A.E.C. Militant MK 1 Gallery

if the chassis number is anything to go by.. 0859 067 ? BTW, does anyone know how many mk1 militants were built?

Over the entire span of production, of all types, I have heard a figure of roughly 2,500 in total. Gun tractors I have heard of a total of around 350. That's what I've heard. John Harrington, Military Vehicle Officer, of the AEC Society may have a better idea than me.

Edited by 6 X 6

Pete, what types of Militant do you own ? Are they all MK 1 ? What do you know about their history ? Cheers. (and yes, THEY do own you)

there all mk1s first one is a gs cargo 27cl51 as seen on some early picks second one is a mk1 with a mk3 atlas and the other one is a short wheel base bridging lorry but its just a chassis cab at the moment

there all mk1s first one is a gs cargo 27cl51 as seen on some early picks second one is a mk1 with a mk3 atlas and the other one is a short wheel base bridging lorry but its just a chassis cab at the moment

Thank you for your reply.

What a nice collection ! It sounds as though the gs cargo has fixed, and not drop, sides. Is it 6 X 4 like the one below ?

sc0007632601.jpg

The SWB chassis cab is a bridging truck ? That's interesting. I didn't know they produced a SWB bridging truck. Most SWB lorries with a winch were gun tractors. You can't beat a MK 1 Militant. Best drive there is out on the road. A really nice lorry in every way.

and there she is at war and peace

Pete, thanks very much. Yes, I do know of this one but didn't make the connection with you. What a beauty ! One of the best ones out there. Thanks for posting these wonderful 'photos. (Got any more pix that could be posted ? Cheers)

Just been out on the mountain bike gettin muddy over Hounslow Heath when on my way back along the A30 past Heathrow i got the shock of my life. There was a Mk1 sitting behind a stack of hay bales. Didn't stop to inquire as i was in a hurry.I think it had an Atlas Crane on the back. Looked in alright condition. Maybe the owner is gonna restore it.

Just been out on the mountain bike gettin muddy over Hounslow Heath when on my way back along the A30 past Heathrow i got the shock of my life. There was a Mk1 sitting behind a stack of hay bales. Didn't stop to inquire as i was in a hurry.I think it had an Atlas Crane on the back. Looked in alright condition. Maybe the owner is gonna restore it.

It's always nice to come across an interesting vehicle unexpectedly like that. Personally, I'd prefer to spend an hour looking over something found behind a barn than see 50 lorries all lined up at some show. I hope you'll have your camera with you when you're next over that way. Cheers.