Bren gun....what to look for?

Wolfy

Hey Guys,

Thinking of buying a Deac Bren gun, do they vary much in different versions?? Is one more desirable than another or doesnt it really matter?

Thanks

Colt

Most desirable is good clear proof house marks! The actual paper certificate is NOT the legal proof of deactivation to required standard. The Mk1 has dial sight and extra grip on butt. Surface finish should be good, otherwise is it old spec, strippable or new spec solid. As you can imagine old spec make the premium.

Most desirable is good clear proof house marks! The actual paper certificate is NOT the legal proof of deactivation to required standard. The Mk1 has dial sight and extra grip on butt. Surface finish should be good, otherwise is it old spec, strippable or new spec solid. As you can imagine old spec make the premium.

didnt think there was a difference for LMGs etc asto new or old spec deac?

Mark

the most sought after and valuable bren is the mk 1 with the dovetail bkt on the left side in front of the drum sight but any bren is a good bren, i paid £200 for my mk1 last year so anything around that area is a fair price. go on milweb and look at the deacs and google deacs as well there's plenty to choose from.

all the best

eddy

The principal difference between old and new spec brens is that you cannot remove the barrels on new spec.

Some people interfere with the weld on later ones to achieve this but avoid this has any changes to the deac spec will result in the weapon referting to its original sectoon 5 clasification.

As other have said, it depends on what period you are trying to portray and then try to aquire a Bren with all the parts appropriate to that mark and not a mix and match.

Looking for WW2 era Bren to go with the Jeep to do club re-enacts etc. I didnt realise they were produced for so long.

I've got several deacs already so aware of new and old spec. I think for the money I'd go for an old spec, £200 seems very cheap for such a gun, if I can find one for that money I'd be well pleased.

Looking for WW2 era Bren to go with the Jeep to do club re-enacts etc. I didnt realise they were produced for so long.

I've got several deacs already so aware of new and old spec. I think for the money I'd go for an old spec, £200 seems very cheap for such a gun, if I can find one for that money I'd be well pleased.

I have been searching for a MG 42/MG3/MG51 for ages and if I could find one for £200 I would buy it tomorrow...:-)

And I'm after a 30 cal browning, will pay 500 :-)

You SHOULD be able to get a Thiry Cal for around that sort of money if you look round.

A LOT were internally converted to 7.62mm & have a small stamp on the sideplate & on the top face of the bolt. = 7.62.

This puts a lot of potential owners off. I dont know why, your never going to fire it again!

It's only a prop in a mount after all!

I would imagine the purists who do living history might turn thier nose's up, but it wouldnt bother me! :-)

:D Been collecting for a while and if you can pick up an old spec bren with removeable barrel for 200 nicker

i want to know where you got it from!!!

As per prior post the very early ones that do that carry a premium unless you manage the part ex with a friend of a friend scenario. Same applies to the 34, and 42,s.

£200 will see you with a very decent MK2, or possibly a decent MK1*

Be warned that the brens appear to be drying up somewhat and a lot of bitsa's are now lurking around. The best condition ones are the australian manufactured ones as they were mostley all factory refurbed prior to storage then release. If you do go for a mk1 variant make sure to get the camel hump style of butt as its a classic look for a bren, lots are fited with the MK2 butt. Not totally incorrect but not as nice.

Assorted brens at warminster small arms school below, from top MK1, MK2, MK3, L4 variants x 2.

DSCF0032.jpg

I used to look after that lot when I ws based at the School of Infantry at Warminster!

it's a superb collection & all live too!

I used to have great fun after doing repairs on some of the stuff.

Of course, it HAD to be Range tested, didnt it?.....:D

I do miss it these days. All I can work on is Deacts & Blank firers most of the time! :(

Mike

Hi Ferret fixer

Yes i have to confess it was a very good day, i asked very nicely if i could take the 2 Pdr home as i wanted to strap it to the back of a 15 Cwt moggie.

PL replied that it was highly unlikley :embarrassed:

Personnally i did not think it was too much to ask :D Would look rather fetching as a temp display in the garden.

Regards

Tim

Just a quick note on deac specs,

Only the Pre 1988 Deacs May have a removable barrel, (This depended on the deactivater)

All deacs after this have a pined or welded barrel to the reciever, the diffrence between new and old spec on a Bren is down to minor things like the locking shoulder being removed and the ejector welded in place through the locking shoulder hole. Both new and old can be stripped (Except the BRL as mentioned).

Brens are drying up, there are no more stocks in the UK so if you want one, nows the time. As mentioned earlier, there were some Aussie ones brought into the UK in the 1990s, they were mostly FTRD guns of Lithgow, Enfield and Inglis manufacture, but some were in used condition (DPd) and some were new unused Lithgows. One of my own Lithgows is a unissued non FTRd Mk1 upgraded version from 1943.

I would expect next year, the rarer Brens like Inglis Double Dovetail guns, and 7.62mm L4 guns to break the £1000 barrier regularly. I know of a L4A3 which sold last year for £1200 but that was overpriced at the time.

Good hunting, ATB Chris.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a really nice Mk1 Enfield with cover for £225 on day 1. I looked at every Bren at the show twice and very few are below £300, most seem to be around £350 with cheapest dovetail being £400. Ryton Arms did have some MK1's at £295.

I noticed that some have a welded barrel release lever on the side and some will release, so I made sure I got one that moved.

I'm happy with the price as I dont want to put large sums of money into my collection.

Has anyone got a Bren tripod mount they want to sell?

Colt

• 2 months later...

should be on the reciver somewhere. Then the bolt or any other moving part. Crossed swords with DA either horizontal, Birmingham if I rember right, or vertical. There should also be two figures, that's the date of de activation. You may also haver civillian original proof marks. Though if it came straight from military may not have them. There should also be some inspector marks somewhere.