HMVF PHOTO SHOOT - Part 2

Jack

Many thanks to everyone for their support and positive input for this idea. To recap: Mark and Lee have been upfront with the organisational end regarding dealing with Rex and co (as far as I can see, I hope this is correct). Thank you...

Reality: the arena is being progressively booked for formal post show events around the 1800/1830 time on the main days Thurs-Sun.

Photographer's comment: After 1800 the light becomes very tricky to work in. It can be passive and a bit flat, but entirely usable (See John B's SAS centre spread in the recent CMV) or it can be porridge grey and dead as it was when I snapped the Reos last year on Thurs. Then again, it can be a big contrasty colour fest. You pays your money. It matters not a jot who is in the arena in any capacity - given agreement is in place with the marshals and Rex - if the light ain't right.

I don't see how we can use the arena at all given the plans for the event taking it up. I am sorry to sound pessimistic. I hope Phil Zoomer will comment here.

But we can have gatherings in the fields where you are camped and at odd times and places to hopefully build up a virtual collage of all and sundry. I will only speak for myself. I am currently in agreement to do official show photography with the organisers and wish to remain so, it is a good gig. I will readily snap your motors in the arena or anywhere you like at every opportunity (look for the man in the red shirt, indiana jones hat and horrible white legs like a nightmare from Puckoon). This is not for cash, it is for fun and friendship; which is what matters most to me. I am fortunate to have a market for my snaps which gives me a few bob.

So I can't see we have actually got any further despite all your effort and suggestions at pres. What say you Zoomer????? If we can use the helicopter area, then good. But are they putting it in the support field again this year or back in Americas?? I'm not at the site meeting this thursday, so can't ask.

MB

Hi all,

I support everything that Snapper says about you guys who have kicked this idea off - great idea, so well done and thanks for letting us be involved.

As for the details :

I agree with Snapper that the arena probably isnt worth pursuing.

As for the landing area... I recall last year they had 2 choppers and left them on site overnight. So if we plan to use the landing area in Americas we will need to be sure that

a) they aint in the way and

b) that all the vehicles we want in shot can fit in!

If the location used is the same as 2005 and earlier, the only background 'obstacle' is the tank driving/offroad course so its promising that we might get some decent uncluttered pics. As a fallback I still reckon the overflow carpark is as probably good as anywhere else.

As for timings - unlike Snapper :angel: I am not doing offical show photography for the organisers this year :cry: so I can turn up pretty much any time ;-) ... if we can get something together as soon after 5pm as possible we'll have some time to play with... and I still think a weekday might be better than the weekend, before it becomes manically busy.

How would this suit you guys... ???

Finally - ladders and stuff. I dont mind going up fairly high as long as its safe, eg basket, cherry picker, etc. Did an offshore transfer on the outside of a basket once and nothing could scare the hell out of me more than that did... (that is not a challenge, by the way). The crazy thing was they put the luggage/gear INSIDE the basket and we hung of the outside... offshore tiger, me!!! Anyway, Rex wouldn't be too impressive if one of us fell and broke our neck.

Phil

Cheers for that Neil. :rofl:

It'd need to be a big strop. Will wait to see if there are alternatives.... if you dont mind.

Since you've been so kind as to make a constructive suggestion maybe I'll pop down from Ashford for one of your next tunnel adventures :n00b:

Phil

As for the landing area... I recall last year they had 2 choppers and left them on site overnight. So if we plan to use the landing area in Americas we will need to be sure that

They are not normaly left on site over night :-D

Lee - I thought they brought 2 last year, but only flew one back to Biggin each night....

but that's one less possible fly in the ointment if I'm wrong - hope so.

As far as I can remember they both went home.. we camp right next door every year, I could be wrong though..don't think they would chance leaving them overnight with all the drunks about :roll: but saying that they wasn't there last year, they were in a different field, also the Twick off roaders use it on one of the nights to drag stuff round the field in their big trucks :dunno:

• 1 month later...

OK Heads up

I have been discussing this with a certain Mr Andy Mitchell tonight, he is the man who wears the skirt in the arena and more importantly organises the arena show timetable.

He has agreed as Rex did to allow us time for the photo shoot, BUT it has to be on one of the mornings before the show starts i.e the armour starts rolling, this can and will be arranged before 09:30 for us to be in the arena to photograph ourselves one morning of the show days, IF we are a little bit over the time scale then the tanks etc will be made to wait (for us) to finish and the show to start.

SO I need an answer before Monday morning 7th May, as the final arena timetable will go in then to the War and Peace show, I suggest the Friday of the public days at 08:30 to do this, as everyone should be there by then.

Over to you lot.................................................... :-D

( If I wake up that is :whistle:)

That was what I was thinking, John. It is supposed to be a holiday, now they want us up early for a photoshoot :dunno: That means stowing all the kit away else it will be spread around the wagon by the time we reach the arena, better bring the alarm clock,

Hi chaps.

In relation to the helicopters at War and Peace-

I use to work for them and what the guys normally do is fly one chopper and park it up at Old Hay airfield, then fly back in the other chopper to Biggin Hill.

As these things are worth nearly half a million - I can't see them leaving them in the field for the night.

FUN IF THEY DO - up and away!!! :-D

Markheliops

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Have just got back from an extended time away from HMVF so sorry I havent posted any replies.

Mark - Thanks for the info on the helis.

BUT it seems like the date and time has now been set - for the Arena, 0830 sharp on friday.

So who is gonna be there? Please PM me if you want to be in the shot so we can have an idea of nos and types of vehicles - and come up with some fancy arrangement!

Phil (zoomer) Royal

OK Heads up

I have been discussing this with a certain Mr Andy Mitchell tonight, he is the man who wears the skirt in the arena and more importantly organises the arena show timetable.

He has agreed as Rex did to allow us time for the photo shoot, BUT it has to be on one of the mornings before the show starts i.e the armour starts rolling, this can and will be arranged before 09:30 for us to be in the arena to photograph ourselves one morning of the show days, IF we are a little bit over the time scale then the tanks etc will be made to wait (for us) to finish and the show to start.

SO I need an answer before Monday morning 7th May, as the final arena timetable will go in then to the War and Peace show, I suggest the Friday of the public days at 08:30 to do this, as everyone should be there by then.

Over to you lot.................................................... :-D

I do not know if this is still on now due to the lateness of a decision being made back in early May, if members still want this to go ahead I will endevour to contact Andy to see if this time is still OK for us, as I am sure as everyone appreciates a lot is going on at the show this year and time for us is a premium (as I have been told) so we need to make this a well attended photo opputunity.