War and Peace Revival *New Location*

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The hop farm was just an hours run away in my armouredcars & dingo's, and on a route consisting of A & B roads.

Often I would drive down one car, get a lift back home and then take the dingo.

The second dingo being trailered down as a ‘part load’with costs shared with a friend getting his carrier delivered.

And have always considered the relaxing drive, to be an enjoyable part of the show experience.

Im only the other end of the county, but the new venue is just too far, not to mention dangerous because i will be forced to take the motorway. Or to drive through very busy town centres on the old A20.

So im now forced to hire a low loader to take all three vehicles.........with all the very significant expense this entails.

Therefor im not exactly pleased with the new location and will have to think long and hard about entering next year.

Singe

www.daimler-fighting-vehicles.co.uk

Edited by singaeger

Therefor im not exactly pleased with the new location and will have to think long and hard about entering next year.

Singe

Will we being still paying £25 per vehicle for what Tom Kelly, managing director of owners Arena Leisure and Northern Racing, said: “Folkestone suffers from out-dated facilities" :D

Well I'm really looking forward to the show moving - and I live 1 mile from the Hop Farm. it will still be the War and Peace show but with an updated and fresh look.

On a personal level - I think the show needed a change.

As usual the rumours will start to bounce around and the conspiracy theories will be all over the place.

Only Rex and the other organisers will know the full extent of what has gone on and why the show is moving.

I can assure you of one thing though - the new venue has nothing to do with catering for our european friends.

If anyone has ever tried to find a show site, they will appreciate how difficult it can be to find a site where they don't mind tanks trundling around and people digging holes everywhere. I'm sure a lot of time and meetings have been spent looking for a site and Folkestone is as good a place as any.

Folkestone is not a million miles from the Hop Farm and even if it was - I'd still go because for me it is the only show I am 100% committed too.

It is THE show where we can all meet up and share our hobby with like minded souls and have a great time doing it. I don't know any other show that allows people to plot up 2 weeks before the main show?

Oh and one more thing - I really do wish people would stop thinking the organisers (Rex) makes a fortune from the show because it is simply not true. For those who organise shows they will understand the costs involved and you can probably times that amount by 5 for the Largest Military Show in the World.

If people do not wish to go - then that is their choice but I for one wouldn't miss it for the world.

My dates are booked - wherever the show happens to be.

Markheliops

im sure the actual show will be just as good as always, but icant help but feel a little dissapointed! it was always nice to be able to deposit the wife and kids in the fairground/play area for a few hours peace every day :D Crawling through the ballpond in full battledress trying to round up over-excited toddlers was always a sight to behold ;)

I am a little concerned over the amount of extra motorway driving im going to have to do in my poor little jeep though

I am a little concerned over the amount of extra motorway driving im going to have to do in my poor little jeep though

Come off the M20 at Junc 8 and follow the A20 to Ashford, a quick run through the town is easy, then over the M20 at Junc 10 and follow A20 through to Newingreen, racecourse is off to the left down Stone Street. Nice little run, no stress like the motorway

W&P 20?? After The Battle.. We made a bit of a mess :blush: (Think it's 2009 because of the speedway track in Americas Field)

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=paddock+wood&hl=en&ll=51.199543,0.393448&spn=0.010488,0.027595&sll=52.8382,-2.327815&sspn=11.880286,28.54248&hnear=Paddock+Wood,+Kent,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=15

afterthebattle.jpg

Edited by Marmite!!

it was a mess when i got there ;)

i do say this year was the hardest on me, as a slip or fall would mean hospital for pain relief.

our dogs enjoyed the fussing on the show grounds except the mud...

the hopfarm did have the disabled toilets right this year, 100+ needy and 10 key's.

i am getting an update on those facilities on the new showground next week.

i do realize that theft and the price of the hopfarm going up every year, take in consideration the shock of my friend who made that phone call to check.rough to break traditions like that.

as for mr cadman and making money or not, i hope he does make money out of it. it's a business after all.

For those that stay for the week there are also lots of places of interest near to the Folkestone racecourse site to visit, this for one, the station is only a few miles away at Hythe and it played its part during the war, used in the construction of "Pluto" undersea pipeline, something for the Home guard reenactors to commandeer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTkpq75JC48

Edited by Nick Johns

Might be worth reading this as the road into the racecourse appears a nightmare http://www.shepway.gov.uk/UserFiles/File/pdf/local-plan/cs-submission/sites/racecourse/Economic%20benefits.pdf

You will note it has an area of 203 acres against Beltrings 400(wikipedia) so a lot less space although if plenty of day visitors use the train car parking should be less of a problem but i can see it being very tight on space and not large enough for this but hope to be proved wrong

just had a quick read & saw this.

''There have been instances of grid-lock in the Newingreen area, stretching as far as junction 11 of the M20, caused by the difficulties of customers accessing the Racecourse due to the cumulative short-comings set out above. The level of traffic that needs to use Stone Street occasionally inconveniences the residents, for example on busy days such as the East Kent Show in 2009.''

For those that stay for the week there are also lots of places of interest near to the Folkestone racecourse site to visit, this for one, the station is only a few miles away at Hythe and it played its part during the war, used in the construction of "Pluto" undersea pipeline, something for the Home guard reenactors to commandeer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTkpq75JC48

Great film Nick , thanks for the link !:-D

As long as the Beltring doesnt go ahead(dont think it will as this show will replace it) I'm sure it will be a busy show as the press release says Rex has a lot of experience in running a show! The site has more to do around the area and you'll be able to pop out and do things. We go down for 11 days so will it'll be the same for us.

There has been a lot of anti show from the locals at Paddock wood lets see how much money they lose with the show moving! the petrol stations put up the price of fuel when the show is on. Lets milk it eh? The show will be what it is. Its the people that attend that make the show for me and as long as they attend I will be attending. The show is what we make of it and I'm sure Rex know's this and will be planning accordingly.

I find it funny that people wont travel an extra 30 miles or so or heaven forbid have to take there vehicle on a motorway!! There are A and B roads ya know!

As i said i hope to be proved wrong and they are not negative comments just facts gleaned from web,we attend for 10 or so days and enjoy the show we don't mind another 60 miles travelling i was trying to point out given half the space someone might get the chop due to space,and i bet it will not be large groups either.

Once again i hope to be wrong and all goes well but facts are facts.