NOW RECOVERED. GMC Bolster Truck from W&P

mick.wilson

It has been mentioned on this thread about Trackers. Anyone had any experience with these and how difficult/easy are they to fit to an MV? How effective are they?

Effective? VERY!! I know a car that was stolen when the owner went in to pay for fuel. He phoned Tracker immidiatley and it was stopped two nicked and vehicle returned all within twenty minutes. As to other comments why can't the local pondlife be 'Proffesional'? They get enough practice. Might Jack approach Traker and see if advice/deals are available?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Effective? VERY!! I know a car that was stolen when the owner went in to pay for fuel. He phoned Tracker immidiatley and it was stopped two nicked and vehicle returned all within twenty minutes. As to other comments why can't the local pondlife be 'Proffesional'? They get enough practice. Might Jack approach Traker and see if advice/deals are available?
Traker is obviously an option, i had it fitted when i bought a new car, they fit it on the QT and you cant even find the thing afterwards so god knows where it actually is. Another option guys is to use the micro dot systems, think they originally came out for the biker fraternity. Shake well and paint onto inconspicuos areas all over the bloody thing so even if you get parts niked you may be able to at least pin down that they are yours. Costs round about £30.00 so its not bad for cost. The number is registered to you and is available to police forces on the data base 24/7Regards Tim

To be placed on the PNC (Police National Computer) an item must have a fixed unique identifier. So chassis number or as said the dot system. You can engrave your own marks on the componets, best to have photos etc of marks. UV glow paint is also a useful tool. Dots can also be mixed into paint and sprayed on, trouble is you need a microscope to read them.

Over the years as company we have recovered many thousands of SMVs ranging from motorbikes trucks farm equipment and plant on behalf of various police forces, insurance companys private individuals etc. We have recovered the vehicles from every place you can think of from in ponds ditches lockups down ten foot alleyways country mansions warehouses in containers back kitchens garages you name it. conditions ranged from flatened by 380 digger to still ticking over when found. Some had had resprays but the bulk around 90% were dismantled. The tractors and plant usually were complete and had only false plates on and minor mods to disguise them cars seemed to be the ones that had the most work done to diguise them. Commercials were nearly always dismantaled unless caught in the act. One job we did involved a warehouse down a farm track here it was virtually a production line. Youths would go out and steal vehicles and park them up in out of the way places for a couple or three days. This was to see if they had trackers on.then a transit full of guys would go out and collect them at the warehouse door they were assessed as to make or model some with no export market where chopped crushed and loaded in to bulkers. others where chopped into "sets" eg front half of chassis with radiator engine and box with maybe an axle steel banded to it and put straight into containers. Ally tanks tipper body etc where chopped with still saws the whole process from start to finish took about an hour. All vehicles where on their way to other storage pionts and scrap yards by daylight the next morning. Virtually all commercial vehcles stolen end up this way although may be not in such a organised method.

Oftence find rubbish and burnt patches around the back of hedges in out of the way fields.

If you think about it it fairly profitable a standard artic unit could yield £400 diesel £1400 scrap maybe another £400 tyres and rims to a bent tyre house all for a nights work.

Also the police told us a few stories about trackers. the theives of commercials soon got used to were fitted and wrap with lead foil or less sopisticated ones were ripped out and throw in the back of tippers. One copper told me about a going to a house and getting a guy to unlock his car a tracker was found in the passenger footwell presumably it had been put through a slightly open window while he had been buying fish and chips. copper was tracking an eight wheeler cement mixer.

As for micro dots they are only any good if police find a vehicle and can be bothered to look at suspect vehicle. it is also getting confusing as people are buying parts legit at scrap yards breakers eg alloy rims and getting vehicles taken off them for months.

the little sticker saying a vehicle has been micro dotted may put an honest person off taking a vehicle

I don't think that's the case with this truck,someone in the know has had this with view to building up there own truck with minimum effort,kindve defeats the object of owning/rebuilding an old truck but whatever floats there boat I gues

The Bolster has been found in Warfield, all complete and in good condition apart from the shovel and jerry cans missing.

The owner got a call from an anonymous call from somebody saying it was parked up in Warfield, he went up there and there it was dumped on the road.

He drove it back so everything is running ok.

Thanks for all your help guys, please keep an eye out for the Gas firing 50cals and 30cal that are still missing.

The Bolster has been found in Warfield, all complete and in good condition apart from the shovel and jerry cans missing.

The owner got a call from an anonymous call from somebody saying it was parked up in Warfield, he went up there and there it was dumped on the road.

He drove it back so everything is running ok.

Thanks for all your help guys, please keep an eye out for the Gas firing 50cals and 30cal that are still missing.

Brilliant result!

Fantastic news.

It always greives me when you hear people who think this type of thing is a victimless crime "It's insured ain't it"

That is as maybe but the owner doesn't want the money (which they would have saved anyway if they hadn't tackled the restoration) they want the vehicle.

This is a brilliant result; hopefully something to do with the outrage and far reaching tentacles of the community

now i am not from "down south" but how far away is that from the war and peace.

seems to me someone somewhere has had a change of heart because they would have "disappeared" the truck strange but with a massively happy ending well apart from the 30's and 50's of course

Great news, i guess the only way your going to prevent vehicles in the future from being nicked is have people walking around the show ground or some sort of cctv at the entrance and exit to the ground. And have a secure container run by the organisers for small arms if people don't have other means to secure them after hours.

Fantastic news mate , I really felt his pain at losing the vehicle he'd put so much effort into ! Really glad it turned out ok in the end ! Think we need a thread on vehicle security now ! :-D

Remove the rotor arm like they did in the war ;) anyway fantastic news.

Great news,she became to hot to handle I reckon,which also says to me the thieves are in the circle and were getting updated on how fast word had spread,esp to get a call outve the blue like that!

it surely is good news. does stir up more questions though...I assume you mean warfield near Bracknell...

it obviously wasnt going abroad, it wasnt going to the gypsies cash fund, it wasnt going to be used for anything untoward.

it will no doubt be a most intriguing story, if the truth is ever found out...maybe it was a drunken prank...maybe just a chap trying to get home...who knows, perhaps it is someone on here....

Great news,she became to hot to handle I reckon,which also says to me the thieves are in the circle and were getting updated on how fast word had spread,esp to get a call outve the blue like that!

Question - That phone call out-of-the-blue. How did they get your phone number?