Scammell Pioneer Gallery

All pictures received thanks Edd and very arty and atmospheric!!

Hopefully there are some pics of tank transporters (two balast tractors taken at Kemble 2 years ago) on this post, the final one (blue) is a vehicle I managed to get some spares from, made a note of REME plate, chassis number 4563 and army reg 10YZ66. My vehicle didn't have a REME plate so must have been sold into civy street early after the war? However if that was the case it only gained its first registration in 1953. Can anyone shed light on this.....?

Jerry

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

• 1 month later...

I took my out for a little drive, on the farm this weekend, and used the opportunity to take some better pictures of it.

It has a spilt radiator bottom and it leaks a bit of diesel some places but it is running and driving.

CIMG5376.jpg

CIMG5371.jpg

CIMG5380.jpg

CIMG5383.jpg

CIMG5381.jpg

CIMG5378.jpg

CIMG5395.jpg

Niels v Getting it to the point where you could have it rolling about under its own power has to be good for it , flexing the joints and circulating the fluids and giving you a glimpse of what your work towards , Nice farm buildings as well .

All that fresh gravel must have cost you a bit ?

Edited by abn deuce

It is really nice to have it running, and it is so much easy to move around with it now.

The cravel actualy was there when my farther bought the farm 6 years ago, but it takes a lot of work to keep it free form weeds.

CIMG5379.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
I have a set of overall tracks which came from an explorer ,they are similar to the ones shown in your picture apart from the cross bars which are flat bars with a double twist on them , they came from a timber /earthmoving contractor who operated near Kettering northants.I think the explorer he operated still exists it was sold to Badger Bros recovery at Lubenham nr market harborough reg no YNV 185 J .

The pioneer in niels v last picture shows a late build sv/2s with wheel lifting hubs and shows the spare wheel carrier under the jib

I own the Scammell explorer YNV 185J I bought it about 5 year ago from a farm in Reading. I have now nearlly finished restoring it. Does any one know any more history about it.

I own the Scammell explorer YNV 185J I bought it about 5 year ago from a farm in Reading. I have now nearlly finished restoring it. Does any one know any more history about it.

Your scammell was owned by Michael Watson timber /earthmoving contractor from loddington nr kettering northants he sold it to paul badger from lubenham leics

• 5 weeks later...

I enquired about this one over three years ago, before buying the Ward La France. I seem to remember the price was about £7500 back then which I thought was too much at the time.

The vehicle certainly doesn't look any better three years later so maybe the asking price has been reduced.

• 5 weeks later...
9de68b183abe9fc6ca6a56ca08366921.jpg

Don't suppose there's many of these around now, TRMU 20 rather than the more common (if you can call them common!) TRMU 30. Apparently this machine saw little or no action during the war as its 20ton rating was insufficient to pull the tanks which were growing increasingly heavier. It spent all its civilian life working for R Edwards the showmen of Swindon until laid up in 1971. Engine now rebuilt and front of cab replaced, just needs finishing....

I read earlier some dicussion on the gearing/final drive of these machines (tank transporters), they were indeed different to the recovery/artillery Pioneers. The same engine (Gardner 6LW) and gearbox (6 speed "crash box") is used but an entirely different rear axle with lower final drive ratio. Even the walking beams/hubs are different. They use 15.00X20 tyres on the rear as opposed to the recovery/artillery which use 14.00X20. This machine as previously mentioned is the 20 ton model tank transporter, identifiable by the 8 stud fron wheels and should have 10.50X20 tyres. Top speed 18mph!

Hi thats one off ours i used to ride in her with my dad i used to stand on the seat and shoot my toy gun out the hole in the roof

we had two the other one was faster 25 mph !!

my uncle Albert used to drive it all the time

Epic winch

• 1 month later...

Hoping to get going with mine again in 2011. I've done the easy bit by taking it all to pieces, left it alone for nearly three years, so I bet I'll have no problem putting it back together (lucky I've got a photographic memory -- not)

Found this picture on the web taken of the old girl several years ago, but was rebuilt before I bought it.

084-01100886ScammellPioneer6x6W44MiliaryOBU223+.jpg

Here it is in 2005 after a fair bit of fettling including replacing the clutch ......

......then we took the body off

..... did the rouinds for another year ...........

......... then ripped the cab apart ......

.... did some repairs, remade the floor and made up a few panels ....

...... then kinda lost the plot really and bought a few other toys to play with -- BUT -- the engine is run at least every fortnight and we shunt it back and forward every now and then to move the oil about, so hopefully the standing about won't have done much harm

We think it's been on the "too difficult" pile for long enough, so time to sharpen up the spanners and brave the cold I think ........

Scammell lydeard 05.jpg

Scammell longsutton 05 23.jpg

Scammell Honiton 05.jpg

DSC00005.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00144.jpg

DSC00083.jpg

DSC00200.JPG

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00001.jpg

Malcolm,

You've taken it apart? When me and dad came to verify the K9 i think you had de-skinned the cab, didn't think you were going to take it aprt.

Richard Fryer

I haven't touched it really since you came over, so don't panic, the piccies are very much how it is today, but the K9 is coming on nicely (just the wings and bonnet left to do -- ha ha) and is going to look grand hitched up to the back of the Scammell

Austin K9 and Bedford RL 2010.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I've driven through Salisbury loads of times and I've never seen it. Has anyone heard of, or know anything about, this one ?

"An immaculately turned out example of the SV/25 'Pioneer' recovery tractor was travelled by Bernard Cole & Sons, Southampton for many years. The integral body incorporated a roller shutter at the rear. Later, 'Sir Hilary' as it was called (to commemorate the 1953 Everest Expedition) passed to Jimmy Williams of Tadley, Herts. and finally into preservation with Steve and Vicky Postlethwaite of Salisbury, Wilts.

sc00475b7e02.jpg

Not looking so pristine these days unfortunately but does still run and drive!

SDC13870.jpg

SDC13869.jpg

SDC13866.jpg