Diamond T 980

Adrian

Alan;

Jim Clarke can. They are made to order. He kept all the jigs used during Adrian's restoration. I belive he has "restored" 5-6 Diamond T cabs to date.

John Gott

Yes and he has got his own to do soon!

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adrain;

Correct me if I am wrong, but I belive the factory originally put the cowl on first and then lowered the cab and then joined the 2 togather,

John Gott

I think you are right there John, certainly in a mass production environment it would make sense. In my case the cab/scuttle joint was sealed up to prevent water ingress so mounting it as a whole unit was the best option. If the cab is structurally sound there is no reason why the cab cannot be lifted on in one. There was certainly no distortion or adverse noises from the cab when lifted so we were well within the strength limits of the structure.

Tried to PM you but apparently not allowed:nono:

Cheers,

A

Hi Adrian. The T looks absolutley fantastic, just wish it was mine, you have done a brilliant job in refurbishing it & I will look forward to seeing it on the roads around Stroud & Stonehouse & hopefully have a ride in it one day, if you want an excort vehicle let me know, we can always fix up a lighted sign on the bike carrier on the back of my car. The blog was a great read, as you have such a good way with words, although I'm not sure you got the measurements right with the ERF which delivered the cab & winch, I would say it was a lot shorter than 45 feet, more like 30ft (my old DAf was 24ft rear body & it was a 4 wheeler, if thats anything to go by). Anyway a good time was had by all & as you say its amassing how much you can do in a day with help. Good luck with the rest of the work, will be down to take more photos some time soon.:wow::cool::beer::drive:

Adrian;

Do you plan on doing any "detail" work in the engine compartment?

John

At some point yes, but not at the moment. The engine looks very original and under the flaking grey there is a T in red oxide, which may be an original factory designation. For the moment it will look its original and tatty self. if or when the engine comes out I may decide to re-paint it but that is a job for the future.

Cheers,

A

I'm not sure you got the measurements right with the ERF which delivered the cab & winch, I would say it was a lot shorter than 45 feet, more like 30ft (my old DAf was 24ft rear body & it was a 4 wheeler, if thats anything to go by).

The length was stated by the driver, I just took his word for it as I had too many things on my mind as it was:)

Hi Adrian,

Nice to see your work on the Diamond!

Last week we bought also a Diamond 980 with the same cabinet etc. The only thing is: we are missing some parts. For example: the liner on the roof with the glove box in it. Also the wipers arms and the mirror arms. Were did you get your parts from?

And what about the TM's. Do you have them all? Portrayal only has one!

Can you help me with the missing parts/books??

Thanks,

Regards,

Remy Harmsen, The Netherlands

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Adrian,

Nice to see your work on the Diamond!

Last week we bought also a Diamond 980 with the same cabinet etc. The only thing is: we are missing some parts. For example: the liner on the roof with the glove box in it. Also the wipers arms and the mirror arms. Were did you get your parts from?

And what about the TM's. Do you have them all? Portrayal only has one!

Can you help me with the missing parts/books?

Hi remy,

Firstly mine came with the glove box. Mirror arms are available from various suppliers, best to ask around. I had some strange wiper arms on mine but have bought some extendable jeep wiper arms and blades and will have a go at making them fit. Not sure what the original pattern was but the arm looks like it will fit over the wiper motor spindle so I cannot see why they would not work.

As to the TM's I knew one day I would have a Diamond T so over the past 12 years I have picked up most of the relevant manuals. The engine and gearbox manual (TM 9-1768A) came from Chris Evans Books, as did TM9-768 the WD technical manual. I bought a pair of original Diamond T factory manuals (repair and parts) from ebay, as I did a similar manual on CD-ROM.

Hope this helps.

A

• 1 month later...

It is with great regret that I have decided not to attend the GDSF this year. There are two main reasons for this which is lack of progress and the lack of time available for me to progress. The unfortunate events of earlier this year have pushed time and money to the limit and for the restoration to be enjoyable I have to back off and admit that time and funds are simply not available, and to push both to the limit would gain nothing.

I am also not prepared to cut corners. After three years to rush the last jobs just to meet a deadline would ruin both the restoration, and my look on the restoration and completed vehicle.

Blog update will be posted shortly.

Cheers,

A:-(

Adrian;

The wiper arm is a "Grasshoper design". When I get home, I will remind myself to take a photo and post it for you. This design is essential as the wiper motor is "Fixed" to the cab, and the windshield pivots outward. It is the same design as used on the GMC/Chevy and probably others.

John Gott

Thanks John, I have yet to see if the ones I have bought will work but I know thwya er not the original design. Not that they cost very much so if I can get my hands on some originals that would be a bonus.

Cheers,

A

Not so much a blog update but some pictures to cover the progress over the past 2 weeks.

CIMG1965.jpg

Trial of corner marker/mirror arm and indicator.

CIMG1993.jpg

Painting of headlamps.

CIMG1994.jpg

Stripped indicator in top coat.

CIMG2003.jpg

Not much has been said about the near side fittings, but the running board, battery box, battery box door and internal fittings have been replaced and painted over the past few weeks. Here the top coat has been applied and is drying in a lovely Cotswold spring evening.

CIMG2019.jpg

I am fitting original pattern headlamps to the Italian lamp mounts. This requires a modification to the mounting arrangement. I will cover this in more detail in a later post. The headlamps have now been built up with new halogen headlamp bowls (H4) to at least provide a reasonable light output over the originals.

Hi Adrian,

Nice to see your 'T' coming together. Ed has told me lots about it in work, I'd love to come see it sometime??

I have a couple of questions... What brand of Red Oxide do you use, and does the HVLP set up reduce overspray over a normal spraying set up?

Hi Adrian,

Nice to see your 'T' coming together. Ed has told me lots about it in work, I'd love to come see it sometime??

I have a couple of questions... What brand of Red Oxide do you use, and does the HVLP set up reduce overspray over a normal spraying set up?

Hi Nigel, no problem pop over whe you want. Let me know when you would want to go over and i will try and be there to open up the cab.

Red Oxide is the zinc phosphate available from Bailey Paints in Stroud. Great stuff and dries very fast. The HVLP kit has far less overspray as the delivery is far less of a 'cloud' due to the much reduced pressure. I will be painting over the next few weekends so if you are free come over and you can see it in action.

You do need to be aware that the quantity of pain being delivered is greater than what you would normally expect so you have to change your method slightly, but it took me very little time to adapt.

As it looks like I have the possability of obtaining the original pattern windscreen wipers I won't be needing the jeep units I recently bought. if they are of any use to you please let me know.

Cheers,

A

Edited by Adrian

Hi Adrian,

If you don't mind me asking what make/model of HVLP rig are you using?.

Thanks,

Matt.

Hi Matt, it's an Earlex Spray Station. There is a picture of it somewhere on the blog but I don't think this particular model is sold anymore. However Earlex do appear to have a good range of newer products.

Cheers,

A

Hi Folks,

I have decided to back off on the restoration and take some down time. Personal issues are taking up so much energy and dragging me down:cry:, so I may not be posting another restoration blog for some time - sorry, but I just need to charge the old batteries.

All the best,

A

• 7 months later...

Part 12

It has been some time since my last note, and for that I apologise. It really has been a bit up and down over the past year but thankfully progress on the Diamond T has been made, and in the recent weeks a number of key areas have been tackled.

I will post a few short updates over the next week to get up to date.

Fuel Tank

Of the three fuel tanks I had it was down to the last one. One was cosmetic, one was clearly a write-off, and this one, which had come off the driver’s side had been lightly blasted and to my relief it was evident that apart from a few small pin holes and the odd patch underneath it was sound. At least the sides were intact, which was more than could be said for the other two.

Paul at Red Ball has done a superb job of replacing the bottom and after cleaning, sealing, and painting is now on the vehicle and being plumed in.

Here is the tank prior to refurbishment.

CIMG2155.jpg

Electrics

The Starter button was stripped and cleaned. The contact disc was found to be green and quite heavily pitted but flipping it over revealed a perfect surface the disc was polished up and re-assembled. The 24v system is now complete.

Headlamps and indicators completed and fitted. New spacers had to be made up to fit the lights into the current wing mounts.

CIMG2171.jpg

Bodywork

Since the last post the driver’s side front wing has been fitted, together with the battery box, and as previously mentioned, the fuel tank and cover are now on.

More pictures to follow....

Edited by Adrian