NOW RECOVERED. GMC Bolster Truck from W&P

mick.wilson

I'm really sorry,the owner of the bolster truck has had his truck stolen.The only thing I can add is something my father,told me years ago.Which I now do religiously .Every owner of a military vehicle/equipment should go out and buy a ultra violet pen.Mark every part of the vehicle/equipment with your post code,as I've done,then if a vehicle is broken up you can still trace the parts.Unless of coarse they remove the paint.Every panel of my nearly restored HT has been marked this way along with all my other vehicles.I do believe,if we all mark our vehicles this way it will make it a bam sight harder for them to sell on.These pens are sometimes given away by the police,as home crime prevention. I hope this helps.

Stu

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just seen you add on milweb so i have posted the link on 2 military land rover groups on FB , just in case anyone gets offered a 50cal cheap. but hope with the help from the MV community you get the vehicle back in one piece and soon..

This is a terrible thing to happen to an owner who has poured his soul into the restoration, or to anyone for that matter. I have sent the theft details to my network in the UK, Europe and the USA, Has anyone put it on the Australian forums?

I can't help but think this vehicle was stolen to order. The misc thefts of equipment were 'it there lets take that also'. This vehicle has a documented picture build. I would think that the thieves are members on this and other forums, so thay can case out what they're going to nick. Unfortunatly its not possible to police this forum to elimanate these MOD EDIT

I hope it recovered quickly and its still complete.

Edited by Marmite!!

I have to ad this,..it surely cannot have been planned...did you always plan to leave it in the car park...at the specfic time, was it left there long enough for an opportunist thief to plan collection...was it carried off or driven off...there must be someone who saw it going...what have the police said...

Call me an idiot if you want but i think every body is getting into this to deep. Forget interpol,shipping to the southern

hemisphere, teams of drivers running back to back to ex soviet countries, booking RoRo's to the states.

This was not a planned job it was oppurtunist. Reason i say this is what was vehicle worth £8,000??? i dont know whats it worth. To who ever stole its scrap value. Unless of course somebody with a bit of money has paid someone to steal it for them. but why if you can afford to pay somebody to steal a £8.000 motor why not go out and buy one. Once the rich man has it whats he going to do with it. Who could be bothered to ring a £8,000 motor. Remember a stolen motor is worth only scrap till its disposed of So that leaves someone who wants spares eg engine for one. so steal it and then cash in the remains. Having said that i cannot see any enthusiast finding any body daft enough to steal a motor to order for the price they could buy one for. No this truck was stolen for its scrap value by an oppertunist Start looking for olive drab in a breakers /scrap yard somewere and not to far away or hidden ready to be cut. there is another explanation but this is to daft to consider. if this all sounds a bit mercenry sorry but that the way it is.

there is one other thing that might have big kick back on the whole hobby are there to be insurance claims on this theft

Edited by cosrec

This is over on a landy forum...

may seem a little bit of an odd question, but did it have the name "christine" painted on the front in shaky white letters ?

can't see the photos, but have seen something similar in an unusual place today, kind of tucked away, this was the only thing that stuck in my mind.

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f43/stolen-gmc-bolster-truck-kit-weapons-w-p-truck-show-winner-2011-a-194402.html

got to agree, it doesnt feel like a pre-planned theft, not that I know anything about stealing at all. Does sound a tad odd, that someone can walk up to a truck get in drive off and no one knows anything about it, if it was low loaded and time was taken to steal identifiable items from othe vehicles the time taken to do this must have been immense.

All sounds damn odd to me...

I had just read that this vehicle has been recovered??, found apparently where it ran out of fuel, can anyone confirm this, cheers Dennis

Hope your right as it would of been a great shame to loose this vehicle, being driven away rather than taking the risk of loading it onto a low loader was always the most obvious method of theft in my opinion and also being used as a spares source (engine worth £2000 ?) was also the most obvious reason for theft rather than attempting to disguise and use it.

Edited by Ian L
Spelling mistake

got to agree, it doesnt feel like a pre-planned theft, not that I know anything about stealing at all. Does sound a tad odd, that someone can walk up to a truck get in drive off and no one knows anything about it, if it was low loaded and time was taken to steal identifiable items from othe vehicles the time taken to do this must have been immense.

All sounds damn odd to me...

Why odd??

It's pitch dark & no security or anyone else about at the end of the public carpark at night, they would of had all the time they wanted, If the truck went during the day no one wuld of taken any notice of another of the hundreds of vehicles leaving Monday & Tuesday, kit has been leaving here everyday since the Sunday, in fact more vehicles are just leaving now & more are still on site.

Don't forget somene tried to steal a 50cal off Rex's GMC the first night he was on site, the GMC was parked between occupied caravans in the committee area & no one heard anything, nothing seems to put these people off if they have their eye on something.

I can't imagine why the truck would have been stolen for scrap value when sat beside it were three half-tracks.

Surely a half-track is worth a lot more in scrap than a GMC.

I'm would agree with the thought it was stolen by an opportunist who is involved with the hobby, sad as that thought is.

I can't imagine why the truck would have been stolen for scrap value when sat beside it were three half-tracks.

Surely a half-track is worth a lot more in scrap than a GMC.

I'm would agree with the thought it was stolen by an opportunist who is involved with the hobby, sad as that thought is.

Sorry Mark but I disagree,

Anyone who knows about scrap metal will know that armour can be a nightmare to cut up. They might not realise that the HT is only lightly armoured. A HT would also be a lot more conspicuous on the back of a wagon or being driven.

Beware cheap GMC parts...

- MG

who knows who did it....great theorising but is there any feed back from the police...is there any evidence of it being moved from the site...cameras etc....are there any gypsy camps near to the site...

just means one thing...we need better security. sad but in these days of tough times I suspect we will be needing to cover our backs as well as our fronts sides and tops...etc...

lee any theft is odd to me.....I dont know where it was taken from but if your saying that it was an easy steal from where it was then the above applies...but then all the other questions come in why just the truck...

I still think its odd that just the truck went and specific parts for what appears to be an opportunist theft...but may not have been...wonder what the police have said...

You can't blame gypsies! This was a professional job carried out to order,which means someone who's into hmvs is involved,de activated weapons ain't goin scrap nor have they been taken by someone to hold up a bank,it's sat somewhere being stripped down to rebuild another maybe any really distinctive parts that can't be altered/reprinted to disguise them will end up scrap,hard as it may be to face but I still reckon someone from within the hobby has had this truck not gypsies for scrap!

You can't blame gypsies! This was a professional job carried out to order,which means someone who's into hmvs is involved,de activated weapons ain't goin scrap nor have they been taken by someone to hold up a bank,it's sat somewhere being stripped down to rebuild another maybe any really distinctive parts that can't be altered/reprinted to disguise them will end up scrap,hard as it may be to face but I still reckon someone from within the hobby has had this truck not gypsies for scrap!

My thoughts exactly which is why I think we need to look a little bit closer within the ranks.

Finally someone is starting to think like an investigator. Sadly i know what the police have got on with the games, however i would have thought they would have had a semi dedicated auto theft department. From a qualified Investigator this is the exact 'top of the list' scenario.

The police have been down to the W&P site and checked it out, they found two CCTV cams but both were not working.

No other info has come back.

We have had a few different reports of people seeing the truck being taken.

First was the green flat bed with the start on the door, the second was "LIGHT COLOURED BIG SCANNIA OR VOLVO ....THE DRIVER WORE A DARK BLUE POLO TOP WITH WHITE STRIPES ABOUT 2 INS' APART POSSIBLY ON BELGIAN PLATES"

it will be a priority if only for the fact de activated weapons have gone,never ceases to amaze how many cctv cams do not work,im also shocked there is no gate keeper checking credentials on the gates,if i owned a vehicle and was thinking of going to shows i think a trackers in order and if it did go id leave it to run see where it ended up as it could make for an interesting raid by police,can smart water be incorperated into paint?