HMVF's future..

Jack

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Many thanks for your patience friends, it is very much appreciated.

So here we are – a t a bit of a crossroads.

Some of us can remember that I started HMVF just to learn about and get advice on restoring my GMC (some would say that I didn’t learn much!).

Without question, HMVF has become a massive part of my life and clearly it has others too. I have met some of my dearest friends through HMVF and I hope you have too. It really is a special place and a great place to ‘hang out’ after work – bit like having a pint with chums. One member once advised me to keep it that way and he was right.

HMVF has now turned into an extraordinary vehicle for the hobby and a massive platform for us all – in a sense it has become a victim of its own success – which ironically has its good points but also its bad points too.

My issue is simply this – the bigger, the more successful it becomes the more it costs me. We have, on average 70,000 visitors a month and around 10 new members join per day which is a growth rate of around 2.5%. The more successful we become the more bandwidth we use – the more bandwidth we use – the more it costs me.

I have stood behind this for as long as I can because I needed to because of the commitment to HMVF – I just can’t turn it off otherwise we would all lose.

Clearly HMVF has become a major cornerstone of our hobby – yes it has some critics and that is always healthy and always welcomed – it keeps you on your toes. Now the dynamics have changed once again. Why? Let me explain.

As you know Mike Fincher has been invited by the DoT to sit down with other member groups to discuss the MOT Testing Exemptions paper. You all know the work Mike has put into this on our behalf and he will be representing us all in London – you just can’t argue with Mike dedication to this and he needs a big thank you from all of us on this, he is has gone above and beyond the call of duty, not just for us but really for the whole of our hobby.

As I see it – this will not be the last challenge to face our hobby, far from it, it is just the tip of the iceberg. So I can see that we are going to need more ‘Mikes’ in the future and if HMVF is going to be sitting down at the top table then I have to manage that. Manage that in the sense that HMVF can keep on knocking the doors down, jump over every hurdle that our hobby comes up against and to keep rolling the ball down the field – for our sakes and for history’s sake, after all this is what our hobby is all about.

I am not singling Mike out for his efforts (he wouldn’t appreciate it) as there are many members who do their bit for the sake of our hobby – the VCR or helping people with advice and support and a 1000 different other examples of help and support.

But it just underlines the hidden costs of HMVF. Mike is going to have to take a day out of his life to get to London. It would be a day’s wage, travel to and from London and then a day reporting back to us and goodness knows how many hours Mike has spent on this project. So I am going to cover Mikes expense’s on all of our behalf’s. Again no major drama but is another cost to HMVF/me and another example of the cost as HMVF continues to grow.

So now I have to make a decision as HMVF is costing more and more and more than I can currently afford – we are not talking hundreds of pounds but thousands of pounds and the costs are rising. I have discussed this at lenght with the team and push it around in my mind all night - so sorry for keeping some of you up!

Ever since HMVF started people have suggested ways to help pay for HMVF and the usual suggestion is a PayPal Donate button. I have always stayed clear of that for the reason being that I started HMVF just as a free resource for all – and that principle is still the same.

However, HMVF isn’t what it was when it first started – in fact it is BETTER! It has truly passed all my expectations and dreams and desires.

However – it comes at a cost and can be a double edged sword and I need to look at ways of how I can keep HMVF open because if I can’t find a way, then with deep regret and deep sadness, it will have to close.

So I need your help in keeping HMVF open and growing and I need your help with funding, however, I don’t believe in something for nothing so here is an option that would work for all of us.

Ever since HMVF started people have suggested ways to help pay for HMVF and the usual suggestion is a PayPal Donate button. I have always stayed clear of that for the reason being that I started HMVF just as a free resource for all – and that principle is still the same.

But I do not like that method as you don’t get any other benefits but I think I have found an answer. If you would like to help, donate, contribute, ensure the sustainability of HMVF and to be responsible for the future of HMVF then the answer would be to subscribe to The Pathfinder Magazine like many of you guys already do. Then not only do you get more bang for your buck but you are also involved in something else that is unique and exciting and pushing the hobby forward.

I understand that not everyone wants to subscribe to another magazine but it would mean that you not only get the whole of HMVF and it’s free benefits – cheap insurance for instance but you also get an up and coming and fresh magazine that really is making a difference.

The price of UK subscription is just £29.70 delivered to your door which works out at £2.47/mth. This seems the fairest way that we can maintain HMVF as you then get a magazine.

I fully understand folks who do not want to as HMVF is free so no one is holding a gun to your head and please do continue to use HMVF but it would be more than appreciated if you could as it will ensure the future of HMVF for many years to come.

This sits well for me as then we are able to give you something extra for your support.

I can’t think of any other way to keep HMVF up and running.

I look forward to your thoughts and like I have said there is no gun to anyone’s head but it does give me the option.

Kind regards to all - I am off to bed!

Jack.

Edited by Jack

sounds fair enough to me,I get much more out of HMVF than the MVT(no area meetings with our branch) so am paying my membership for a mag and having the forum is like having a load of like minded individuals about whenever you want so I will sort out my subscription asap

Nigel

Is that all we sat up waiting for Jack? ('cos non of us stay on here half the night anyway:D)

I would be happy enough to subscribe to HMVF without the magazine, I am not really into magazines.

Will there be some sort of indication of subscribers or any subs only sections?

and thats why you won the plank Jack. The dedication you give to this site is too great for words. You are one in a million and I am glad I can call you a friend :kiss:

We are in (but you knew that anyway!)

Bloody hell! All that to state the obvious, Jack most of the memebes here have been saying that for a long time! You have created, though it may be relevant to compare you to Dr Frankenstien, a voice for the Military Vehicle world that is unique.

Another comparison comes to mind 'You have aquired an empire in a fit of absent mindness'. :D

And now!!! somethinmg else unique to HMVF!! Just gone on the Pathfinder site. Where's the boxs for a yearly subscription?

Got to love this place!

Matter now solved in traditional manner! Keep hitting things till they work!

Edited by Tony B

Agreed with the above -

HMVF is an asset I have come to rely on.

I have met many friends on here, in fact more than I have met through attending shows.

I can fully understand how much this vehicle costs to keep running and I have past wondered how our fearless leader manages to cover the costs - after all - have you seen the rags he wears!!!

Seriously, no concerns from this department.

One thing to think about Jack - and it’s not a criticism but something to ponder for the future.

If HMVF keeps growing at the rate it has, surely the amount of annual subscriptions to Pathfinder magazine will not come anywhere near in assisting with the costs of HMVF.

Maybe the time has come to think along the lines of the Landrover 101 club. They charge to be a member with an annual subscription and although I know you have resisted this in the past, I foresee a time in the future when you have two choices -

Charge a subscription to be a member of HMVF or close the forum down -

I know which I would prefer.

So for Christ’s sake take my subscription and go and buy some decent rags.

Markheliops

I can only agree with all the above!!!

I am in, but how about an option in the suscription to voluntarily add a bit more for the HMVF?

or an aditional subscription for gold and platinum membership with VIP lounge and complimentary single malt etc

( actually I have the start of a thought for a subscription service that could include access tech info, manuals etc, we could contribute to get it going?) I know, also includes more work, cost etc......

Last time I mentioned anything about making a donation to the forum I was shot down in flames as I recall. At the risk of being shot down again, I would rather make a donation through a donation button than take out subs for Pathfinder mag.Nice bit of marketing though!

Last time I mentioned anything about making a donation to the forum I was shot down in flames as I recall. At the risk of being shot down again, I would rather make a donation through a donation button than take out subs for Pathfinder mag.Nice bit of marketing though!

If I had put money on who would be the first to make a snotty remark to this issue -

Rick - you would have won me a small fortune.

As I read this thread it would appear the issue is not subs being taken from the Pathfinder Magazine subscription to assist in the financing of HMVF but rather Jack saying he is going to use revenue generated from Pathfinder to help ease the financial burden of HMVF.

For anyone on here to think running and paying for the forum is a cheap undertaking - I suggest they go and try it for themselves.

HMVF must be one of the few remaining forums on the internet to be free to use. It is obvious to anyone with half a brain if the forum keeps growing, there must be some way of raising revenue to keep it going.

I for one would suggest Pathfinder subscription is an initial action to assist with costs and like it or not, in the future the only way to keep HMVF running at its present rate will be to charge a subscription for membership - obviously with some benefits for the paid up members. Of course the forum should remain free to browse.

To suggest this is a marketing ploy by Jack is rather quite insulting but to be honest Rick - I rather expected it of you. If you don’t agree with it by all means state your case but do not insult my friends by suggesting an ulterior motive.

The reason Jack has offered subscription to Pathfinder Magazine is because he doesn’t want people to pay any monies without getting something in return - a rather generous offer I feel. I would be happy to pay a membership fee to HMVF without the magazine offer so if a get a magazine in the process - I’m more than happy.

Rick, who and how do you think Pathfinder Magazine is funded? Do you really think subscription charges cover the cost of materials, printing, etc?

This is not a cheap marketing ploy to increase sales of Pathfinder Magazine - its helping to ensure the survival of HMVF.

Oh and as said already - no one is holding a gun to your head. If you do not wish to subscribe to Pathfinder, don’t. Your post was acceptable up until the point you suggested the whole issue was a cheap marketing ploy.

Can I be so bold as to ask you to re-think your last comment?

Markheliops

You are not alone Jack, heard on the wireless today the Times is to charge for accessing it's website, for much the same reasons I believe.

User's should also be able to contribute spontaneously and easily if they feel they want to, maybe a PayPal donate button as well?

I have been close to the issue of funding production of The Pathfinder up til now and I know it has been a great burden on Jack. We have had disagreements about aspects of how the magazine works and we continue to debate in a very robust manner. Funding HMVF is a wholly different initiative and I actually think Jack's suggestion dovetails in a handy way.

The idea of subscribing to the mag to support the forum works. I don't think for one moment the idea will suit everyone and why should it? But you can take this from me with total sincerity - it it not a cynical marketing ploy. I can see how it might be construed to be so and this is an open place to discuss stuff. But I don't want you chaps to fall out over it at all.

I've worked my nuts off on the magazine as a separate arm of HMVF - and I have and will continue to request the support of the HMVF family to procure a chunk of the content and feel sure it will be worth your time. The cornerstone of all our work has been Bodge, our designer. He has worked wonders and we have built a team spirit that gives Jack a kicking when we see fit....he sometimes has to beat himself up to save us the effort.

I didn't set out to be at the helm of a club magazine and TPM, as we call it, will not be one while I am involved. I've done that job before for a motor sports organisation and it was a right royal pain in the ar5e. What you will get is an honest all inclusive product. I still have work to do and take my responsibilities deadly seriously. Mistakes have been made and lessons learned - the buck stops with me.

With your support HMVF can continue to grow in it's wonderfully independent way and The Pathfinder might just find the place I know it deserves. So, friends, I'm doing the marketing this time. You are asked to support HMVF above all else. How you do that is entirely your choice and I wouldn't have it any other way. It's why we're here. The club house remains a hologram in our very odd minds. Keep the lounge tidy please.

MB

I am sure that all members of the Forum would be distraught if the Forum ceased, and I am equally sure that none of us would wish for Jack to be out of pocket in keeping it going - especially with costs ever increasing.

It must be Jack's decision on how it is to be funded and if he wishes to do it through TPM, then it is up to members to support him in every way that they can.

Jack - if that method does not work out, then please consider again coming back to us for a donation or a regular subscription.

Tony