Landrover Gallery.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the Treadlight fitted lightweight or one to the same spec sold at Blackbush mid 90's, having come from being used at Shoeburyness ranges, where I believe it can get pretty soft underfoot. Can't remember the price though.

Does anyone know it''s original purpose?

I saw the Treadlight fitted lightweight or one to the same spec sold at Blackbush mid 90's, having come from being used at Shoeburyness ranges, where I believe it can get pretty soft underfoot. Can't remember the price though.

Bernard,

There was one of those Lightweights at Lydd Ranges, we always refered to it as the one with Carlos Fandango wheels (if you understand that you are showing your age!) :-D

They also had Mk1 Supacats and trailers

Very cool. Are you on a world trip in the lightweight? I take it you have sold up and moved abroard?

I am currently based in Malaysia but I was in the UK for 5 months, last year. I got the urge to rebuild something so the Lightweight was it. I shipped the Lightweight to Aus to coincide with my leave and we drove it from Brisbane, Sydney, Canberra, Adelaide and accross to Kalgoorlie with a few spots inbetween. The high ratio transfer box was the best investment.

I was looking for another one here but the one I found was utter rubbish with Rolls Royce price tag. So I bought a Pinz :)

hi all i have a project coming up hopefully but what i am after is refernace pics of S3 109 ambulances without the box body, by that i mean a standard 109 ragtop which would be used as a ambulance also any part lists on whats inside one would be awesome.

you can guess what i am trying to make lol

============================================

They were created (possibly by Marshall of Cambridge) for the Falklands soon after the 1982 conflict. I forget the quantity - ISTR about six.

Royal Marines "Winterized"

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0531.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0527.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0561.jpg

IMG_0567.jpg

--------------

This truck has all the hooks for securing the snow/ice blinds - other than the front panel. The front and rear blinds are a ruberized type fabric (possibly Hyperlon) rather than the normal duck canvas. The front blind is secured with press-studs rather than the tension springs on the canvas type.

No evidence at all of any stitching marks on the tilt of the front screen and door top blinds ever having been fitted.

As part of this project I am preparing another L'wt with a C.J. Williams (Aldershot) winterization kit , slave start and pukka internal thermal lining material. I would be very interested to view any winterized L'wt photographs readers may have - in particular any showing the real FULLTILT.

Regards

Tony

Royal Marines "Winterized"

Judging by the shape of the radiator blind, it was made for a normal Land Rover, and not an airportable, probably not original fitment.

I was only involved once on doing this modification, what was just prior to troops embarking for the Falklands war, there were a load of us detailed to get it done so it could be shipped. Too long ago now to remember details though.

I corresponded with C.J. Williams back in 1992 , they sent me a blueprint of their front blind - so this is defo. REME or RM.

The grill panel does not have the four hooks that a winterized with canvas blind would have and there is no evidence of holes having been drilled for the hooks.

Grillwinterized.jpg

IMG_1204-2.jpg

Pro-Techletter-1.jpg

I don't recall having seen a front blind like this before , you can see from the correspondence - converted by MOD not C.J. Williams

Yes - that front blind could be the type fitted to a civilian bodied S2A or S3 winterized because the type I have seen fitted to a L'wt (two positions set by hooks on grille panel) is tensioned by the two tension springs (see the blueprint) - on to these hooks on the dumb-irons

cleatwinterizeddumbiron.jpg

Of course on a civvy body Rover the front apron would be in the way of the tension springs - so yes it possibly was used on Civvy body (but I have seen furled canvas type on these bodies as well) . Defo. genuine in service kit - but how many had it - it seems a bit late in the day for finding out.

Tony

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...