Scammell Constructor Gallery.

Steve bought the body for "Scope"in two halves. It wasn't on a vehicle. He welded the two halves together, but the floor (one inch thick) wasn't with it. The floor is recycled from a scrap yard, not the original. I don't think steve had the back doors.

Wonderful way to tour the Mendip Hills ! Sorry about quality havent sussed how to access videos from Sony picture motion browser with youtube uploader yet ! Any suggestions welcome ! :-D Something went wrong...

Edited by AndyFowler

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Seems to me you spend a lot of time riding around away from home,dont tell me your up to something this wk end:cool2::-D

You'd have been lucky Andy - I called in on several occasions to the quarry at break time (thinking about it, it always seemed to be break time there............) and Peter's first words were "Here's a seat, here's a tea, now tell us a funny story" - sometimes the conversation never got anywhere near Scammells :-D

He left some years back with a few truckloads of earthmoving tackle and spent a while building roads into the African bush to recover quite a few traction engines and narrow gauge steam locomotives, all of which made it back to the UK (except for one of a pair of ploughing engines which fell off the barge he had built to float it across a river), married a native woman, very nearly died from a snake bite and that's the last I heard.

If anyone can finish the story to date I'd be very grateful. Is he still with us? It was always a real pleasure to meet him.

Still at the quarry a couple of years ago, think he spends 6 months here and about the same in Africa. Last time I was there he was trying to get a couple of Foden eight legers running to take to Africa, 5 tea breaks later it was time for tea.:goodidea:

Still at the quarry a couple of years ago, think he spends 6 months here and about the same in Africa. Last time I was there he was trying to get a couple of Foden eight legers running to take to Africa, 5 tea breaks later it was time for tea.:goodidea:

Thanks Grumpy - I'd assumed the quarry had closed years ago. I'll make an effort call there when I'm next Banbury way (or Ngorongoro way :-D)

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Thanks Grumpy - I'd assumed the quarry had closed years ago. I'll make an effort call there when I'm next Banbury way (or Ngorongoro way :-D)

:rofl::rofl::rofl: well i never he is still going strong then.You even spelt it right great place if you get the chance.biggest quary in the world,sorry crater:-D

Hi 6X6 and Andy, what a wonderful day you clearly had, and what a wow the Scammell looked.

I am so pleased that it went well and sad to have missed an opportunity to see more of it.

However, the balance on the day was better as it was, with the elements well matched in terms of experience and expertise.

• 2 weeks later...
Is that the same reg.no. as the Constructor in post 379 ?

FV11301, Thank you for a timely and interesting post, Reg No. is HFO 990 on both lorries.

CCF23012009_00001.jpg

Bowles1-2.jpg

Mike- I have some photos of HFO 990 taken a few weeks ago by my Dad. Malcolm Bowles still has it and it is in pretty regular use. He has another constructor for spares. I have no way of scanning photos at my current location, but will put them on as soon as I can. Best wishes. Daz

Mike- I have some photos of HFO 990 taken a few weeks ago by my Dad. Malcolm Bowles still has it and it is in pretty regular use. He has another constructor for spares. I have no way of scanning photos at my current location, but will put them on as soon as I can. Best wishes. Daz

We look forward to the photos Daz, thank Dad for the trouble next time you see him.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...