Are you bored of...

Jack

For me, no. I've only been in this hobby for four years, and even with the hundreds of Jeeps out there, being a 'MB/GPW/M201 Differences Spotter', they all have interest to me.

Every vehicle has a story to tell. Talking to the owner will make them all more interesting than just looking along a row of trucks and seeing yet another GMC with a battery held on by a bit of string, a pink cushion on the drivers seat and no petrol in the tank. :-D

Steve

I think if you go to the same local shows to your own area then it can get a bit samey as you can pretty well predict who you'll see and what vehicles will be in attendance but if the opportunity arises to spread your wings a bit and go somewhere you've not been before it can and does make all the difference .

A few observations: As a photographer of MV's, the spacing of vehicles close together like Sainsbury's car park or the placing of civi vehicles and portaloos often stops me from taking a good shot. I'm an owner and turn up for free (mostly) but I know many modellers who come in as 'paying public' and if they can't examine or photograph vehicles either they may not come again! So organisers need to think about this aspect.

Secondly owners have said to me very recently that they do enjoy their 30 seconds of fame with a turn round the arena where the comentator introduces the vehicle and says a little about its history. This was the norm at the MV shows held in Duxford in 1980s and these owners have said they will not go to certain shows ' just to be ignored'. Incidentally they were not talking about W & P where they appreciate that there is no time for everyone to get a turn round the arena.

Another thing I have noticed is that MV owners bring along the MV's set them up in a realistic setting under yards of camo netting and then they themselves retreat to the centre of their display so that they are un-approachable to the public - much the same as someone is who is unapproachable in their tent lying on their camp bed. No wonder many of these owners look bored as none of the public have said hello! Compare this with those who put out a display of kit near their MV for the public to touch and ask questions.

Incidentally those in to re-enactment / living history could learn from this by letting the public actually walk THROUGH their trenches and interact with them. I've not seem many people chatting to people dressed as German soldiers when they are hidden in a trench behind mounds of earth and sand bags. Once again its no surprise they look bored and even less approachable.

So whether its an MV display or living history its a shame that exhibitors get ignored especially as they have put so much effort in to their uniforms and kit.

Edited by LarryH57

I think if you go to the same local shows to your own area then it can get a bit samey as you can pretty well predict who you'll see and what vehicles will be in attendance but if the opportunity arises to spread your wings a bit and go somewhere you've not been before it can and does make all the difference .

I agree, thats one of the reasons I went to Bunker Bash, and W&P, you have to spread your wings, and do a few distance shows. Its the same in any of the vehicle hobbys, whether it is buses, trucks, cars etc, if you go to the local (ie 20-50 mile radius from your location) you will see the same vehicles, stalls etc.

Dont get me wrong, I like local shows, but to see new vehicles, you need to travel

Mark

letting the public actually walk THROUGH their trenches and interact with them. I've not seem many people chatting to people dressed as German soldiers when they are hidden in a trench behind mounds of earth and sand bags. Once again its no surprise they look bored and even less approachable QUOTE]

Acouple of years ago i visited old Sarum near Salisbury where English Heritage were through living history showing the lifr of both sides in the 1st world war, and they had a superb tour of the German trench with a guide and the visit ended in a section of trench where the types of uniform,weapons,ration etc were used.

The day also had displys of Lewis gunners and a mock dogfight by aircraft of both nations brilliant day out.

Ashley

At Dover Castle, and at Detling the 10th Essex built an above ground trench. The public were queing for hours. The problems unfortunatley are health & saftey (as usual) Damage, people take libertys with your stuff that they'd get apoplectic if you did with theirs, and theft.

At Dover Castle, and at Detling the 10th Essex built an above ground trench. The public were queing for hours. The problems unfortunatley are health & saftey (as usual) Damage, people take libertys with your stuff that they'd get apoplectic if you did with theirs, and theft.

Indeed, maybe a re-enacter could talk to interested public from the visitors side to explain?

People get info without civilians in the trench ruining the historical view for people taking pictures.

Indeed, maybe a re-enacter could talk to interested public from the visitors side to explain?

People get info without civilians in the trench ruining the historical view for people taking pictures.

We do talk to the public. You get asked everything from Why do you hate the Germans?, that needs some quick thinking, to explaing about Big Bertha. Fortubnatley the 10th have Craig, he's great with the public. If you are really lucky, the 'Turns' are on in the evening. Broad sense of humour required. :-D:cool2::shocked:

http://www.kenttv.com/