Fv 434

Metroman

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like the means of transport are already there parked up handily next to your new motor.

I can definately see a low loader trailer and tractor unit in those pictures.

Problem solved, no excuse for not buying it now :evil:

Looks like some rust spots on the crane ram. That may require re-chroming if you don't want to destroy the seals in the ram. If it's not too bad, you may get away with it in the short term.

Our CVRT was transported on that trailer once, along with a 434 (not that one) so i know it will take it.

If that is the same as fitted to the MK parts avaialble and easy to get. The letters BA in the serial number identify as a military version.

HIAB cranes were not fitted to the Army MK trucks, they were Atlas.

You are on my subject here as I used to repair and test cranes and winches for the Army.

Right, thanks. Though it was Atlas, the brain cells you know. Reason I asked when MMVG Paul first got the Mk the 'Hiab', generic name now I suppose, was playing up, he did a rebuild on the hydraulic bloke. Atlas were very helpful at the time. With all the kit we now lug about it makes life so much easier.

Here's my tupen'th.

As mentioned previously, powerpack and steering box is identical to 432. The PTO for the crane is attached via a blanking plate on the transferbox on the back of the pack. Approx mid way along the t/box is a telltale hole which will indicate the condition of the t/box seals. The left hand rear pack mounting bolt will probably be diffy and should be left as such ( total b@st@rd to remove). Occaisionally the lockout rams seize under pressure. This can be rectified by driving with the acctuating lever deflected rather than caged in it's "at rest" position.

I didn't have a deal to do with them (other than as a packrat in BATUS) but the MK1 allegedly had a habit of bursting into flames.

Braking on the tillers is fine once you get used to it even if they are badly adjusted or worn.

I was post '82 and the number on the side means nothing to me. The other point is that on the right side of teh vehicle it would have been covered by the gun planks.

Ian

Just got back from having a final look over the 434, Mark kindly came along to give a informed opinion.

We its a done deal, P13B will be arriving this coming Wednesday, Wayne offered the kitchen sink + taps :-D.

2770272391_0932a4ef2c_b.jpg

2771120530_34d2af3fc0_b.jpg

2771122768_ceef0e1f59_b.jpg

Thanks again Mark, will send you details re delivery.