fv432 starter

steptoe

Hi, i'm having trouble with my starter motor on the k60 engine in a 432, and finding very frustrating of its position in the hull. My question is, has anybody come up with an easy solution to get at the starter, i'm prepared to make a smallish inspection hole in the bulkhead if it helps, but don't want to damage the exterior hull?

Many thanks Steve:confused:

Hi, i'm having trouble with my starter motor on the k60 engine in a 432, and finding very frustrating of its position in the hull. My question is, has anybody come up with an easy solution to get at the starter, i'm prepared to make a smallish inspection hole in the bulkhead if it helps, but don't want to damage the exterior hull?

Many thanks Steve:confused:

This is a common problem in Service. I have replaced dozens of them!

The usual problem is, it clicks & will not turn the engine over. :cry:

There is a 'Kidney plate' at the Rear lhs in the interior compartment.

If you remove this you can get an arm through & give the starter a 'Smack' with a hammer. :shocked:

I know it sounds crude, but it will usually get you out of trouble.

This method will not work for ever.

When a starter begins to play up, it is indicative of begining to fail.

The heat generated in the engine compartment in a MKII is incredible.!

I am suprised that starters last as long as they do! :confused:

The only real solution to repair it is, a pack lift.

When the engine is out, rotate it 180 degrees & drop it in front of the vehicle. When you re-fit your starter. Connect all the hoses Etc back to the vehicle. You cannot connect the exhaust or trans propshaft obviously!

make sure trans lever IS in Neutral!! :stop:

You can then start the engine pack up & run it. DO NOT RUN FOR MORE THAN 15 MINUTES!! If you do you risk engine seizure. :nono: It will be loud, but wear ear defenders. :shake: It is then possible to check all hoses Etc for leaks. Better to go over it whilst the pack is out. Rather than have a prob when it's back in! I have done this hundereds of times. It's the only real way to effect a reliable repair. Good luck & I add, I dont envy you!

:coffee:

Mike (Ferretfixer)

This is a common problem in Service. I have replaced dozens of them!

The usual problem is, it clicks & will not turn the engine over. :cry:

There is a 'Kidney plate' at the Rear lhs in the interior compartment.

If you remove this you can get an arm through & give the starter a 'Smack' with a hammer. :shocked:

I know it sounds crude, but it will usually get you out of trouble.

This method will not work for ever.

When a starter begins to play up, it is indicative of begining to fail.

The heat generated in the engine compartment in a MKII is incredible.!

I am suprised that starters last as long as they do! :confused:

When the engine is out, rotate it 180 degrees & drop it in front of the vehicle. When you re-fit your starter. Connect all the hoses Etc back to the vehicle. You cannot connect the exhaust or trans propshaft obviously!

You can then start the engine pack up & run it. DO NOT RUN FOR MORE THAN 15 MINUTES!! If you do you risk engine seizure. :nono: It will be loud, but wear ear defenders. :shake: It is then possible to check all hoses Etc for leaks. Better to go over it whilst the pack is out. Rather than have a prob when it's back in! I have done this hundereds of times. It's the only real way to effect a reliable repair. Good luck & I add, I dont envy you!

Mike (Ferretfixer)

If you want a replacement pack PM me, I have a low hours take out (164 hrs) for £1000.

John.

Can I ask what the actual problem is and when it occurs?

Mike (Ferretfixer)

Would go along with what Mike advises except not sure about running beyond 15 minutes. Both in "Pack Section" and in the field we used to run them up 'till the hydraulic fans cut in and I'm sure that would be well beyond 15 minutes.

One final anomally to be aware of, it's possible to connect the 2x main cables to the starter motor the wrong way round. If you do this, as soon as the master switch is turned on the starter will engage.

Ian

• 11 years later...

Old thread but I think I’m having the same issue.  When I attempt to start there is a click and the dash lights dim a bit. Thought maybe the batteries were low so I attached the NATO slave cable from another vehicle but got the same result.  The vehicle has been sitting for maybe a year.    

get a large adjustable open the front flap and turn the cranskaft pulley to make sure the engine/ starter are not stuck, then as mentioned before, with someone flicking the starter switch, clout the starter body with a proper hammer.

other than that, I think it is pack out.

PS, I have seen someone disc cut an access panel in the hul. Neat job-worked well, but a bit drastic!

11 hours ago, Chuckh said:

Old thread but I think I’m having the same issue.  When I attempt to start there is a click and the dash lights dim a bit. Thought maybe the batteries were low so I attached the NATO slave cable from another vehicle but got the same result.  The vehicle has been sitting for maybe a year.    

Before you get too deep into this, it may well be a problem with your vehicle batteries. By using a jump lead from another vehicle, if there is a fault on one of your vehicle batteries it will inhibit the power from your second vehicle. I have had this problem before. An easy way to check this is to disconnect the vehicle batteries by removing the connecting lead between the two to isolate them.

Dear All,

I do not profess to be an expert on the FV 430 range but if you have one, you must expect to have to lift the pack out.   It would be well worthwhile to copy a pack lifting frame if you do not ready access to one.  The pack is easier to lift with a hoist crane rather than a Hiab type of crane. Alternatively, a Hiab type crane with a chain hoist would be good.

Terry is right about rotating the engine a little in case the starter teeth are abutting each other. However, I have made a special tool for John D's FV430's.  You would find it easier to use a special tool that is no heavier than necessary.

If rotating the engine a bit does not do the trick and you need to smack the starter with a hammer, it is time to lift the pack!

John

On 12/24/2020 at 12:50 PM, Richard Farrant said:

Before you get too deep into this, it may well be a problem with your vehicle batteries. By using a jump lead from another vehicle, if there is a fault on one of your vehicle batteries it will inhibit the power from your second vehicle. I have had this problem before. An easy way to check this is to disconnect the vehicle batteries by removing the connecting lead between the two to isolate them.

If doing this, make sure you stop the engine before removing the jump lead - the alternator control boxes rely on having batteries present to regulate their output.

However, as has been said, bar the engine over first to make sure something isn't stuck.

Andy

Good news today.   A combination of hitting the starter with a BFH, moving the shifter Around and installing new batteries did the trick.  She started right up and ran well.  I am still going to make a pack lifting device for the inevitable issues to come.  Luckily there is one within 100 miles of me that along with the plans found on the forum I should be able to make one.    Thanks to everyone for their assistance