Land Army Lovely's!

M5Clive

Whilst down at War and Fleece, Andrea Benham and her Land Army Girls - aptly named 'Nell's Belle's,' did a few drive outs in the evening - Well if its good enough for those tank boys..............

DSC_0180.jpg

45 minutes later and the old Fordson had got almost as far as the Ginger Gammon Bar, such is the speed of the brute with a women driver!

DSC_0185_2.jpg

I think daughter Elly summed it up when she returned from one of their evening trundles and said with great excitement

"Everyone waved and was so friendly - Even the Germans!"

DSC_0323.jpg

I told her to be careful however, otherwise "Her name vil go on ze list!"

DSC_0243.jpg

On Sunday they were all invited down into the arena (or Jack's hallowed ground as it has now been renamed)

to pick up an award for best runner-up miscellaneous vehicle of show (or something like that!)

DSC_0308.jpg

In my opinion the award was very well deserved - especially as Suzanne (driving the tractor 6 months pregnant) and Elly

(on Nurse Glady's bike) participated with such enthuasium - but then I would say a biase thing like that wouldn't I......!

DSC_0186_2.jpg

Well done to Andrea and all of Nelle's Belle's for bringing a lighthearted ray of sunshine to an otherwise olive drab field!

DSC_0374.jpg

All photographs by Cds

Edited by M5Clive

Great pictures, Clive !

I saw the girls driving round a few times, they reminded me of photos of my Mother's days in the WLA, although she did not drive tractors. She has just received her WLA Commerative badge from the Government..........took them 64 years to get around to it :(

Richard

wot o clive,

is there any chance you could find out where the girls got their uniforms as my wife is thinking of dressing up as WLA as her late fathers bedford oy has a WLA and forestry body on it, so when she drives it she will look the part

regards graham

They had a good display. We were camped by them and I watched a lot of time spent on the 'Nell's Belle's display. I think she spent about an hour one day polishing the shoes on the mannequin.

DSC_0172.jpg

I think this picture must have been taken before the polishing commenced - The shoes are hidden from view!

wot o clive,

is there any chance you could find out where the girls got their uniforms as my wife is thinking of dressing up as WLA as her late fathers bedford oy has a WLA and forestry body on it, so when she drives it she will look the part

regards graham

Have seen both genuine and repro kit on ebay but it tends to be either expensive or horrendously expensive .

Great pictures Clive - am I the only one on here who can't take decent pictures :argh:

I saw those ladies too - that kept whistling and winking at me and asking me if I was married..........:blush::whistle:

Have seen both genuine and repro kit on ebay but it tends to be either expensive or horrendously expensive .

thanks dave, will keep an eye on ebay but does not look promising, still i might be lucky :cool2:

regards graham

The Land Army jumpers are hand knitted from an original 1940's pattern

The trousers and dungeree's are a combination of original and repro, both of which are not easy-peezey to find, but you can pick up the odd item at Malvern, Stoneleigh etc.

The shirts are repro (an airtex top from Primark will actually suffice!)

Brown lace-up period style shoes are ok for footware.

The Tractor is a 1940 Fordson N - Original........!

Cheers Clive

Great pictures Clive - am I the only one on here who can't take decent pictures :argh:

I saw those ladies too - that kept whistling and winking at me and asking me if I was married..........:blush::whistle:

I find the secret to getting good photo's is to use a big lense - In this case a 300 mm Nikkon telephoto and walk a long way away from your subject, and then pull-them up close with your lense.

The result - A far more powerful shot all around. The very first pic in sepia of the three girls on the tractor driving towards me was shot from a long way off, but pulled-in close. People also act far more natural when your not breathing a camera down their neck from 3 feet distance!

wot o clive,

regards graham

Hi Graham,

Try Warhorse at Dover. 01304823341.

They are very helpful people.

Regards,

John.

• 1 year later...

Can anyone help me with a contact for Nelles Belles please? I am putting Salute to the 40's together at the Historic Dockyard Chatham on 18 & 19 September and have two areas that could be dedicated to farming and the Land Army girls. We have tractors, a thresher and other bits and pieces, and a mini-orchard. We may also have some shire horses and other animals so it looks set for a fun weekend.

See www.thedockyard.co.uk or phone me on 01634-823821.

The barn where i keep me truck has a pre war fordson that belonged to the late husband of the lady i rent the barn from...it hasn't turned a wheel in 20+ years... covered in dust (& my crap!) she keeps telling me if we can get it started we can use it for my mum to drive when doing her WLA thing... getting tempted now!

The barn where i keep me truck has a pre war fordson that belonged to the late husband of the lady i rent the barn from...it hasn't turned a wheel in 20+ years... covered in dust (& my crap!) she keeps telling me if we can get it started we can use it for my mum to drive when doing her WLA thing... getting tempted now!

Go On,.......you know you want to,..............if just for the pleasure of driving something DECENT........:cool2::whistle: :nut:

Go for it Roop if nothing else it''ll give you plenty of exercise:sweat::D and remember not to get your thumb wrong side of the starting handle or do what a neighbour did many years ago. After much winding on the handle with no result he decided to check the fuel, removed the fuel cap but not being exactly the brightest star in the firmament:nut: he then lit a match as he couldn't see anything:nono:. Needless to say he was burnt about the face, head and hands, losing his hair and eyebrows in the process