i am all confused here the t in the last few pictures is it the one originally owned by chaseside engineering???? and the posts on this topic are they made by Albert Carter eg post 977 who used to drive for Chaseside when owned by Bill Jackson ?????

Edited by cosrec

Hi cosrec, I am sorry for the confusion. My wrecker was modified after military service by Bill Jackson of Chaseside Engineering along with several other 980,981 50 ton tractors. It was purchased by Geoff Gatwood and served as Gatwood's heavy recovery wrecker. Arthur Carter has restored his own machine and has never had anthing to do with Chaseside's. I hope this clears things up for you. All the bst Tony G.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi cosrec, I am sorry for the confusion. My wrecker was modified after military service by Bill Jackson of Chaseside Engineering along with several other 980,981 50 ton tractors. It was purchased by Geoff Gatwood and served as Gatwood's heavy recovery wrecker. Arthur Carter has restored his own machine and has never had anthing to do with Chaseside's. I hope this clears things up for you. All the bst Tony G.

Coincedence then bill jacksons main driver and forman at Chaside and wreckers international was also called Albert Carter

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well done, Where can we come and see this then? I've ordered my glass today, does any one know if there should be a channel like the ones in the door side around the top of the door or does the pop out frame hold the glass track in? I can not find any pictures any where and I did not strip the door. Thanks David.

When the wind screen is in next week I am planning the first outing ever. (round the block of course).

That forelast picture of Zemsi shows a Diamond T wrecker with a larger cable drum. I saw one of those a few years ago and presumed the drum was a civvy modification. But, over the past few years I have seen quite a few. Is this larger drum a wartime thing or a post-war mod?? or just an early vs late production feature??

Alex

Picked up today this very early 980 chassisnr 98000028.

With spare wheel in the middle of the body.

The only survivor of these first produced Diamond T's[ATTACH=CONFIG]67968[/ATTACH] 980 ???

Klaas Boerema

Is there a bulhead on this vehicle?, would like to know the history of it, seems as chassic numbers go, that this is a lower number than Adrian Masons, his being 9800373. Good luck with putting he rback together again, more photos please.

Dizzy-t.

The only survivor of these first produced Diamond T's[ATTACH=CONFIG]67968[/ATTACH] 980 ???

Klaas Boerema

Nice one Klass, look forward to seeing your progress.

I took my bonnet off t'other day as the hinge had become detached, we freed of the hinge then welded it back on, after that we re-bolted the bonnet. Putting the whole assembly back over the engine was so easy with the fork truck and two sticks. Would not want to do this by hand

photo 4.jpg

Klaas Boerema

Thats good news, we considered having her, but decided we had enough on at the moment.

Glad someone saved her, she was for sale for ages.

All the best finishing her off Klaas.

Richard

What is exactly a bulhead ? Yess its the Millweb one.

I will put the dessert sand color on her, the collar it had 71 years

ago on service in North Africa

Klaas.[ATTACH=CONFIG]68146[/ATTACH]

The bulkhead is the part which joins the bottom of the windscreen to the chassic, all the dials and switches on the dash board are attached to this lump of metal, it is positioned behind the engine (it seperates the engine from that drivers cab.