Evening All

Had the chance to show my Soft top Diamond T 981 off in the sunshine last weekend

to two new friends, David and Nigel who travelled over the Peak District and suprised them

with a drive around a local industrial estate.

whilst playing, David asked about the axle articulation on the "T".

I hope the pictures show just how good it is

Steve

MaccDT

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68869[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]68870[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]68871[/ATTACH]

movie of same. David.

Hi All

Interesting photo of Diamond T and 50 ton trailer with Centurion Tank. This particular Diamond has the civilian cab with the two extra rear windows and no cab ventilators. There was no vent in the front of the windscreen and the scuttle was a different shape. The bonnet was made of thinner material and went straight across the front of the cab. The two windscreens had wind out handles and only opened about three inches. The reg. no. is 57 BN 30.

Hope of interest.

Tony G.

Hi Tony , thanks for posting, the more i read the more i learn. I had not realised there was such a difference in the two varients.

hi all,i was given these photos many years ago by the scott family who lived quite close to me in westerham in kent, mr walter scott senior is on the left standing beside his knox tractor when working for pickfords in the early 1930s, his son wally junior is driving the rear diamond t of this outfit in its way to littlebrook power station near dartford in kent, this picture was taken in the mid fifties, it shows that even pickfords could fiddle number plates, the rear tractor was number fyv741 which was completely written off in the famous boroughbridge incident in 1945, the front diamond t is glu654 and the diamond in the picture is fyv740 which was the lead tractor at boroughbridge and escaped any damage. fyv740 and fyv741 were the first diamond ts used in england in 1943 by a civilian enterprise, the trailer was called the abortion and also ended in the river at boroughbridge but was pulled out undamaged. i have video of this move and the whole outfit became bogged down in the road up to the power station, hope of interest, tony g.

Pickfords.jpg

Knox.jpg

the trailer was called the abortion and also ended in the river at boroughbridge but was pulled out undamaged..

I thought so as there are pictures of it still working in the late '50s pulled by Constructors; Bob Tuck claimed it was a write off after Boroughbridge.

Good picture here: pickford 20

Edited by radiomike7

hi, radiomike, thanks for replying, i have never seen any photos of constructors towing 3443 the abortion, perhaps if you have some you maybe able to post them on the constructor thread, thanks again for the interest, the 85 tonner and the 200 tonner survive at dorset, the abortion was rated at 120 tons and has disappeared into the ether and after exhaustive searches many years ago we can only assume that it was cut up, thanks again tony g.

If anyone would like the very last 45/60 Ton float made by Cranes (new in 1964 to Wrekin Roadways), let me know.

The paint isn't as good as in this old photo! Straight but not for the faint hearted.

P.S. In case anyone is not familiar with the size of these float trailers, that is NOT a pedigree race horse - it's a big dog :-D

Crane Float.jpg

Edited by N.O.S.

hi, radiomike, thanks for replying, i have never seen any photos of constructors towing 3443 the abortion, perhaps if you have some you maybe able to post them on the constructor thread, thanks again for the interest, the 85 tonner and the 200 tonner survive at dorset, the abortion was rated at 120 tons and has disappeared into the ether and after exhaustive searches many years ago we can only assume that it was cut up, thanks again tony g.

There are two photos on page 27 of Bob Tuck's book 'Move it', the lower one is the trailer in 1958 loaded with a Parsons component and pulled by a Junior UXA 724 with an 80 tonner pushing.

The centre photo may be the same trailer but it is not very clear. Date is 1956 and the tractors are a 45 tonner, a 6x6 Constructor and a Mountaineer.

Hi John

you lucky !!!!!!!!! i was looking for a cab for nearly three years,

i guess you just have to know who to ask.

i still am looking for a Bulk Head, is there one under the Bedford Cab??

let me know

cheers

MaccDT

(Steve)

hi maccdt, i sold a soft top cab to rex cadman about 20 years ago and this year on one of my visits to the uk i popped down to have a pint with rex and low and behold he still had the scuttle in his workshop, it did,nt look in bad nick, if you give rex a call he can only say no, hope of some help, all the best, tony g.

Hi John

you lucky !!!!!!!!! i was looking for a cab for nearly three years,

i guess you just have to know who to ask.

i still am looking for a Bulk Head, is there one under the Bedford Cab??

let me know

cheers

MaccDT

(Steve)

Hi Steve, yes there is one, as it was a soft cab previously its not well, but may be of use to you, bear with me i will try to unsheet and take some photos for you if it ever stops raining here.

Hi All, I had a bit of a mishap at the beach today. John do you want to sell the cab?!!! Seriously, this Diamond ended up at the bottom of a ravene in Tunisia together with a 50 ton Dyson trailer and Centurion. I have the full set of the recovery operation with 5 T's winching up the outfit. Will post some more later. All the best. Tony G.

Squashed.jpg

Hi All, I had a bit of a mishap at the beach today. John do you want to sell the cab?!!! Seriously, this Diamond ended up at the bottom of a ravene in Tunisia together with a 50 ton Dyson trailer and Centurion. I have the full set of the recovery operation with 5 T's winching up the outfit. Will post some more later. All the best. Tony G.

Nice one Tony!!:laugh: I look forward to you posting the rest.

Further photos of the Diamind T outfit being recovered from the bottom of a ravine in Tunisia. The 5 Diamonds are coupled together with the rear two doing the winching. The 50 ton Dyson trailer has been dragged up and lies on the road. The Centurion Tank is upside down in the ravine before being righted by winching. I will post some more of the operation later.

All the best. Tony G.

3 Tunisia.jpg

1 Tunisia.jpg

2 Tunisia.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

hallo, I am Eric and i have 981 and I want to replace the engine by another make. Can someone tell me which kind of engines go in a 981. I have Scania and volvo's but the one is the starter on the left hand side but the steering box stays in it's way.

The other a Volvo has the outlet manifold on the left and again the the steeringbox stands there where the pipe must pass.

Maybe has someone here experience with other engines or whit Scania's or Volvo.

For me here in Belgium it is difficult to find a Cummins for it.

hopefully can someone tell me something more.

With kind regards, Eric