Fv 434

Metroman

Thanks everyone,

Started the grease up process last night, notice first casuality of the day, you can just see it in the delivery video. From the picture it looks as though only part of it was bonded to the wheel.

2785340555_13070a2a77.jpg

Best tool of the moment, new air grease gun - just can't imagine doing this job by hand.

A few bits & bobs in the boot..:-D

2786195250_ac721cf44e.jpg

Edited by Metroman

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its been a long day, started at the front, of course, degreased the steering box, then regreased it, pushed out all the old black grease, best buy so far, air grease gun £8.99

2785339113_79c798cd60_m.jpg2787902599_9354f16589_m.jpg

2787903425_2fef751d0c.jpg

While I was doing this, noticed the fuel cutoff cable was not attacted :shocked:, I take it this attaches to the metal plate on the right.

2788757644_5f7566c010.jpg

First filter was NBC, it took longer to get the door open than clean.

2787902203_455b6842d5.jpg

and this was the condition of both air filters..

..moved on to the fans, this didn't take to long - found a lot of shot pellets. Under the rad cover I have never seen so much mud, stones & leafs, this took an absolute age.

Onward & inward, the biggest challenge.

2751830975_98c13e2a8d_b.jpg

removal of the drivers seat was a little strained to say the least.

2788759646_a94feefd9e.jpg

Lots of over looked mantainance items to do , thats for sure !! I m sure the Vehicle will thank you for doing what the previous owner neglected for a Long time .

amazing how little the engine smoked while trying to suck air thru such a clogged filter !! Who needs oil injectors to create a smoke screen when you can use compressed air ....Well Done

Just come in, went out at 7.30am now 3.45pm.

Escape hatch cover, before & after..

2789773418_ce875df49d_m.jpg2789776030_fb9b933bda_m.jpg

..under that is the esacpe hatch..

2788924851_0c9cedfbae.jpg

..drop the hach & drive the 434 out the way.

2788921993_7f81453d84_b.jpg

First treasure to be found, yes it was in the hatch.

2788920285_59736305b2.jpg

Cabin starting to look less of a bog.

2788922491_8fc135324f_b.jpg

2789774916_c5ca9b3b42.jpg

Thats all for today, have a pleasent evening.

2789772784_31b154cb26_b.jpg

Chris

What situation would you use that..

Phil

In extreme cold :shake:etc when you need all your bat power just to crank the motor.Get motor warm,switch off,reconnect g/box,away to go.The purpose being no drag from g/box when cranking motor.

Hopefully you should never need to do this:cool2:

DaveP

Hi Phil.

The B you asked about has two uses -

As previously suggested - it is used to aid starting in very cold conditions - ie you are only turning the engine over, hence less drag.

Other use is when tow starting by another vehicle.

Markheliops

Hi Phil,

One very important point, you noticed that the fuel cut-off was disconnected. The pedal that this attaches to is called the "dead man's" pedal for good reason. As you will already be aware, the steering and main brakes are one and the same. If the steering box goes u/s this is the only means of stopping! Approx 1984 a 432 used for driver training buried itself in a house in Whitehill on test drive, alledgely after split pins had not been fitted to the stering box connecting pins. A friend also buried his 434 in a german farm house after a steering box failure. In the latter case it was considered that if the deadman's pedal hadn't operated, then the crew would probably be dead.

re: the lever marked "B" in the photo. It is indeed the disconnect for the g/box (operating thru the transfer box).

As for its use, I would agree with the cold start example, though I personally never used it for that, even in the depths of winter on the north german plains. I have used it to check out a none start problem which turned out to be a trashed g/box not allowing the engine to turn over.

When tow starting a 43x series, it is necessary it leave the g/box connected otherwise the tracks won't drive the engine.

I suppose it could be disconnected when being towed as a dead vehicle, but the steering box and g/box would still be being driven and therefore would not be any particular advantage. The normal routine for towing is to dis-connect the muff couplings and remove the "dumb bells" to prevent damage to the steering and gear boxes.

Without wanting to state the obvious, when you come to lift the Pack, the PTO needs removing from the t/box as there is no room to manipulate it in the engine bay and it has been kown for this to be forgotten about resulting in endless "yellow handbags" being purchased to maitain the silence!

Ian

I stand corrected -

The B lever - (engine / transverse gearbox dis-connector control handle) is used to facilitate engine starting whilst either cold starting or being slave started by disconnecting the drive between the engine and transmission.

Straight from the FV432 operators manual.

Aplogies for previous statement.

Markheliops

Morning..

Thanks for the replies, I was the person that asked for pics of the inside, that was 5 days ago..

04-Aug-08

Q: Hi Can you supply any pictures of the inside. Phil

A: Hi Phil, I will get them done tom and post them up here.... Best Regards Robert

..well nothing as yet. I also asked if I could view Sunday morning - no response.

cd44_1.JPG

I had a Zil 131 which is know sold and my Daf Wrecker is on ebay. I'm looking for something a bit different, hense the 432 or similar.

Thanks again for the replies, tech info is always helpful.

Phil :)

Just as an add on, found this http://plain-military.tripod.com/

Well the pic's are now on ebay, only 23 days later, Robert you can't be that busy..:)

A question for those that know, having read the operators manual, have I just to engage this lever (A) to make the power take off live, I want to move the Hiab tomorrow at the show.

2792676745_d129efa830.jpg

Lift locking lever and pull A back.It may not engage,if not,keep a gentle pressure on it and operate the starter from the remote starter control(situated on the rear bulkhead inside rear hatch under crane contol)and you should be in business.There,s a hand throttle situated just in front of the switch.Have fun.:-D:-D:-D

DaveP

Engage hipadrive & bingo...well after a lot of please, please, you know daddy loves you - she was alive :).

2835610304_05b4891e68_b.jpg

..main ram is in almost perfect condition, second smaller ram does not move under power, seems to be air in the system. Checking oil level today & see if there is a bleed valve.

I will also be removing the hand rails at the back (never to be seen again) which will give me the chance to straighten the fold up work bench.