware didin't have Churchills.

Steve

PostwarChurchill.jpg

PostwarChurchill.jpg

Where tanks are concerned, all I can say is Deutchland uber alles. King Tiger or Panther, in all honesty I would be pushing it to buy an M3 halftrack ( very cool ) But if money was no object that would be my choice. I can totally understand the obsession with German armour.

Next choice would be the Centurion. If it had reached service a few months earlier it would have been the best tank of WW2.

The standard army ID could be used

"its green and has tracks -its a tank":)

Steve

Ah - the one that always gives me trouble - as in:

"You;ve got a tank"

"No - I haven't"

Yes you have"

"NO - I haven't"

"You have - it's green, it's got tracks and it's got a turret - it's a tank!"

"It's also got little hatches down the side for soldiers to poke their bang sticks out and go "bang - two - three- bang etc" - therefore it's an IFV not a tank.

I rarely win the argument....:cry:

• 2 weeks later...
Its something practical that could be used in an emergency

I tried that one on the missus that but she said I'd 'gone a bit Ray Mears' :-D

Bit worried what you'd be using the MG turret for, some emergency!

My thoughts keep returning to the MTLB/variants - tons made, run off a (big) truck engine and they even made a set of track with rubber inserts! Just need somewhere to put it...

Stone

I tried that one on the missus that but she said I'd 'gone a bit Ray Mears' :-D

Bit worried what you'd be using the MG turret for, some emergency!

My thoughts keep returning to the MTLB/variants - tons made, run off a (big) truck engine and they even made a set of track with rubber inserts! Just need somewhere to put it...

Stone

I have 2 Ferrets and a Pig in my collection and a genuine Browning 1919A4 to go with them. I am sure I could fit it into a 432 turret with a little tinkering :cool2: God Bless America.

091.jpg

DSC00179.jpg

I have 2 Ferrets and a Pig in my collection and a genuine Browning 1919A4 to go with them. I am sure I could fit it into a 432 turret with a little tinkering :cool2: God Bless America.

Hmm - 423's don't - as a general rule - have turrets. This could be a slight block to your plans!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hmm - 423's don't - as a general rule - have turrets. This could be a slight block to your plans!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Um yeah thanks but many were. Apparently you missed the earlier part of our conversation where I wanted a 432 WITH turret of which there are quite a few models. Armourgeddon has a ton of them in its own inventory. There are 4 models with gun/cannon turrets at least and thats not including the missile equipped models. Appreciate your chuckles though. Very helpful.

- FV432 Basic APC

- Command vehicle

- Ambulance

- Cargo carrier

- Recovery vehicle

- Wavell (ECM)

- FV432 Infantry 81mm Mortar

- 120mm Wombat

- 84mm Infantry Gun

- 7.62mm MG Turret (2 types)

- 30mm Rarden Turret

- Radar GS #14

- Milan

- FV432 Artillery FACE

- Cymberline

- FV432 Engineer Ranger (AP mine layer)

- FV433 Abbot 105mm SPG

- FV434 Carrier Maintenance

- FV438 Swingfire launcher

- FV439 Signals vehicle

Gpmgpic10.JPG

Edited by Marines42

Dont know what it is about the eak turret but it makes the 432 look more like a Darlek , also makes it more fun. Did think about getting a turreted 432 before the sabre but didn't like the look of the outline, looked to high, unlike the peak turret which my wife thinks looks cute!