Scammell Pioneer Gallery

Not looking so pristine these days unfortunately but does still run and drive!

That is beautiful! I hope it will be restored to its fairground condition.

*Edit* Rethink it would look right with a standard front end and the fairground rear... well I think so anyway:D

Edited by rog8811

Yes just acquired it, rear tyres are 14.00r20 road tread, will be kept in showland guise when first used by B.Cole in around 1954.

Has at some stage picked up a tanktransporter hub on the rear O/S, and no doubt has received numerous other running repairs over the years. Could still be its original engine since block is cast iron.

• 3 weeks later...
Nice pictures, but that is an explorer not a pioneer.:blush:

Nice picture but they are two Explorers, not Pioneers....

Dunno what the difference is, look the same as the previous pictures to me.

The clue is in the driven front axle. That big differential, planetary reduction system, in place of the skinny, steering only, pioneer front axle means the Explorer's radiator has to sit a lot higher than in a Pioneer....Glazed tops on the doors are another pointer....And Air braking connections at the front of the vehicle.....And a different shaped cab and windscreens....And note difference in engine air cleaner....

And having a Gardner 6LW rather than the big petrol engine in the Explorer, meant the Pioneer could get by with a lot smaller radiator....Pioneer front winch rollers are shorter, and are not open at the top as are the Explorer version...Rear view mirrors mount on door on the Explorer and move with the door, but pioneer does not have door tops so mirrors fixed to the windscreen framing stay in place when door is opened.......Explorer front towing eye spring hinges on the right, on the pioneer it swings from the left hand side....see also different mounting points for Headlights....Explorer front mudguards fix to a tubular frame, on the Pioneer they fix to a rectangular (top hat) section sheet steel pressing....On the Pioneer the Fuel tank is exposed, on the Explorer it is enclosed in a rectangular cover....

Draw a line from the top of the front tyres to the top of the rear tyres, Explorer cab is well above this line, Pioneer cab very noticeably below it.....

Edited by antarmike

Ah well, I stand corrected, if some one wants to move the pic's thats fine by me.

There were 2 at Abbey Hill, shame not 1 of each, I'd probably seen the difference myself.

I would have called it the same mate as not an expert either. I've learnt something also and that is why we love this forum. To share. To master and to Learn.

Every day is a school day as they say! As trucks they are both impressive! Thanks for the sharing the pictures.

Next show ye and I will now know the difference between a Pioneer and Conquerer ;)

Now I'm off to work on my 1/2 Tonne 24vFF winterised 'Jeep'...............:nut: LoL :rotfl:

Happy days!

Nice picture but they are two Explorers, not Pioneers....

The clue is in the driven front axle. That big differential, planetary reduction system, in place of the skinny, steering only, pioneer front axle means the Explorer's radiator has to sit a lot higher than in a Pioneer....Glazed tops on the doors are another pointer....And Air braking connections at the front of the vehicle.....And a different shaped cab and windscreens....And note difference in engine air cleaner....

And having a Gardner 6LW rather than the big petrol engine in the Explorer, meant the Pioneer could get by with a lot smaller radiator....Pioneer front winch rollers are shorter, and are not open at the top as are the Explorer version...Rear view mirrors mount on door on the Explorer and move with the door, but pioneer does not have door tops so mirrors fixed to the windscreen framing stay in place when door is opened.......Explorer front towing eye spring hinges on the right, on the pioneer it swings from the left hand side....see also different mounting points for Headlights....Explorer front mudguards fix to a tubular frame, on the Pioneer they fix to a rectangular (top hat) section sheet steel pressing....On the Pioneer the Fuel tank is exposed, on the Explorer it is enclosed in a rectangular cover....

Draw a line from the top of the front tyres to the top of the rear tyres, Explorer cab is well above this line, Pioneer cab very noticeably below it.....

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/attachment.php?attachmentid=44893&d=1304865570

......and hadn't the King died by the time the Explorer came into service? or are we being way too fussy!

• 4 months later...

Paint codes / colour!

Hi all, looking to get hold of the right (ish) shade of paint to slap on the old pioneer.

The old girl is in desert beige.

Any ideas on what its called and where a good source of it may be found?

Also, long shot I know, but does anyone have any info on Military Reg No's for this model.

Mine was 15 RD 64???

Cheers

Nigel

Edited by Plantters

• 1 month later...