A.E.C. Militant MK 1 Gallery

Found these, and thought everyone would like to see them. Anybody recognise the numbers, are they still around?

First one is at 25 Engineer Regiment Osnabrusk at an open day in the late eighties. Adapted to carry the Heavy Girder Over Bridge, and towing a bomb mat trailer, the unit had quite a few of these still going strong. A model of the bridge is on the table in front. (Dont know where the Champ came from).

Second picture is first generation so to speak. Late fifties, possibly on Soltau. Picture taken by my Father in Law of his mate Bill Cave. They were both National Serviceman with

an Artillery Regiment stationed near Bergen Hohne

HGOB Militant.jpg

RA Militant 2.jpg

In answer to the questions, I am waiting for some other pictures to come from my Father in Law, and I will get better info about his regiment at the time, and about the white mirror. As for the bumper corners etc on the RE one, I dont remember any particular regulations about it, but it was always done, any extremity/sticky out bit was painted white

If that is a Royal artillery Aec , the first picture im thinking it may have been a launch platform for a drone possible 94 loc regt or 32 hy regt as the launch platform extends over the front of the cab

Might be worth you having another look at the first picture, that's big bits of bridge hanging over the cab, known as side transomes. Now, have a look at the model on the table

Might be worth you having another look at the first picture, that's big bits of bridge hanging over the cab, known as side transomes. Now, have a look at the model on the table

Just thinking the same after i noticed the trailer behind the wagon ,never even looked at the table

Edited by bjbsophey
additional info

is the mirror white or silver? I have some new ones and they are silver.

Been looking at original photo again, but I cannot be sure, it could be either colour. Cant see why you would want to paint it white, so would suggest it could be a new one yet to be painted, knowing what drivers can be like at knocking them off :D:D

• 2 weeks later...
10 ton 6 X 6 with Prototype Tipping Platform Body built by Bri-Mec.

sc000db1e1.jpg

Take that idea one step further - with something (winch?) to load/unload the flat-bed "body" - and you would have DROPS ! :-)

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll21/ANDYSCAMMELL/Foden/DSC03434.jpg

Edited by RCT(V)
To add link to DROPS in the Foden thread . . .

Oh! . . . . I’ve arrived “Home” !! (See AVATAR). :-)

I only joined the forum a couple of days ago - in search of information on Fox, and surplus Scorpion 76mm turrets.

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?21881-Fox-chassis-%28without-top-heavy-turret%29-WHERE-ARE-THEY&p=238074#post238074

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?21880-ex-Scorpions-76mm-turrets-WHERE-ARE-THEY

I found this thread earlier today - just before lunch time - and, I have thoroughly enjoyed the last 5-6 hours “trawling” through every page.

In 1968, studying at the College of Commerce, in Hull, I took the “Queen’s shilling” with the local RCT(V) unit (218 Sqn?), which was equipped with nothing bigger than Bedford RL.

In 1970, I started work with Fodens in Sandbach, and continued my TA service with 236 Sqn RCT(V) in Manchester. They had Mk1 Militants, which I enjoyed driving for the short time before I was commissioned in 1971 - and, transferred over to 238 Sqn RCT(V) in Bootle. They also had Militants.

I’ve come-over all nostalgic. I think I’ll have to go for a lie-down! :-)

Edited by RCT(V)

Oh! . . . . I’ve arrived “Home” !! (See AVATAR). :-)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38619[/ATTACH]

I found this thread earlier today - just before lunch time - and, I have thoroughly enjoyed the last 5-6 hours “trawling” through every page

I’ve come-over all nostalgic. I think I’ll have to go for a lie-down! :-)

I recognise these symptoms as the early stages of MV fever, most of us started like this, it will only get worse, and eventually you just "have" to go and buy one of your own. :D

Welcome to the forum, you should do a proper introduction thread

Got another picture from the Father in Laws album, and more info on this and the previous one.

This is my Father in Law Eric, in the cab of his militant 01BP41. Like the earlier picture this was taken in 1957. He served his National Service with 77 Heavy Regiment RA stationed at Delmonhurst West Germany, in 1957/58. The unit had a substantial collection of Millys all with the registration 01BP.... from 20 odd through to 40 something. All were 6 x 6 short wheelbase tractors.

I copied this from earlier in this thread, said to be at the MOD auctions.

Eric says he was sure that this was also one of 77s vehicles until it suffered a major shunt on the near side, and was sent to base workshops for repair.

Eric Militant.jpg

01bp28[1].jpg

great pictures, I think the militant at auction is th one owned by Charlie Brown at Clitheroe, I'll ask him for his reg.

My eyes might be playing up, does the BW photo show the militant without a N/s door handle? Also, all the artillery tractors must have been delivered with a box under the n/s rear body access door, but later it was removed and replaced with steps, as on mine, and on the colour picture above.

On the rad, the cover looks to be fabric, on mine and later ones it seems to have been replaced with an aluminium one, which should sit just above the number plate. Interestingly, the one shown above has it missing, as does the militant owned by Charlie.

Edited by Simon Daymond

Hi Simon,

Well spotted on the missing door handle, I hadn't noticed it at all. Guess it must have been snapped off at some point and was yet to be replaced. Be nice to find out from Charlie if 01 BP 28 is his. Did you notice it has a different pattern front bumper. This could follow Erics idea that it had a shunt, maybe the bumper was replaced during the repair.

• 4 weeks later...

yep, yet another, ooh it weighs 10 tonne (with tyres, glass, oils etc) so scrap is £x therefore £x multiplied by 10 etc. What these folk always quote is the price for clean cast, not the price for mixed rubbish. True it still has a high price just in scrap, but £1800! no chance.

I've chased another militant in as bad a condition, that owner has too many pound signs in his eyes for his own good.

This example looks a neglected wreck, and will no doubt be a mammoth job to get right, you could break it for spares, but £1800 buys an awful lot of bits.

Ad says it drives well, but looking at the rust on the compressor pulley, how long has it been stood?

'Starts with a tow' - that could mean anything from having flat batteries to a cabbaged electrical system. Looks like someone has rung all the life out of this and is now looking to get a profit out of silly buggers like us who restore stuff.

Good luck to anyone who takes this on, but I suspect it'll end up going for scrap.

Anyway, something a little happier, the militant that came in from the cold..

SS852367.jpg

Edited by Simon Daymond

Hi Simon , I'm sad to say you are probably right with the prospects for this old girl ! Always a shame to see them last this long only to end up being cut up ! On a happier note your Millie is looking very well looked after ! Well done for saving her ! Is she residing in the dry permanently now as that will make a huge difference to any cosmetic work you've carried out ! Nothing like seeing all your hard work slowly going rusty again to dampen the spirits ! :D

I've tried to find out what year it is, but the seller can't find the chassis number. Doh! If it still had it's Atlas crane, and it were close I'd have it for spares, but as it is it seems a bit overpriced.

Jules

Why is it that anything like that is always at the other end of the country, bit too far to visit and never good enough to make an offer on spec.

Incidently, nice picture Simon

• 3 months later...