A.E.C. Militant MK 1 Gallery

A.E.C Militant mk1 winch tractor ,Boughton 533f/s winch ex Fowler challenger .Land anchor ex land drainage machine . Winch sub frame ex Wetherhill loading shovel chassis . Built 1952? as 14 ft wheelbase 6x4 tractor w/winch sold 1972 to Grampian council converted to 6x6 using parts from an accident damaged 0860 militant ,used in the western isles until late 1980s ,sold at adt auction peterborough to Paul Harwin March Cambs restored as flat bed lorry, sold at Donington Auctions 1990 to Hathern boat services and then sold to David Crouch Kibworth ,was going to Bongoland to haul away the rainforest:argh: but bought by me and converted to winch tractor :-D

SSA29K.jpg

and then sold to David Crouch Kibworth ,was going to Bongoland to haul away the rainforest:argh: but bought by me and converted to winch tractor :-D

Now that was so much more effective than buying an acre of rainforest :-D Well done that man!

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Now that was so much more effective than buying an acre of rainforest :-D Well done that man!

Untitled-Scanned-01.jpg:whistle:

I noticed you'd mentioned that on another thread, CW:thumbsup:

If we all followed your example we might end up preserving something special to hand on to the next generation, but I was just thinking that NPT's Militant would have hauled out a heck of a lot more acres worth of trees during its working life out there had he not intervened :-D

P30401_002.jpg

2186_300w.jpg

1992.jpg

2270_700w.jpg

Not sure which mk is which:confused:

Well................. I can tell you what the second photo is :-D

It's an Albion WD HD 23N, and I'm pretty sure that was the one I tried to buy off a chap in West Sussex. He had it up for sale at 1500 pounds and it still had the original petrol engine in it. It had about 6,000 miles on the clock and the cab was near perfect, although the wing mountings were pretty poor.

When I tried to buy it off him, he had changed his mind about selling it and was going to put an AEC 760 engine in it. The last picture of it I saw was when he had taken the engine out. He was in the process of moving out of his yard and I haven't been able to contact him for some time. I would have liked to see how he got on with the conversion; bearing in mind that the Albions gear linkage is mounted on the engine crankcase.

He was in the scrap metal business and was going to fit a flat bed on the back for carrying scrap cars. :)

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Well thats sorted those out,just dumping loads pics clean up pc.Albion its obvious really init small world though.Most of the vehicles belonged to Travellors.

• 2 weeks later...