Scammell Constructor Gallery.

They're now in BA3 and you're very welcome to visit but only if you're a complete nutter. :cool2:

Not a million miles from home is that, in fact it's pretty much on the straight line between uni and home (the straight line otherwise known as the M5)- could I be extremely cheeky and as if I too could possibly visit at some point in the future? I'd love to see your Constructor in the metal, as it where- lovely looking beastie.

Matt

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

A few years back in a vintage truck mag there was a story of a guy working out there who bought a cut up Constructor from the oil company. It cost a lot to crane them onto transport and move to his company's yard where he skillfully welded the bits back together. As soon as he had finished this local person turned up and claimed ownership, insisting the vehicle be returned and refusing to sell it. The guy had no choice but to take it back to where he'd found the bits. Looks like these could be pics from the same place?

I haven,t read the whole thread yet and apologies if I am going over old ground, but does anyone know what happened to the two (I think their were two of them) Scammell Constructors that belonged to the PSA at the Sovereign Base Areas in Cyprus? (They were 'Tin back types as used by the RAF) I wangled a short drive in one of them in 1977. They used to visit us once a year to test our generators ( NATO Ace High Station JCGZ Cape Greco - long gone) they pulled a big dummy load trailer and I supposed they served other purposes. I did see one of them mentioned in an early issue of classic military vehicles.

I believe Steve Guest has or had one, here is one (may be the same one) which was for sale a year or two back - could have been an ex Cyprus vehicle?

Rumour has it that Steve Guest has recently tried to sell a lot of his older kit withoiut much luck, and decided to wiigh a lot of it in. Whether either or both of his RAF Constructors got the chop I don't know, but both looked very sick when I saw them the year before last.

This is/was the Cyprus one.

Thanks for that pic of an old friend....the tin sunshade and PSA on the door certainly makes me think that was one of them. Of course in those days it had the ballast body and no 5th wheel. I suppose the old greek civilian driver those days has long gone to dust, God rest all their souls.

Rumour has it that Steve Guest has recently tried to sell a lot of his older kit withoiut much luck, and decided to wiigh a lot of it in. Whether either or both of his RAF Constructors got the chop I don't know, but both looked very sick when I saw them the year before last.

This is/was the Cyprus one.

Both Constructors still there and not as rough as they look, the Cyprus Constructor is still for sale, If anyone is interested PM me and I can put you in touch with Steve. Only junk got weighed in, Steve still has lots of toys.

Both Constructors still there and not as rough as they look, the Cyprus Constructor is still for sale, If anyone is interested PM me and I can put you in touch with Steve. Only junk got weighed in, Steve still has lots of toys.

Thank god for that but with Steve you never know!

• 1 month later...
I wonder what happened to the trailer ! I seem to remember the whole outfit for sale in a magazine some time ago ! :-D

That trailer looks very similar to the Dyson 50 tonner which was made for the transportation of transformers in New Zealand in the early 1950s... towed then by Scammell Pioneers and Diamnod Ts.

Was it a blue one . There is one at the M.I.R.A testing grounds all it has done aparently is tension wire rope central reservation barrier when they were carrying out research on them. there is an old runway there. I went there on numerous occasions taking amblances for crash testing but for the life of me cant remember the name of the place.

Its a nuneton last time i went was 2 years ago but it was always parked in same place but was still in use. have put link to where i saw it but the site is huge

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=CV10+0TU&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=11.979639,28.081055&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Nuneaton+CV10+0TU,+United+Kingdom&ll=52.553685,-1.464958&spn=0.000188,0.000428&t=h&z=14&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a

that hasnt worked what have i done wrong

Edited by cosrec

• 3 weeks later...

Another thread that has kept me glued to the screen for a few hours! Thanks, guys!

Regarding the propshaft issue, I looked at something on a special crane (Film & TV Camera Crane, not lifting type) many years ago which might help, or would be worth thinking about.

The shafts were long enough to have cut, and we designed a slipping joint, which could be locked solid from outside, or set to slip at various torques, so for most road work it could be set to slip at a reasonable level to allow the twin axles to run at slightly different speeds, but if you knew that you needed full drive, you could get underneath (BEFORE you needed it!) and lock it up.

It took about 3 inches of length out of the shaft and most was actually inside the tube. It was designed with sufficient overlap of the joint that it didn't allow any bending, and the props were fairly short anyway, and as it was a small diameter shaft it wasn't too much of a problem. Only one shaft needed the work, no need to do both.

Just throwing that in for thought. I think we looked at Tufnol for the gripping sleeve, which didn't need any lubrication as there was only minimal rotation between the two bits that moved past each other. To lock it up there was a socket head screw buried in the clamp that was accessible from outside the shaft.

Probably still got the drawings somewhere, it wasn't CAD in those days!

Peter

Peter, thank you for taking the trouble to post what sounds like a excellent idea. Certainly, it would be well worth considering for any Constructor owner with insufficient tyres to make up a good match between the axles. When evenly matched tyres are fitted to each axle I don't think there is an "issue". Has this been the experience of other people ?

I'm not completely sure, from reading your very thoughtful post, whether you actually fitted a slip joint to the film and camera crane or just researched materials and prepared drawings. I can't help wondering why this camera crane could not have simply been equipped with matching wheels/tyres. What was it about this crane that prompted you to consider installing a slip joint ?

P.S. Please P.M. me if you do come across your slip joint drawings. I'd love a copy and I will pay your expenses and postage. Cheers.

Edited by 6 X 6