A.E.C. Militant MK 1 Gallery

Another pic from 7 sqn rct group on F/B.

Mk 1 Militant tanker Cyprus 76. This was long gone when i was there in 92 although the old J Type bedford sewage wagon was still there!

Thanks for posting Extrogg. I've not seen a photograph of one of these before and I've certainly not seen one in the flesh. I wonder if the Bedford has survived. You could have no end of fun with it, fully laden, at shows.

sc00082e32.jpg

sc00082e3201.jpg

Id say the tanker version is quite a rarity. All the tankers during my time were Fodens and then AWD's. I was in the heavy transport troop in Cyprus and had a fleet of mostly MJ's a TK and some more modern Bedfords used for UNHCR runs into the north. We had many variants of the MJ including GS, Fridge Bodied, UBRE, Water Tanker and of course the UGGI Wagons which were the sewage suckers! I had the honour/privalige of driving these. I did all the different jobs but my main ask was keeping the UN's cesspits emptied and dumping the load (no pun intended!!) over a cliff at a refuse tip outside of Famagusta. Best run was to an Austrian OP which was situated in the heart of the ghost city of Famagusta..very spooky!

Sorry for going off topic. Ill put my sandbag back now!

Anyway i love the Millys and would one day love to have a shot at driving one.

The pipes are in an awkward place in the top of the tanker. You'd need three arms to get them back in the storage tubes, otherwise it would be like trying to push a bit of wet string up a hole........................er. for want of a better expression. The other problem is that if they don't have caps on the pipes, they would drip all over you and the ground. Not too clever. :) Nice looking truck though. :)

The other problem is that if they don't have caps on the pipes, they would drip all over you and the ground. Not too clever.

Well, as usual, the last person to be considered, or consulted, at the design stage is the poor ****** who will be driving or operating the whatever. :sweat:

very nice, is that yours?

Yes. I took those B&W pix yesterday. I had hoped those photographs looked as though they had been taken in 1958 ! Oh well. This was it's first time out of the barn and into the daylight for almost four years. It started immediately, built and held it's air and all the electrics worked OK. (Praise the Lord !) It's never been to a show so I'm thinking about taking it to a small local do in a couple of months time.

Simon, I'll PM you this evening with the 'photos of the interior of the body you asked for. I'm sorry it's taken so long but this gun tractor was blocked in by another lorry and I couldn't get any decent pictures, in the daylight, until now. How did you get on with spraying the chassis on your one ? Regards, Tom

DSCF0975-1.jpg

DSCF0973.jpg

Edited by 6 X 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Don't bother asking if this bit, or that bit, is a available because the answer will be no. In fact, my friend who took these photographs recently and passed them on to me said he would have left without his nuts if the owner had found him in there. These pix were taken in Somerset where, as you know, all the best lorries are. It's a pity, it would make an idea next project for Simon what with him having made such a superb job of SFF 142.

DSCF1065.jpg

DSCF1076.jpg

DSCF1075.jpg

That's not posed, that is art!

It reminded me of Sir Edwin Landsear's painting "The Monarch of the Glen". The only obvious difference being Sir Edwin featured a stag and not a 6 X 4 Militant.

where & when?

Sorry Simon, I've no idea. The picture of TYJ 905 is one of several photographs of different lorries that were sent to me recently by a friend of mine. Looking at the modified front towing arrangement, the steel plate hides the original towing pin, it maybe, maybe, one of those ex driver training gun tractors mentioned earlier in this thread.

Like this.

scan0010-1.jpg

It doesn't appear to be this one.......same steel plate mod but different reg number. Maybe someone could tell us a bit more about TYJ 905 in post 472.

4aece340-2.jpg