New Zealand is where it's at

As you know, i have usually got my ear to the ground when it comes to the turning up of WW1 trucks. It would seem though that the supply in this country has just about been cleared out and the French have suddenly realised that there is money to be tapped in those scrap yards.

Interestingly, New Zealand is the place where things do frequently turn up. The following images are all WW1 period trucks that have been rescued in the last few months by the same person. Who can identify them?

thornycroftapril08008.jpg

whitechaindriveapril08002.jpg

benza1_full.jpg

Daimiler12eml-1.jpg

thornycroftWairoa54eml.jpg

This next one has been restored and is part of the largest collection of commercial trucks in NZ. Interesting stuff eh?

autocarInvercargill2eml.jpg

Tim (too)

Tim,

This first photo is, I think, a Thornycroft, and in the background, those wheels look like AEC Y type............could be completely wrong of course :confused:

Richard

Yes you are quite right. It is hard to tell with the one at the back, but Y Type was my best option. I expect someone will come and correct us now. Alan?

Tim (too)

Spot on. Well done. Didnt think that you would get the White from this angle. Obvious from the front, but not so from the side. I am impressed.

Tim (too)

It helps when you leave the name of the vehicle in the filename :D

Quite right. The sort of underhand thing we would not expect from a member of the HMVF! It is just not British!

Tim (too)

Ah, but I was using my initiative! I did recognise the Thornycroft because of its wheels though, plus you put the photo of the chopped up Daimler up a couple of months ago on the old forum - plus the Autocar is (almost) unmistakeable

Ah, but I was using my initiative! I did recognise the Thornycroft because of its wheels though, plus you put the photo of the chopped up Daimler up a couple of months ago on the old forum - plus the Autocar is (almost) unmistakeable

Ah yes! Cunning! Cunning!

Are you sure its restorable ? with the side cover off for who knows how long exposed to the weather and all ??? I have thought it just a lump of rust!!!

Ah, you are thinking with your WW2 truck restoration sense of logic. With WW1 truck restoration logic you think "it is original and the only one i have ever found, therfore it must be restored at any effort or cost".

It is also in New Zealand so the climate is a lot nicer and it should not (hopefully) be too damaged internally. As they are a lot more primitive they can suffer quite a lot of neglect and still be brought back to life.

Tim (too)

Steve had a phone call once.

"Do you want a Thornycroft M4 engine".

"Oh yes please - where is it".

"Auckland"

"What Bishop Auckland?"

"No Auckland, New Zealand"

"Crikey" (or something like that)

Anyway, here it is coming out of the box shortly after arrival.

ThornyEng4.jpg

Here it is now. Note the large can of plus gas. Cracking engine. Fantastic luck once again.

DSCN0009-1.jpg

Well you have point . But with it being thousands of miles away and only that single view it was more questions than knowladge on my part , You of course had more information and likely other photo's and more than a slight idea it is was going to yield any useful bits. congrats on its recovery !

Doug and Mike (the collectors in New Zealand) have asked me to point out that these chassis are not as commonly found as i might have indicated and that these were acquired over several years and not Months. They are in fact very hard to find and being in New Zealand you do of course have to travel further to find things.

Doug had a query on the repair of water jackets. This forum being an ideal place to ask such a question i have suggested that they register for HMVF and test our pooled knowledge. Someone is bound to know the answer here. Also perhaps you could tell us a bit more about your collection. Over to you chaps.

Tim (too)

It is pleasing to see these comments as to the early WW1 truck types in New Zealand. The remains of those are very few and far apart. The images shown are spread over a number of years, and as shown nothing is complete with a bare chassis being the most frequent unit found as old trailers. As some of these images are mine and forwarded on to GWT, I can speak on them.

The Thornycroft engine has been retrieved from in the trees, and is planned to be installed into a pre WW1 chassis.

The Thornycroft chassis photographed under trees will become the donor chassis for another Thornycroft project.

The restored Auto-car is part of the display at the Richardson Truck Museum.

The Benz wheels are again from a trailer

Mikes photos of his bits show again the type of condition as found

Its a long term search for parts.

Doug

:cool2:

Carefull, Catweazle will be after it...........:cool2:

Naah, the Wizard chucked it out in the first place, it was originally fitted in one of his early racing dugouts until he was seduced by something larger and shinier:wow:

Doug

I expect that Tim has given you leads for bits in New Zealand already. One that appeared in the old car press here about a year ago was the sighting of a Thornycroft radiator, engine and gearbox at The Sawmill Cafe, near Goat Island, Leigh, Rodney, North Island, NZ.

Another was some axles (one from a RAF type Leyland) being used on a trailer - seen at Scrappy Vern's yard in Paeroa, South Auckland.

Edited by Runflat