58 Pattern Sleeping Bag

Eaglehurst

Purchased a 58 Pattern bag recently - long length and in great condition. Only issue is the waterproof base has clearly been exposed to too much heat and coating has gone streaky and very sticky.

Before I start using all manner of household cleaning chemicals to try to get rid I wondered if anyone had had any experience of this problem and any success in solving it...?

Edited by Eaglehurst

Purchased a 58 Pattern bag recently - long length and in great condition. Only issue is the waterproof base has clearly been exposed to too much heat and coating has gone streaky and very sticky.

Before I start using all manner of household cleaning chemicals to try to get rid I wondered if anyone had had any experience of this problem and any success in solving it...?

This happens on a fair bit of 70s - 80s pu-nylon kit....such as the older non-goretex waterproofs....and is almost impossible to cure.......only way may be removal of the finish.....

I liked the old 58 sleeping bag.....but never use the nylon detachable liner !! I did (once) and awoke in the morning with the bloody thing completely wrapped around me....not to mention finding myself alive with static for hours afterwards....

The modern poly-filled bag, with compression sack, is also really good....and if used with a goretex bivi-bag is pretty useful....

The issue jungle bag is also good, and can be found new at really good prices......

Issue 58 pattern bag.... otherwise know as the "prince of wales bag" due to most of them having about 7 feathers left in them after a bit of use :-D

Even contaning just 7 feathers, you could never get the b*&$%@d rolled up tightly enough into it's built-in pouch.....and always when you were in a bloody hurry......>:(

Even contaning just 7 feathers, you could never get the b*&$%@d rolled up tightly enough into it's built-in pouch.....and always when you were in a bloody hurry......>:(

Still not as bad as trying to get an arctic bag rolled up and into its stuff sack - always in a hurry and always with cold hands!

I have a vague recollection of these being a starred item. Only because our adjutant lost his on an exercise - well not so much lost as nicked by some passing squaddie - and there was a big fuss.. There was a search for it but it was never found and he was furious at having to pay. I remember them having a smell all their own too. Pretty warm though.

good set up , just dont get run over in the night!!

As long as its set up on the same side as the rest of the harbor area's vehicles he will be ok.

• 6 months later...
I gather there were different lengths of bags but were there any variations in pattern/design?

I've never seen any variations just various states of repair from a lovely plump new ones to thin tattered old ones, I still have a 70's (I think) one and a nice newer one tucked away some place.

Made in regular and long only, the 58 pattern bag was a good quality item and the only variations are between different manufacturers........most were made by CQC (Chelsea Quilt Company).........

The nylon liner that attached internally to press-fasteners is best abandoned......keeps the bag reasonably clean against dirty combat clothing but a nightmare if it twists around your body during the night !!! Externally, you could attach the green nylon hooded poncho for waterproofing and additional insulation........

Mine lasted until 2004 when the zip gave up the ghost and I unceremoniously slung it in a skip on a French camp site.....

These always need a good airing though.........they can smell absolutely hideous after lengthy storage.....:-X

• 10 years later...

I have found a 1958 Pattern 1970's CQC but no poncho. Are ponchos available? Also, it's been stored in the Rock of Gibraltar 🇬🇮 & smells musty cellar. How do l clean it? Wash it? Dry it? It's still full of down. No damage at all. The base is sewn into the bag. Is it waterproof or does it need a Gortex bivvy cover & a thermal mat? Do l need to spray with Scotchguard after washing?

The 58 Patt sleeping bag was a DRY CLEAN ONLY item!

The secret of them staying useful is easy! Prior to climbing in, give them a REALLY good shake up! This distributes the down Feathers about & fluffs them up. Thus ensuring good Thermal heat retention. During the day, open them up & lay out in the fresh Air. Flat on a land rover or truck canvas tilt is best. This gives them a good airing, & reduces any smells. Simple really! 👍