Snow or the lack of it in the UK

ferrettkitt

I am hoping it stays like this for a while been flatout. All the jobs are not on public roads but down the long private raised roads to farms. When snow first fell farmer paddles up and down with big tractors and 4X4s compacting snow fresh snow falls more compacting. snow ends frozen ice 3in thick. delivery trucks oil tankers coal men livestock feed supplies start falling of roads. kind hearted farmers then spend two hours with 4 assorted large tractors spining polishing ice finally getting trucks completely of road or rolled Bless um. Sad to think if they spent 15 min running up freshly fallen snow with a bucket on filler they would save a lot of money on repairs to their own roads. Their own time and diesel putting trucks further in the ****. Maybe its common sense but i wont knock it

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like the cubed one is stuck :(

He was working in Eastbourne today. Left at 6.30 this morning, phoned at 4.30 to say he was just leaving. He called me back at 6ish to say he was stuck in traffic on the other side (from us) of Brighton, another call at 8 to say he'd done about 2 miles :(

Just called him and no answer so assuming he is on the move, fingers crossed.

Can someone get him a pint ready in the club house (something real ale please) I'll keep watch for him through the window.

Just started snowing here again in Cannock. Only cleared off my car for the first time in four days today as actually need to use it tomorrow (have managed to get about on foot), however it might be covered again by the time I come to use it in the morning!

A bit of light snow around here. Though Somerset seems to be getting clobbered, I remeber.. back in about 1978, riding a 16hh horse up Dunkery Beacon on a Sunday morning, looking down and wondering what the green blobs were in the snow. They were the top of the railings on the side of the road. No 1 son has his Landy back, we are both praying it will last till at least Thursday, so I can get pictures of Katy in the snow.

I know thw area, around what is known as the 'Heads of the Valley', my family originate there. Look on a map and places look close together, then look at the contour lines in bettween! :D Bleanavon is home to the Big Pit Coal Mine musuem, well worth a vist.

Took a skid mounted generator to the big pit museum been donated by Mines Rescue wieghed 8 ton. It was April time windows open roasting going down M5 when about 2 miles off turned through a housing estate and up a bloody big hill. fresh snow and ice got balked by car that had skidded on tight bend could not get set of again had to reverse back nearly to bottom and set of again.

To top it all i parked at the museum the fellas took me for a diner in the canteen when we walked be to truck to unload generator the whole carpark was awash with derv. the fuel tank on the generator under all the cowlings had slide back on its mounts and smashed a fuel bowl of dropping about 70 gallons on the floor