Diamond T 980

Adrian

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part 13

It was now time to examine the condition of the brakes and driveshafts. With work progressing to the point where all major body components had been re-fitted, the 24V system complete and the fuel and air systems progressing, the rear axles were checked over. Here I was very pleasantly surprised. I had known from examination of other mechanical items that there was every indication that 9800373 had undergone a substantial overhaul prior to being laid up. The rear axle was no exception but I was not prepared for how good a condition the components were in.

Half shafts were removed to examine the splines. Light witness marks were visible on the splines, but no noticeable wear.

CIMG2156-1.jpg

CIMG2157-1.jpg

Wheel bearings examined. Well greased, and with little signs of running. Running surfaces in good condition.

CIMG2162-1.jpg

CIMG2160-1.jpg

Drums were examined. These were easily removed as there was no wear lip on the drum.

CIMG2159-1.jpg

S - Cams were set for minimal wear of linings

CIMG2161-1.jpg

Brake shoes. Close examination shows next to no witness marks on the surface of the shoes.

CIMG2158-1.jpg

Offside inspected, painted and with NDT's fitted.

CIMG2209.jpg

CIMG2207.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys. Yes I am pleased with the way it is starting to look. However, I have gathered enough samples of the original desert camouflage from some hard to get to locations on the vehicle and can confirm it is still a bit on the light side.

Now you may recall I had a bit of a mare deciding which shade of paint to use. It does look very nice as it stands but I am planning to re-paint it every few years, and it will come out of its first refresh a different shade. If you see how many variants of Desert Sand/Light Stone are available to restorers, and all are slightly different.

I use bailey Paints in Stroud who produced this colour for me. I am now working with them using colour pictures from North Africa, and the small samples I found on the vehicle. Obviously the latter are not one hundred percent reliable as 70 years will have taken its toll, but I should be able to get closer to the original shade with a bit more effort. Some have asked if all the effort is worth it – well, yes it is, or will be when the shade is right. I have every intention of keeping the T until I am too old to drive it, so it’s worth putting in the effort now.

At the first refresh the engine will be painted and detailed. This is not a priority at the moment as getting it reliable and out on the road has to be the aim if it is to be on the rally field this year.

Thank you again for your kind comments.

Tony,

The cab cover was made by Jim Clark. We put loops on the back to support the Oxford motorcycle chain I use to lock the two doors. It has a soft velvet lining which does not polish the paintwork were it to move in high winds. The bungees at the front are to give it a bit more tie down load but to be honest it is very sturdy and probably does not need them.

Cheers,

A

Edited by Adrian
Typo due to sosej fingers

Thanks again for your comments. Having a few minor issues with the engine at the moment which I will cover in the next post. May even be tonight if I can find some time.

Cheers,

A

We did warn you about those Delphi injectors....

Looking good Adrian, hope to see it one day.

Mike

• 3 months later...

A quick update, technical talk will follow.

For the first time in four years 9800373 is complete, the final big chapter is the electrics, which I will cover in a separate post, together with the recent commissioning of the fuel and air system.

A few pictures below, which were taken last weekend (great weather for T restoration)

P1050919b.jpg

P1050913.jpg

P1050917.jpg

Road testing planned for 2 weeks - watch this space.

Cheers,

A

Adrian;

Looks smashing. CONGRATULATIONS. I like the logo on the rear mudguard. I need some help with the weather striping for the roof ventilator, as mine is missing.

The grasshopper wiper arms look good too : )

John G

• 3 weeks later...

A question.

Do we know how many of the 394 units from contract SM2059 were sent to North Africa? I do not have the original Census number so trying to estimate one close to what mine would have had in late '41. I have H777453 - H777461, H777475 - H777764, and H4765260 - H4765354 from Pat Ware's book as those allocated to SM2059. Were these allocated randomly between home ad North Africa units or by groups?

I have seen pictures of vehicles with number from all three groups in the UK, but the only pictures I can find from North Africa are of units from SM2114 with census numbers from H13111264 onward.

Cheers,

A

Adrian;

Looks smashing. CONGRATULATIONS. I like the logo on the rear mudguard. I need some help with the weather striping for the roof ventilator, as mine is missing.

The grasshopper wiper arms look good too : )

John G

Jon, will try and pick some up this afternoon (stock permitting). If successful I will post it on.

A

Adrain;

Thanks. Did you reinstall or fabraicate a firewall pad. I could not tell from your pictures of the cab. I used my old one as a pattern and instead of using jute padding, I used a "heat absorbing cloth" manufacutred by a company called "KOOL MAT" mated to a thick cardboard mat. As you can attest, alot of heat enters the cab from the engine compartment.

Being that these trucks were modified (mine had a heater installed) one pattern would not work for all closed cabs. Additionally, I used a mat from "COOL TECH" on the toeboard to reflect the heat from the exhaust pipe along with a wrap on the pipe itself. It made a huge differance.

John G

Adrain;

Thanks. Did you reinstall or fabraicate a firewall pad. I could not tell from your pictures of the cab. I used my old one as a pattern and instead of using jute padding, I used a "heat absorbing cloth" manufacutred by a company called "KOOL MAT" mated to a thick cardboard mat. As you can attest, alot of heat enters the cab from the engine compartment.

Being that these trucks were modified (mine had a heater installed) one pattern would not work for all closed cabs. Additionally, I used a mat from "COOL TECH" on the toeboard to reflect the heat from the exhaust pipe along with a wrap on the pipe itself. It made a huge differance.

John G

Hi John,

The pad was in good condition so it was re-installed. Yes, they can get uncomfortably hot after a long run!

A

Nick;

I do not know,but I am sure you could email them and ask. They were very helpful over the phone. The stuff was orginally developed for NASA by this company and they are expanding there market.

John G

• 3 months later...

Hi guys. Does any one have a photo of an open bonnet / hood on their Diamond T 980/981, this info is for a mdoel I am making, I wish to have one half of the bonnet/hood open, but dont know where the bonnet stay goes.

Cheers

Dizzy-t

Dizzy;

I do not have a photo, however the 980/981 has 2 stays per side. The rear stay is in the same location as on a 969 and the front is attached to the radiator if I recall, as I had my head under the hood of one last spring!

John G