Ward La France Restoration Project Part III

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

The only cummins i have had any knowledge of was in our previous Nelson Pilot boat of 60s vintage.They were 185s v8 non turbo.very peaky but i felt not really suited as we went everwhere flat out and not very quick.i think Trinity house probably got a good deal as they were standard fittment.i was inpressed with the build quality,and the fact they had a coolant filter/conditioner.The other was a D series artic again v8 the bottom.end torque seemed ok on that.These latest fly by wire we have put in Gee the race boat,well remains to be seen,tell you next week.

If you lot have now kissed and made up? Intresting stuff, does the front suspension suffer much? Disiiels are normally heavier than petrol.

Don't think it makes much of a difference when you are dealing with engines this size. With a wrecker, the amount of kit you carry would have more of an effect on the suspension than the difference between engine weights!

Don't think it makes much of a difference when you are dealing with engines this size. With a wrecker, the amount of kit you carry would have more of an effect on the suspension than the difference between engine weights!

Yes, was just thinking had to uprate the supension on the Range rover for the Isuzi

Hi all.

Update on the Ward La France M1A1. Work has been continuing on the exchange engine unit.

First of all - a thanks to the Tootallmike, Vince, Tog Dog and others who have helped and offered help. Much appreciated.

I took the opportunity to run a paint brush over the engine chassis area as it looked a bit rough and ready. It's by no means an art piece but looks a little better.

Wardenginework3002.jpg

I then was ready to put the engine back in. I did try on my own but considered it too risky as I was likely to damage something as it is an extreamly tight fit. It would have been almost impossible anyway as someone had to operate the machineary and someone else manouvre the engine into place.

Wardenginework3003.jpg

Had to do something else while I awaited the arrival of TTM - so made some tea and re-fuelled the tank. Mike arrived in the evening after swotting up on some study work he is doing.

We battled away and the engine went back in quickly followed by the gearbox. These are the two jobs I would have struggled with on my own so I was very happy we managed to do them before Mike left - which was quite late.

Wardenginework3005.jpg

Wardenginework3006.jpg

Wardenginework3004.jpg

Notice the new hair Mike is sporting - not sure if it's dead or alive so I kept fully aware of his movements for the rest of the evening.

To be continued:

Next day I continued on my own. Most of the day was spent re-assembling the engine compartment. This consisted of all ancillaries, piping, electrics, sensors, and other bits. Was cracking on at a great rate and then came to the governor and carburetter. Just about to tighten the two nuts to secure everything in place - oh c--p! One of the bolts had the end missing which made it impossible to secure the carb. Sorry Mike - I did cuss you mate!!!

Wardenginework3007.jpg

So had to re-move everything on the manifold side and then re-move the manifold itself. Now anyone who has ever had to remove a manifold without breaking anything will know it's a hit or miss operation. I am pleased to report I didn't break any studs and the thing came off okay - and without damaging the gasket which is always a bonus.

Wardenginework3008.jpg

Then had to remove the manifold of my old engine - which came off okay as well. Re-assembled and then fitted the governer and carb - again.

Wardenginework3009.jpg

Once the offside completed I moved to the nearside and re-assembled the ancils such as the dizzy, coil, etc. No major dramas there except I have a cracked compressor to water pump pipe but I have a spare.

Wardenginework3012.jpg

I then fitted the fan - the right way round this time.

Wardenginework3011.jpg

Then in was in to the cab area to fit the gear and PTO levers, hand and foot throttle linkages.

Wardenginework3010.jpg

Then it was time to go home because I was knackered. You can often measure the success of a days work by how many bits you have left laying on the floor.

Wardenginework3013.jpg

Wardenginework3014.jpg

Whats left to fit - well the radiator and rad frame, gearbox to transfer box propshaft, bonnet panels, rad brush guard and a few minor bits. Then its ready to see if it fires up and runs okay. I've fingers crossed and hopefully the beast will be ready to roll for War and Peace. All in all, it hasn't been a bad job but thank the Lord for mates like Mike, Vince, Dave and anyone else who has lent a hand. If it wasn't for them - I'd have given up long ago.

Markheliops

Great team work chaps and it is great to have friends like that. You can't keep a good man down Mark and it looks like you have just proved that - you must be well above schedule on this?

Is anything on a Ward small?

Notice the new hair Mike is sporting - not sure if it's dead or alive so I kept fully aware of his movements for the rest of the evening.

:

Does too much association with green machines inevitably lead to a regulation haircut?

Got too admit to it myself (No. 3).

Mike has 2 hairstyles a year- East European orphan, and silly student. I know who cut his hair (not me!), but I'm not sure he would appreciate me divulging this information. Needless to say, no money exchanged hands in the shearing of this creature.

Good job he didn't pay for it :cool2:

Mark,

Looks like you're doing well! That stud was like that all the time I had the engine. Over that time it had 2 different carbs fitted and they both went on fine. If you will fit non-standard components...

So that leads to a daft question: why didn't you just swap the stud for one of yours rather than than changing the whole manifold?

- Mike

Hi all.

For the last couple of days I have been working on the beast - again. Time was running out and my completion date for the repairs is the 27th June as I have no more time before War and Peace. So - had better crack on with it then. LOL.

Started on the cooling system. Installed the radiator and rad frame - which believe me is a two man job. Then came the brush guard - oh why so heavy. Good job Dave Copper popped in as he lent me a hand - thanks Dave.

Wardenginework4001.jpg

Once this was done, I connected all the hoses, rad stay and coolant pipes. Then filled the rad with water only - in case there were any problems - good job I did because the inlet water manifold sprouted leaks from all but one of the nuts holding it in place. Lots of swearing took place. Had to change the manifold from my old engine. Loads of gunk later, it was back on the engine.

Then I connected the air filter system and trunking plus some other bits.

Wardenginework4002.jpg

Wardenginework4003.jpg

Thought I would go for a start up so had a go - it wouldn't fire for love or money. Had a suspicion the timing was out as the dizzy had been removed etc. Decided to go for initial timing of the engine - which is easier said then done.

As I was on my own I was unable to watch for the timing marks - which I had the common sense to mark on the flywheel - as the engine span so I resorted to pulling the Ward in 5th gear an inch at a time. Then I would stop, get out of the manatu and check for the timing marks. Took me more than a few goes but eventually found the mark. Once I had re-set the dizzy, it was time to try again.

th_Initialstartup.jpg

The engine sounded sweet as a nut - odd expression - excellent oil pressure which is a bonus.

After that, I finished with the bonnet covers, cab canvas, whiffletree and other stuff. She was ready for a road test.

Please excuse the quality of the video. The engine sounds pants in the video and ignore the gear crunching - the transmission oil was cold. That’s my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

(Video not working - will try to sort it out).

After I finished, I parked the Ward up with the FV432, ready for War and Peace.

Wardenginework4010.jpg

As you can see it was late when I finished but the good thing is I have completed the repairs one day before schedule. Many thanks for the good chaps who lent a hand and barring any problems - see you at Beltring. I shall be the one sporting the wide Ward La France grin.

Markheliops

Edited by markheliops
video not working

Thats really cutting things close , right down to the 11th hour but it all worked out .I hope the show and all the traveling to and back will all go without any problems !!!

I hope so too Mark has the furthest to go....................at least 1/2 mile :cool2: