Scammell Pioneer Gallery

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anybody know what paint scheme was employed in Italy during WW2 ?

The Royal Engineers ran several Pioneers, both SV/2S and R100's pulling plant trailers on which they carried equipment and dozers, a lot of which had come from North Africa along with some DT 981's etc.

Did they remain in desert colours or were they painted in olive drab ?

Does anybody know what paint scheme was employed in Italy during WW2 ?

The Royal Engineers ran several Pioneers, both SV/2S and R100's pulling plant trailers on which they carried equipment and dozers, a lot of which had come from North Africa along with some DT 981's etc.

Did they remain in desert colours or were they painted in olive drab ?

I had a neighbour who had been in the RASC in Africa and I think in Italy latter on so I did my Pioneer in RASC markings until I went to Normandy with it in 2004 and changed it to REME.

I had all the info from the now defunct Museum of Army Transport in Beverley and would need to dig the letter out to give you the full details if you want. In the meantime here is a photo of it in the markings, unfortunately the diamond tread tyres split some time back, but I always thought they looked better than the bar grips.

Scammell Mvc-447s.JPG

Some great pics Neils and Mick.

So are we assuming that there may have been a mix of colours in 1944 onwards when in Italy ?

I know that some of the Diamond T's kept their desert colour throughout.

There is a pic elsewhere of a Pioneer in a collecion in Rome which is in olive drab, i suppose it ended its time in that region and was not repainted.

Anyway, thanks for the info so far. :-)

Hi Desert Rat

the description says:

E 25254

A Scammell tank transporter carrying a repaired Valentine tank forms part of the United Nations parade in Cairo which saw 5,000 troops and vehicles pass through the city, 14 June 1943.

Sadly nothing about the colour, but I think that its a two tone scheme, sand and light blue or green, but I cant tell for sure.

I am fairly sure that the Scammell R100 towing the mathilda is in the 3 tone counter scheme with sand, blue and green.

I found some more pics on the IWM site

E_021407.jpg

E_019296.jpg

E_015182.jpg

Niels, in the bottom picture, what colour do you think the cammo scheme is ?

Also, does it say where it was taken ?

Hi Desert Rat

I looked out the info sent to me in 1994 by the Curator of the Army Museum of Transport, Wally Dugan. He wrote: - " I feel RASC markings would be appropriate for your tractor as depending on where it operated, it could have been used in the Italian campaign by either the 8th Army or the 8th Armoured Division both of whom served in the Italy with the RASC". He then enclosed a brief history of the division which is on the scanned document shown.

There was no mention of colour but in the end I used matt mid bronze green with matt black "mickey mouse ear" being applied with a 6" brush. I don't know how correct it all was but it was the best I could do at the time with the info available. I always thought that the RASC signs and Divisional marking were on the wrong sides. In the end it looked alright and I just concentrated on getting it out on the road.

Hope it may be of use to you in some shape or form.

Invincible Mick

scan0008.jpg

Hi Mick,

Thats great info, thanks ! I know the Royal Engineers in Italy had a mix of Scammells, Macks and Diamond T's for pulling the plant trailers. I know the markings of one of the units in the 46th Div who were part of the 8th Army (which ties in with your info) but was just curious about the paint scheme. In all honesty, it appears that 'anything goes' from Mickey Mouse ears, to O/D through to desert sand and in Italy i don't think any one scheme would be better than another as they moved onwards due to the variable landscape.

Once again, thanks to you all for the info.

DR

Hello

Im very happy to have found this thread.Ive recently came across a scammell pioneer and would like to know if it is worth doing anything with and how i can find information on this perticular one.Where would i find the chassis number atc,

the story is as follows, Ive yet to see the paper work which the previous owner has but he reckons it is 1930, the crane is a Herbert morris 1944 and the engine is gardner 1958.

Ive done a bit of research on it,but as yet have to get a propper look round the actual truck

Also on another note the same person who has this gave me a photo taken in Doolen,France 1945 of a Mr Ted Wyckes of Derby,whom he Knows,infront of his scammell Gun Tractor Reg H4500290 I hope this is of some Value to someone on here.

Also since looking in to this vehicle Ive taken a shine to them,Would anyody know if there are any examples in ireland?

Thanks in advanve for your help..

Image0006.jpg

Image0005.jpg

Image0004.jpg

Image0007.jpg

wyckes.jpg

Hi,

It might seem like a daunting task but it does seem rather complete. Cabs and back bodies can be rebuilt and i doubt it will take much to get it running.

Have a search and read some of the blogs about restorations and i'm sure you will be spurred on. :-)

If you look at what some of the guys have started with, it makes your one almost ready to rally !