Fv 434

Metroman

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome to the worldwide madhouse. As for 432s there are a lot of knowlegable people on the subjcet here. They can be recognised by the bruises and tendency to dribble when running costs are mentioned. Mind you they seem to spend most of the time with them either in the air, or chasing cycilists.

Hi Phil

FV432 - I co-own one.

First of all - don't touch a petrol version (Mk1) with a barge pole.

Good Points -

Multi fuel so you can run it on contaminated fuel - so it doesn't cost you a penny to fuel it. Garages give it away as they have to pay to have it taken away.

Maintanence isn't really a huge deal. Just keep the oil levels up and change oil on a regular basis.

Road legal - not over width.

Easy to drive - auto gear box, foot throttle and 2 x levers to stop and go.

Spares - not too expensive and easy to get hold off.

Noise - makes a lovely noise - actually sounds like a tank - whoppee.

Reliable - Power pack is pretty bomb proof. Once its going, not a lot to break. Even if it does, a replacement power pack can be brought for £1500.

Cost - Cheaper than any CVRT - a decent one can be yours for about £7-8000. Brought ours for £6000 - will full CES and a complete new set of road wheels.

Bad Points

I can only think of the weight - 15 tonnes so if you are going any real distance - its a low loader or a 20Ton plant trailer. Then again, I have covered 150 miles to and from a show in the 432.

Track pads cost from £500 - £700 for a complete set. Not difficult to fit. One bolt and the pad is off. As too how long they last will depend on the surfaces you drive on and how you drive. I would guess 1500 - 2000 miles before they are shot. It is a guess though.

Regards

Markheliops

Hi Phil.

Listen to the great sound of an FV432 - my video when I took it for a road test after doing some routine spanner work.

http://www.HMVFTV.com/watch/6d44dd73c7041e0aa0f1/FV432-road-test

Lee shot some video of the FV432 at this years War and Peace - for those who think the 432 is slow.

http://www.HMVFTV.com/watch/64bfb90db9e32851ebf9/Mark-goes-for-a-spin-FV432-W&P-2008

Enjoy.

Markheliops

Edited by Markheliops

hi and welcome theres a good one on ebay cheap and no bids :coffee:

I wouldn't - it's petrol.

Is it the same one that says he is selling it for a friend - But in the description it is " since I have had it and I have done this, and I brought it, etc. Doesn't seem right to me.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=200243236386

Make up your own mind.

Markheliops

you too clever for me didnt notice that , doesnt look bad though .:coffee:

No harm in looking Phil - but I wouldn't part with any readies until I had seen it and definately take someone who knows about 432's or you could buy a real stinker!!!

If you are not planning on doing a lot of mileage - a petrol wouldn't be so bad.

Question techno buffs - would it be so hard to convert to a multi-fuel?

Not sure - anyone want to assist.

Also a point worth making is there are no pictures of the inside - odd - if I was selling it I would show pictures of the inside - wouldn't you?

Markheliops

I see someone else has asked about interior pics & he says he'll take some & post them up .

If he can get inside it!!!

Surley if you are trying to sell armour - you would have already taken pictures of the inside - or am I being too cynical.

Markheliops

Question techno buffs - would it be so hard to convert to a multi-fuel?

It would not be worth converting one Mark. The pack is quite different, with the exhaust exiting on top of the hull rather than to the side. The instument and control panels are also quite different, as is the fuel system.

I wouldn't write off a Mk 1, most were used as hard targets and the ones which weren't have mostly ended up in the USA, where petrol is cheap. There are not many good ones left in the UK. A friend of mine has his mint Mk 1 on milweb at the moment, it's the deep bronze green one we took to Beltring in 2006.

If you want to stick with a Mk 2 then I'd go for the Mk 2/1 with the internal NBC pack as it takes up a bit less external space. We had both a Mk 2 and a Mk 2/1, both sounded great and ran well, but I find them a bit large and slow. They will do a steady 32mph, which isn't a bad turn of speed though. I also don't like not having a seperate brake, having to stop with the tillers is fine, but if they aren't set correctly or you pull one slightly more than the other you could end up in a messy situation!

They are nowhere near as manouverable, fast and manageable as a CVRT. You will need some heavy lifting equipment to get the pack out, and a lot of strong friends should you need to do track bashing. Remember that it's not just pads to worry about, but you need to check that the pins and bushes are also in good order. Also watch out for rear idler hub failures, the guy who has our 432s has had a few hubs go and it's a big and painful job to swap one.

Hopefully I haven't put you off, if you are still interested can I suggest you look at a FV434 instead? There's a decently priced one on milweb, now that is a much more useful toy!

Chris

If he can get inside it!!!

Surley if you are trying to sell armour - you would have already taken pictures of the inside - or am I being too cynical.

Markheliops

You would think wouldn't you - but as you said earlier - he can't actually decide whether he's selling it or he's selling it for a friend.

I always think you can never be too cynical........

Ref the e-bay advert -

The more I read the advert the more it sounds a bit off.

The guy hasn't actually answered any questions, apart from does it start.

You can view it Monday - er when the auction has ended.

The stuff written in the advert is straight from a book description of the FV432 - but he doesn't know what engine is in it!!!

And the english isn't very good.

I would say - bidders beware.

Markheliops

Hopefully I haven't put you off, if you are still interested can I suggest you look at a FV434 instead? There's a decently priced one on milweb, now that is a much more useful toy!

Chris

Or you could consider the Warsaw Pact equivalents... Those who looked over mine at W&P seemed pleasantly suprised..

And you can then in the "Lets keep nagging the authorities" club to get it road registered - the more the better!!!

Or you could consider the Warsaw Pact equivalents... Those who looked over mine at W&P seemed pleasantly suprised..

And you can then in the "Lets keep nagging the authorities" club to get it road registered - the more the better!!!

Much as I love your OT90 gadjets Neil - I could probably buy 3 FV432's for 1 OT90.

I would have to say the OT90 is a far better machine - but much more complicated than the 432. If your beast developes a fault - which I hope it doesn't by ther way - I wouldn't like to have to repair it - especially if it's an electrical fault.

Morning..

Thanks for the replies, I was the person that asked for pics of the inside, that was 5 days ago..

04-Aug-08

Q: Hi Can you supply any pictures of the inside. Phil

A: Hi Phil, I will get them done tom and post them up here.... Best Regards Robert

..well nothing as yet. I also asked if I could view Sunday morning - no response.

cd44_1.JPG

I had a Zil 131 which is know sold and my Daf Wrecker is on ebay. I'm looking for something a bit different, hense the 432 or similar.

Thanks again for the replies, tech info is always helpful.

Phil :)

Just as an add on, found this http://plain-military.tripod.com/

Edited by Metroman

Much as I love your OT90 gadjets Neil - I could probably buy 3 FV432's for 1 OT90.

I would have to say the OT90 is a far better machine - but much more complicated than the 432. If your beast developes a fault - which I hope it doesn't by ther way - I wouldn't like to have to repair it - especially if it's an electrical fault.

OT was only £13,500 Mark - the rest of the bills on mine are care of that <censored> lot and what they advised me I needed to do to get it road legal......... Probably the cost of a pair of 432's approx - but the 432's won't have been totally overhauled/rebuilt by the MoD for you like the OT has!

Electrics are no worse than a UK vehicles, and unlike a Spartan or 43x lifting the front panel gives full access to the rear if the IP for wiring etc. Remember - these things were designed to be repaired by conscripts who could barely tell left from right!!

OT was only £13,500 Mark - the rest of the bills on mine are care of that <censored> lot and what they advised me I needed to do to get it road legal......... Probably the cost of a pair of 432's approx - but the 432's won't have been totally overhauled/rebuilt by the MoD for you like the OT has!

Electrics are no worse than a UK vehicles, and unlike a Spartan or 43x lifting the front panel gives full access to the rear if the IP for wiring etc. Remember - these things were designed to be repaired by conscripts who could barely tell left from right!!

From what I can see Neil it's cost you over 25k for an MV you can't even use on the road... bit more than the cost of two 432's :coffee:

From what I can see Neil it's cost you over 25k for an MV you can't even use on the road... bit more than the cost of two 432's :coffee:

Read the words Lee - the OT only cost £13,500.

The rest is down to the requirements given to me in Sept by our oh-so-helpful (NOT!!) Ministry of Transport controlled agencies. It's a VERY sore point right now which is engendering a total sense of humour failure.

If road use is not needed then the OT is a viable alternative to the 432

If I can win the battle then it may even be a viable alternative there too....

Apologies to MetroMan for veering off the orginal topic here. The OT is worth a look at if you have no need of road use currently.

Edited by ArtistsRifles

Read the words Lee - the OT only cost £13,500.

The rest is down to the requirements given to me in Sept by our oh-so-helpful (NOT!!) Ministry of Transport controlled agencies. It's a VERY sore point right now which is engendering a total sense of humour failure.

If road use is not needed then the OT is a viable alternative to the 432

If I can win the battle then it may even be a viable alternative there too....

At almost 16k (you forgot the VAT again) how is it a viable alternative to a FV432 for off road use???

If it was able to be used on the road then how is 25k a viable alternative :confused:

I saw that 434 in Wayne Meadows yard when I came to the Plains bash beginning of May.Looked half decent but it was on a trailer and I did not bother to get up and have a look inside.The only things that stood out were the rams were quite corroded and it had handrails welded to the rear bench etc so it must have been used for giving rides or something.Did,nt hear it running.Are you thinking of buying,I,ve got a 434 and they,re not a bad bit of kit.:cool2:

If i can supply any info to you just ask,I have got a few odd bits about plus plenty of pack bits:-D

Dave P