A.E.C. Militant MK 1 Gallery

The only think that I am aware of is Methanol and this was only used to stop the air system icing up in cold weather, no lubricating properties I would have thought. I would be extremely doubtful that any type of lubricant was injected into an air system.

The talk of air tool oil is totally different, this is to lubricate air motors, not usually any rubber in them either.

OK, thanks, I've not suggested air tool oil. I'll try to find out more.

I've been working on trucks for more years than I care to remember and have never heard of any lubricant to put in the system, valve problems we normally replaced with new/service items, actuators we used to strip and rebuild but beware, spring actuators can be lethal. Apart from replacing diaphragms in later years we just used to fit service units as it became more cost effective. How much value do you put on peoples lives?

I've been working on trucks for more years than I care to remember and have never heard of any lubricant to put in the system, valve problems we normally replaced with new/service items, actuators we used to strip and rebuild but beware, spring actuators can be lethal. Apart from replacing diaphragms in later years we just used to fit service units as it became more cost effective. How much value do you put on peoples lives?

Thank you Degsy, excellent advice. We all have a duty to maintain braking systems in perfect working order for the very reason you allude to in your final sentence. I'm sorry if it seemed as though I was suggesting otherwise as that was not my intention. If you look back over my posts I am appealing for information rather than making a recommendation.

Really, we are voyaging into an interesting area here. I mean, what is a "restoration" ? I'm sure we can all think of vehicles on the rally circuit that were cruddy old lorries that stood for years and then were given a paint pot restoration and may now look resplendent in new paint with all the correct markings but beneath the paint is that same cruddy, and potentially dangerous, lorry.

Edited by 6 X 6

Thank you Degsy, excellent advice. We all have a duty to maintain braking systems in perfect working order for the very reason you allude to in your final sentence. I'm sorry if it seemed as though I was suggesting otherwise as that was not my intention. If you look back over my posts I am appealing for information rather than making a recommendation.

Really, we are voyaging into an interesting area here. I mean, what is a "restoration" ? I'm sure we can all think of vehicles on the rally circuit that were cruddy old lorries that stood for years and then were given a paint pot restoration and may now look resplendent in new paint with all the correct markings but beneath the paint is that same cruddy, and potentially dangerous, lorry.

You have nothing to apologise for, perhaps it is I who should be doing the apologising as I commented in my usual rather blunt way but I had no intention to be critical.

As regards your second paragraphI totally agree, this is something that has always concerned me both from the safety point of view and because the powers that be would just love to find an excuse to withdraw the priveleges that we enjoy. I wouldn't compromise on safety to maintain complete originality, ie fitting indicators, I have had a number of arguments with people on this subject but on todays roads I believe they

are essential.

Simon I think the valve fitted to your Milly would have been a standard item in it's day fitted to many trucks, it may well be worth your while to contact your local truck parts factors with either the sample part or part no, they may be able to come up with a service item or alternatively have your valve reconned.

and because the powers that be would just love to find an excuse to withdraw the priveleges that we enjoy.

That's a concern many of us share. It wouldn't take much to get us banned from the roads. Maybe we could start a thread looking at ways whereby we could avoid this fate.

Degsy, regarding originality, I have a lorry with trafficators but I also have "lollypop" flashers on the same vehicle for road use that can be quickly removed when arriving at a show. You're dead right, it's daft and dangerous to go out on the Queen's Highway with an indicator system most other drivers will never have seen before. Kind regards, Tom

That's a concern many of us share. It wouldn't take much to get us banned from the roads. Maybe we could start a thread looking at ways whereby we could avoid this fate.

Degsy, regarding originality, I have a lorry with trafficators but I also have "lollypop" flashers on the same vehicle for road use that can be quickly removed when arriving at a show. You're dead right, it's daft and dangerous to go out on the Queen's Highway with an indicator system most other drivers will never have seen before. Kind regards, Tom

I think I'm getting paranoid Tom be carefull not to highlight loopholes that the powers that be have forgotten about or maybe don't even know about :sweat:! Happy new year mate and hope the runout tomorrow goes to plan ! Plenty of pics or video please ! Andy :-D

Good idea,:idea: go ahead.

I might start a thread on this subject in the next week or so if no one else has already done so by then. Stuff like pulling over and letting cars pass when we're out on the road with a slow moving HMV's helps avoid potentially dangerous situations building up. Most of us do this sort of thing. (I hope)

I think I'm getting paranoid Tom be carefull not to highlight loopholes that the powers that be have forgotten about or maybe don't even know about :sweat:! Happy new year mate and hope the runout tomorrow goes to plan ! Plenty of pics or video please ! Andy :-D

"or maybe don't even know about" there you have it Andy, I mean, if 'they' knew how much fun we're having they'd ban it tomorrow as stopping anyone enjoying themselves seems to be the main thrust of government policy. From 31st of Jan 2009 they've even banned bondage. That means it will be illegal to tie up the Mrs. No wonder people aren't bothering to get married these days. I ask you, where's it all going to end ?

Thank you for your New Year greeting. The lorry is ready and I'm sure I'll get there and back in one piece. Will take camera.

• 2 weeks later...
Some more Milly Mk1's for you guys...:)

Austin, thank you for posting these fabulous pictures.

They certainly do look nice. Both appear to be 6 X 4 and, as Simon suggests, both have the early type cabs. A few, maybe three or four, fixed side cargos have survived into preservation but no fuel tankers that I'm aware of. I wonder where these 'photos were taken. Judging from the road position, not in the UK. Germany perhaps ?

I have seen some 5 / 6 years back a mk1 milly tanker not sure if it was genuine or not because it was to far away but it was opposite dudley zoo it was when they were building the new retail park / tesco's dose any one know were it went after the builders finished ?

Pete, it would be nice to think one, or two, have survived. It's just possible.

sc00082e3201.jpg

just looking at the militant photo's again... should mine have headlight protectors (or are they steps?)

I've seen pictures of very early Militants that didn't have any. They're headlight protectors not steps. If you can see two holes, about 1/2" dia, for bolts on the lower front bumper, inline with the headlights, then maybe your lorry once had them. They'd be very easy to make if you had a pattern.

sc00087c3b.jpg