A.E.C. Militant MK 1 Gallery

I love the old Millys (Knockers) and like you say the tipper version is very unusual..i used to drive a 8t TM tipper...doesnt quite cut it against the Milly! I hope it has survived somewhere in the world..its a good testament to British truck builders..look at the Bedford Mj's and TM's that the Army still running. I remember a load of Millys at Colerne in the late eighties in the driver training hanger..never moved and were covered in dust.

There is on Mk1 that id be interest to know of its whereabouts..its a wrecker that was working in a yard in Plymouth about 10 years ago..i was considering buying it myself but instead put a fellow enthusiast onto it..i noticed it had gone and never heard anymore about it..it was red and its Reg No. is LAX 40D. I have a couple of pics which ill try and scan onto pc and post on here.

Loads of old pics on Facebook..look on Royal Corps of Transport group.

Yes, they're very nice!

I've never seen any in preservation 6 X 6, I've only ever seen a couple in a yard once.

I wonder where they all went?

I still have the telephone number of someone called Martin who was selling a Militant tipper for £800 near Heathrow many years ago. I think that like most tippers, they got worked to death, and then scrapped. That's what makes Will's Albion, with it's super cool headlight plinths, so unusual.

tease.gif

I have a couple of pics which ill try and scan onto pc and post on here.

Loads of old pics on Facebook..look on Royal Corps of Transport group.

It would be very interesting to see any more 'photos you may have. I'm still looking to match the two Constructors in the pix you posted with any I know of that have survived. Thanks also for the Facebook tip. woohoo1.gif

I still have the telephone number of someone called Martin who was selling a Militant tipper for £800 near Heathrow many years ago. I think that like most tippers, they got worked to death, and then scrapped. That's what makes Will's Albion, with it's super cool headlight plinths, so unusual.

tease.gif

I saw 'Martins' tipper, it wasn't a genuine one, just a 'normal' Militant someone had put a scow ended tipper body onto.

What Albion is Will's?

I saw 'Martins' tipper, it wasn't a genuine one, just a 'normal' Militant someone had put a scow ended tipper body onto.

There was a Militant tipper on the show scene for a short time in the Eighties with a scow end body, similar if not the same, as the Aveling Barford (LD55) Dumptruck that was in army service. I think it may have come from one of the military trials establishments, Chertsey or similar.

What Albion is Will's?

You Rotter ! All these years I've been dreaming about this Martin's Militant tipper only to find out it's not a proper one. You could have broken the news a bit more sensitively. Plan 'B' is to steal Will's tipper one night.....but only after he's restored it.laugh.gif

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?t=11923

There was a Militant tipper on the show scene for a short time in the Eighties with a scow end body, similar if not the same, as the Aveling Barford (LD55) Dumptruck that was in army service. I think it may have come from one of the military trials establishments, Chertsey or similar.

Richard, thanks for mentioning that. I wouldn't be surprised if the Militant you refer to left the show scene and was put back to work. If it did, it wouldn't be the only Militant Mk 1, I can think of two, that were thought to be safely in preservation but were 'lost'.

You Rotter ! All these years I've been dreaming about this Martin's Militant tipper only to find out it's not a proper one. You could have broken the news a bit more sensitively. Plan 'B' is to steal Will's tipper one night.....but only after he's restored it.laugh.gif

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?t=11923

Thanks for the link to Will's Albion 6 X 6, very interesting.....

......oh and sorry I'm an insensitive rotter! lol

nice pics. What does 'fahrschule' stand for? Is it driving school? I do agree, these 'in service' pictures are more interesting than the average 'rally' picture. It's good to get an idea as to what they were like, although I don't think I'll be chalking 'mean machine' on mine just yet! :)

Is this a bridging truck, basically a cargo with a winch, and it's associated trailer ? Does anyone know ? One has to admire these drivers. It's bad enough just taking an unladen Militant out on the road never mind one with the steering wheel on the wrong side plus towing a trailer of this length.

n723031984_1474522_120.jpg