Scammell Pioneer Gallery

Hi

I have messured my plate its 17,8 cm x 13cm

Cheers

Thanks Niels,

Will spend the weekend working on the artwork and then try and get it into the CNC.... see how it goes... Will put up a picture once its done.

Dont suppose there is any chance of you placing the plate directly in the scanner and posting the pic is there Niels?

On Another note......

Does anyone have a decent picture of the Canvas Rad muffler and the Filler Muffler that was fitted to these old girls?

And a final question for today....

Looking at the rear of the body of the Pioneer I have two rods passing through holes in the rear cross member. These rods then pass all the way through the other cross members to the the second from front. They have a butterfly catch fitted to the end. They are bent at 90 degrees at the rear of the vehicle making a long l shape if you get my drift.....

Any idea what these are for?

Thanks

Nigel

I think RHS box even in the thin wall sizes looks a bit too rounded on the edges. The weights I've seen, assumed original, look more sharp on the edges, so wood may be best bet for immitation.

I originally made mine from planned 4" x 4" timber straight from a timber merchants and they fooled many. I did use 1" dia bits broom handles glued in at the ends for the handles as well. I later managed to but 3 real ones and found that these were pretty rough in comparison so if you do go for wood don't be too fussy and in hindsight would recommend steel bars for the handles and again not worry if they are not straight.

I did find pushing traction engines around on fields that the front end was too light and even keeping the bar staright the front got pushed over quite easily, but with just the 3 weights in the second row this was cured even for a big plowing or crane engine.

However If I am not going to a rally to do a bit of "Work" I use the wood ones as the steering becomes quite a bit heavier and I was once told they flatten the front spring over time if left on.

And a final question for today....

Looking at the rear of the body of the Pioneer I have two rods passing through holes in the rear cross member. These rods then pass all the way through the other cross members to the the second from front. They have a butterfly catch fitted to the end. They are bent at 90 degrees at the rear of the vehicle making a long l shape if you get my drift.....

Any idea what these are for?

Thanks

Nigel

Surely they are to hold the gun planks in place.

The rods you describe are definetly to retain the gun planks as Antarmike expains, the gun planks are approx 12 inches wide by 4 deep. we have about six of these rods on our Pioneer and from memory they are slightly different in length to relate to the cross members. All cross members on the body have corresponding holes.

The rods you describe are definetly to retain the gun planks as Antarmike expains, the gun planks are approx 12 inches wide by 4 deep. we have about six of these rods on our Pioneer and from memory they are slightly different in length to relate to the cross members. All cross members on the body have corresponding holes.

Explorers use almost identical pins to hold their gun planks in place.

Hi Mick , Beautifull Pioneer ! If you choose from the appropriate heading on the main forum page for example Transporters and wreckers and click on that ! When that list opens the option to post a new thread is at the top of the first page ! Hope that makes sense !:-D

Hi Mick , Beautifull Pioneer ! If you choose from the appropriate heading on the main forum page for example Transporters and wreckers and click on that ! When that list opens the option to post a new thread is at the top of the first page ! Hope that makes sense !:-D

Thanks for the info. Will try harder next time.

Found a few more pics as well from 2006. These are all with dummy weights on the front. The showmans wasn't too much trouble. The low loader had just settled in a bit and came out OK, but the wet ground defeated the old girl for the first time ever, although I pushed the Ploughing engine back on the low loader at the end of the show (Onslow Park) with no trouble.

DSC00637.jpg

DSC00640.jpg

DSC00639.jpg

Hi Mick,

Some great pictures. Did this Pioneer appear in the Express and Star sometime last year or maybe the year before?

Or even the year before that!

Yes Smithy, they did an article and a video on the website when I took it down as a suprise to ex R.E.M.E. driver Ted Aldhous from Wombourne who drove them in the war and had some great stories to recall.

Or even the year before that!

Yes Smithy, they did an article and a video on the website when I took it down as a suprise to ex R.E.M.E. driver Ted Aldhous from Wombourne who drove them in the war and had some great stories to recall.

Doesn't time fly!!! I thought it was. Looking really nice anyway mate, will hopefully see it around a few midlands shows this year?

Also is that Len Crane's Bedford Organ that you are taking the cab off from?

• 2 weeks later...

Seen at the IOW steam rally 2009, a very nice pioneer, absolutly pristeen, even down to the oil can next to the engine. Someone has put a lot of work in to this beauty.:bow:

Alan.

IOW Steam Rally 2007 025.jpg

Edited by ace1
smelling pistake

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of photos of Pioneer tank transporter. I took these a long time ago. The Scammell pictured with owner Rod Cadman was ex. Glossop, road planers of Tonbridge in Kent. Unusual date for reg. plate, 1968, which was quite late for use of the old girl. Not wishing to reveal my age but I clearly remember seeing one of Glossop's Scammells working in Croydon. I don't know if Rod still has this truck but it might be worth a call. Hope of interest. Tony G.

2 - Glossops Scam

1- Glossops Scamm