Scammell Pioneer Gallery

Hi Folks

Good luck with the restoration of the gun tractor. Very few of the radiators had the Scammell name cast into them, the majority were cast plain. I've got a 1941 Gun Tractor and a 1945 Recovery and neither have the name cast in the radiator. I've also checked several nuseum and other restored Pioneers and have only seen 2 with the name cast into the radiator. It was not common practise during the war as the mould had to be handled with a lot more and time was of the essence.

I have the main beam and lifting chain hoist if you want to have a look at them. I took them out of my Gun Tractor as I use the back for sleeping in.

I hope this helps.

Brian Carter

Sussex

:blush: Sorry its not the best picture... but It means alot to me as the white thing in middle of the radiator, is a Danish license plate.... Finally a Scammell Pioneer is back on the Danish roads :D

nice one well pleased for you

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Folks

Good luck with the restoration of the gun tractor. Very few of the radiators had the Scammell name cast into them, the majority were cast plain. I've got a 1941 Gun Tractor and a 1945 Recovery and neither have the name cast in the radiator. I've also checked several nuseum and other restored Pioneers and have only seen 2 with the name cast into the radiator. It was not common practise during the war as the mould had to be handled with a lot more and time was of the essence.

I have the main beam and lifting chain hoist if you want to have a look at them. I took them out of my Gun Tractor as I use the back for sleeping in.

I hope this helps.

Brian Carter

Sussex

Thanks Brian. My gun tractor is 1938 so should have Scammell cast in the radiator. There were originally 3 Pioneers found together and the third was broken for spares and it had Scammell cast in the radiator. No idea where this or any of the other bits have ended up though. Next time I head up to my brother's I will see if you are free and I could pop in on the way by. He is in Blackburn so not too far away.

Thanks

Ed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Scammell Pioneer doing recovery demo at West lodge steam rally

i was looking at the website FLICKR recently and found several photographs of my pioneer 34YZ16 in service with 6 command work shops colchester ,while on exersize at east wretham in norfolk 1n 1953 :-D,the person who downloaded them was the driver of my scammell hes an 81 year old ex national serviceman and lives in oxfordshire . i have contacted him and a reunion is now being planned ,i will post photographs as soon as this happens:-D:-D

they can be viewed on FLICKR just look at TUNNARD flickr site

scammell at blaston 2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...