hi all, i bought this old girl i think it was 1984 for 500 pounds after laying in a field near sevenoaks in kent.it was bought at a military auction from the reme by dick pettman the well known jeep parts man and sold to a recovery agent and never used. it took two years to restore and fitted with a closed cab i did many hundreds of miles with it including many trips to normandy. it had bad oil pressure and eventually the crank snapped in three places, such are the joys of diamonds, hope of interest tony g.

scan0011.jpg

scan0010.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

hi all, on one of the first imps tours to normandy i believe it was 1982 we came across this yard not far from arromanches with several jimmies and dodges straight from collection yards absolutley original condition, also there was this diamond 969 wrecker in immaculate condition and fantastic cab change. in those days everywhere you travelled you came across yards and farms with ww2 trucks parked up, hope of interest, tony g.

scan0017.jpg

For Sale.

Dyson tank transporter trailers for sale. Pair of FV3601 four-axle 32-wheel trailers to accompany Diamond T or Antar; One very complete and one fairly complete (tank stop and drawbar cut off), both need full renovation, but becoming rare now. 18 tons of fun! The pair for sale together at £9500 o.v.n.o. Offering these on behalf of a friend.

Lying south coast of UK. Haulage cost; around £1k each to mid-UK. (Transportation quote available-- haulier awaiting instruction.) New project and change of direction forces sale.

Serious buyers. For further info/pictures--- pm me or e-mail antarman@orange.fr

Hi I am looking for at bit of advice.

What is a VERY VERY early Diamond T 969 closed cab worth.

I have been offered the one hidding in the picture.

It has been standing in the same spot since 95, it is complet and most of the recovery gear is pressent.

The head has been off the engine as it has burnt a valve seat. The cab seems to be in good shape still with no rot that I could see around door bottoms, windows and edges. the door hinges, battery compartment door and some of the parts on the wrecker body where rough and rotten.

Is the Floor of the wrecker body wood or metal? as I am bit worried that it might be very bad as it was full of rotting leaves.

Cheers

IMG_0596.JPG

The floor should be metal. Areas that are prone to rot are the rear cab mounting area and the area where the cowl is bolted to the cab. As far as value, I would offer scrap value (maybe less) since it is a non runner. Are all the body pieces there, as I see a fender laying on the ground. The only wood in the cab are a renforcement piece in each door.

Are all the door handles present and the guages, as the original Stewart Warner Military ones are hard to find and trim pieces are very hard to find.

John G

Edited by 42 chevy

Thanks John

All the body pieces schould be there from what I could tell.

The door handles where there but I could/would not open the doors to check it inside due to the hinges.

Does the fact that it has a very low chassis number effect the price, or is it just a fun fact.

IMG_0598.JPG

IMG_0599.JPG

IMG_0605.JPG

IMG_0606.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

IMG_0609.jpg

IMG_0610.jpg

IMG_0611.jpg

IMG_0612.jpg

IMG_0613.jpg

IMG_0624.jpg

IMG_0625.jpg

IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0633.jpg

IMG_0634.JPG

IMG_0636.jpg

The chassis number has, in my opinion, no effect on price, however the early trucks with civilian guages are rare. I think the crown jewel on that truck is the air compressor, that is VERY rare, most got discarded decades ago. Remember, there is reason that truck got parked in the first place, something did not work , however, nice find, first impression is that it looks like a good restoration candidate. Lots of knowledge on this forum to help you sort out the bits.

John G

Thanks John

I will have to think hard about this one.... I think this would have had civilian gauge, but they might have been change during its post war millitary usage in Norway.

I have seen it running and driving, back in 95 (when I was child and could stand underneath its front wings), and the valve was the reason it got parked.

Its by the way chassis number 00007

That's a very early chassis number, sad to see such a great machine left like it! I have a lot of engine spares for the rxc engine, but l think this one would eat into most of them. From what pics have been posted it looks like it could be an ex Danish army lorry, like for like its got the same mods as my wrecker . If you get a chance to revisit it, just out of pot luck take a look under the dash and you might be lucky and find a canvas book folder. If there is, it could contain its service history from the sixties as my wrecker had this!