hi, a couple of before and after shots i took on chislehurst common the last time i was in england just five minutes from my daughters house, a lot of military vehicles were photographed at these spots, the one with the church spire in the back ground is with the 15th century tigers head pub behind me , the second with the diamond and rogers trailer , at the back is the crown public house, apart from new lamposts and slightly new road layout nothing has changed , hope of interest tony g.

Church Spire - Now.jpg

C'hurst Spire DT Then.jpg

The Crown - Now.jpg

C'hurst The Crown DT Then.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
hi a friend of mine who had a transport business near paris has sadly passed away and his wife is selling the business including the company diamond t, it is fitted with a cummins 220 and is all up and running, if anybody is interested you can contact me here on private message, hope of interest, tony g.

Hi Tony. I know of two guys in the UK who are after Diamond T's, can you give me a phone number (via this site) to ring for more info, please. have ehard your two are for sale would have love dthe Pickfords one, but cant afford to buy or run it.

Regards from

Dick Smith

hi a friend of mine who had a transport business near paris has sadly passed away and his wife is selling the business including the company diamond t, it is fitted with a cummins 220 and is all up and running, if anybody is interested you can contact me here on private message, hope of interest, tony g.

Dear Tony.

I have two facebook friends who are after a Diamond T, have saved your photos of the Paris one so if you dont mind I will send them to both guys, both are keen as mustard to get their hands on one, Clint Walker was trying to get the one from Rush Green Motors, but the owner put the price up to £8k shame as it would be worth saving ex Murphy's, the other chap is Bill Rushton he has just rebuilt an old Army Bedford looks excellent now, think it had been used for film work.

Hope your able to sell your friends T to one of my friends.

Regards from

Dick Smith

(dizzy-t)

hi dizzy, you can contact me here on 0033231101198 for the diamond in paris, and as an aside have reluctently put my pickfords diamond on the market after owning it for close on forty years, all the best tony g.

will send you a private message

Edited by dizzy-t
dont wnat this message to go out , not for public use.

Belgian Diamond Friends to Normandy 2014

The vehicles:

5 Diamond M20

1 Mack NM

3 Rogers trailer

1 Freuhauff trailer

2 Jeep MB

2 Dodge WC 57

1 CAT D4

1 INTERNATIONAL SCRAPER

We made it to Normandy in 3 days at 200km each day. With an average speed of 25km/h.

Looking forward to the 75th anniversary.

Greetings from Belgium

Normandy 70th 2014 480.jpg

Normandy 70th 2014 012.jpg

Normandy 70th 2014 015.jpg

Normandy 70th 2014 052.jpg

Normandy 70th 2014 054.jpg

Excellent commitment Claes. I stumbled across some of your group in a farm yard in Meuvaines on the 6th after spending the day in Arromanches. Was great to see and thanks for sharing the pictures.

• 3 weeks later...
hi dizzy, you can contact me here on 0033231101198 for the diamond in paris, and as an aside have reluctently put my pickfords diamond on the market after owning it for close on forty years, all the best tony g.

Hi Tony,I work for a company in Australia called Rex J Andrews Engineered Transportation and we are now the proud owners of your old Diamond T winch truck and was wondering if you had any info or pictures of the old girl working.

We are putting it in a few shows and it creates a lot of interest but unfortunately we don't know a great deal about her.

My boss bought it from France late last year.

Thanks Chad

Hi Chad,

Thanks for your enquiry. I have seen the photos of my old diamond at a show in Aussie, pity they have had that horrible stainless exhaust put up behind the cab but there we go. The Diamond was converted by Bill Jackson who was managing director of Chaseside Eengineering who built the famous cable operated loading shovels in the 1930s with Fordson Standards, Fordson E27N and Fordson Major E1A, later also with hydraulics. When Chasesides finished Bill Jackson started Dial Holmes UK converting heavy trucks to wreckers with Holmes equipment. Your Diamond was fitted with wartime Garwood wrecking gear from a Canadian Mack. Gatward Recovery from Maidstone in Kent bought the Diamond from Bill Jackson and had the choice of two, the other wrecker with Garwood gear went to Crow Carrying the famous tanker people. I have several photos of the wrecker in use and i will post later. The picture depicted is the recovery of a hydracon crane which toppled over trying to lift some storage tanks down by the river Medway in Kent. I hope this is of interest to you. As an aside my beautiful Pickfords Diamond is up for sale on Hemmings in America.

All the best.

Tony G.

Gatwoods Recovery on the Medway.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I hope this is the right spot formy question.

I'm a scale modeller and I'm pretty close to finish my latest project : A M19 Tank Transporter.

There is one question I can't find any answer to on any picture I have found of a Diamond T 980/981.

Between the trailer and the tractor are 2 security chains and I just can't figure out how and where exactly those chains are connected to the tractor. It seems that those chains have some hooks on the one end and that those hooks are connected to the sides of the frame. But I just can't find a picture of those parts in detail.

Does anyone can help me with this riddle ?

Thanks a lotin advance !

Bye, Dirk

Hi guys,

I hope this is the right spot formy question.

I'm a scale modeller and I'm pretty close to finish my latest project : A M19 Tank Transporter.

There is one question I can't find any answer to on any picture I have found of a Diamond T 980/981.

Between the trailer and the tractor are 2 security chains and I just can't figure out how and where exactly those chains are connected to the tractor. It seems that those chains have some hooks on the one end and that those hooks are connected to the sides of the frame. But I just can't find a picture of those parts in detail.

Does anyone can help me with this riddle ?

Thanks a lotin advance !

Bye, Dirk

Hi Dirk. On my Wynns Diamond T I just put two small hooks directly onto the chassic, so taht the chains can be fixed to the them, dont forget to cross the chains over, if you send me your email address (via this site) I will take a photyo of my version and let you have a copy.

Regards from

Dick (dizzy-t).

Hi Dick,

this would surely help me a lot.

I will send you my email address by personal message.

But what exactly do you mean with crossing the chains ? On all the pictures I have seen it looks like the chains aren't crossed. Do you have any closer information about this ?

Thanks !

Dirk

hi warlock, to put your mind at rest, the tractor 980/ 981 were never fitted with a facility for security chains, if the trailer did break away and was full of air the brakes would come on. i had a couple of diamonds that had a post war modification with two pieces of 1/2 steel with 2 inch holes in them riveted to the under side of the chassis. i think sometimes these safety chains had rings on them that fitted over the towing jaw, hope of interest, tony g.

Hi Tony,

this surely helps me a lot !

Thank you very much for this answer !

In the meantime appeared a second question to me.

It is absolutely clear to see where the electricity cable was connected to the truck.

But I can't find out where if was connected to the trailer.

You'd make me pretty happy if you could help with this one.

Bye Dirk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
We`ve been storing this one for a friend and last week took it out for the first time since around 1983.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102063[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]102064[/ATTACH]

What a coincident,I was sorting out my loft today and came across the brochure fromCobbaton Combat Collection, in it is a photograph of this same Diamond T, I believe that at one time this belonged to Watts Garages in Lydney, I know they had three, the Gloucester one was painted light Blue, the Monmouth one was painted Red & so the Lydney one was painted White, nice to see the old girl seeing the light of day again.

hi dizzy, i hope i am not being pedantic but the cobberton diamond is not the watts of lydney one, the cab on the cobberton diamond is the civilian version with no cab vent and no vent on the scuttle, the watts cab is the military one. it is a long time since i have seen the cobberton diamond but i am sure it was a 980 and clearly the watts t is a 981, it also has a big air cleaner outside the bonnet probably a cummins engine, i know the cobberton diamond had an engine change but i cannot remember the type, it would be nice if the other watts diamonds photos came to light, all the best ,tony g.

hi dizzy, i hope i am not being pedantic but the cobberton diamond is not the watts of lydney one, the cab on the cobberton diamond is the civilian version with no cab vent and no vent on the scuttle, the watts cab is the military one. it is a long time since i have seen the cobberton diamond but i am sure it was a 980 and clearly the watts t is a 981, it also has a big air cleaner outside the bonnet probably a cummins engine, i know the cobberton diamond had an engine change but i cannot remember the type, it would be nice if the other watts diamonds photos came to light, all the best ,tony g.

Thank you for your reply Tony, I am only going on what Watts of Lydney told me. I only have one photo of I think The Lydney DT, but this is a black and white photo, if only I could remember how to put photos on here I would put my photo on.