Antar Gallery

Useless bit of information. The Antar C6T and the MkII and at least one Mk3 were fitted with the Darlington type 70 winch.

I had not appreciated until a few days ago that the winch (indeed most of the Darlington range) was a model built under licence from Tulsa Winch.

Visiting their site I see that most models that were in the Darlington range in the 1960's are still current Tulsa products.

http://www.team-twg.com/en/tulsa-winch/products/worm-gear-winches-hoists/default.htm

darlingtonwinches.jpg

There is also a downloadable pdf manual for each of the winches, at this site.

Edited by antarmike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Myth busting and the Antar No (can't remember where I got to!)

The myth says the Antar had no self recovery/ forward winching capability....

dutcharmyAntar.jpg

I have already posted front and rear shots of the RAF Mk1 Antars which could forward winch, and pictures of these when they were re-registered in the ZB series with the Army, showing that on transfer they could still self recover.

The picture here is, I am told, of an Antar in Holland.

It does not appear to be an EX RAF , later Army ZB registered Antar because the winch fitted is a Darlington type 70 not a Turner.

I am guessing it is ex Dutch Army, but the Pictures of Dutch Army Antars Les Freathy posted, do not show the winch rollers underslung under the bumper.

What are we looking at here? Clearly it is from another batch of Mk2 Antars that could forward winch. (Or it it a retro-fitted adaptation?)

Answers on the back of a post card please....

The dutch seem to have great faith in the improved Mk2 wheel chocks!

Edited by antarmike

There's a cracker on Ebay at the moment. Mk1 from the earliest batch.

Welcome to the forum Paddy and thanks for letting us know.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Thornycroft-Mighty-Antar_W0QQitemZ120421852221QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item120421852221&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A200

BSlYyu2kKGrHgoOKiUEjlLmWrB3BKEcDN_1.jpg

BSlY3QmkKGrHgoOKjsEjlLmWUfiBKEulzbg.jpg

BSlZEwBmkKGrHgoOKjgEjlLmZRFRBKEBSMv.jpg

BSlY8KwWkKGrHgoOKjUEjlLmU7BKEBCOJWQ.jpg

BSlZEugB2kKGrHgoOKjsEjlLmWUfiBKEBkF.jpg

48ff_1.jpg

Edited by 6 X 6

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ,

Great thread; boy,have I learnt a lot.

Always interested in anything Antar.

Here's a new question.

I have found another Antar sold through Ruddington with similar number to Mike's, but this time, 380 FUL, described as 85 ton Tractor with Meteorite engine with two gearboxes, giving 12 speeds forward and 3 in reverse, power steering , airbrakes and Darlington 15 ton winch.

Anybody know any more info on this one???

Thanks,

Mike

I have heard reference to 380 FUL as an MPBW, later PSA Antar, also involved in runway testing,and logic says that it is one of the Steel Ballast Bodied RAF Mk1 Antars, but of the eight, seven went top the Army as ZB registrations, and the other one becoming 982FUL.

However it is claimed 47 AN 03 became 75 ZB 93, only to gain a MoS number RGX 978, finally becomong 60 EP 57. If this Ex RAF Mk1 did not stay with the Army in the ZB series it is entirely possible that another also went on to have a third or even fourth life and could have ended up as 380 FUL.

However if the information that it had a Darlington winch is correct, then of course it could not be a Mk1 but would have to be a mark2.

Edited by antarmike

Hi Mike,

The details came from the Ruddington catalogue itself.

It was obviously a last-minute entry as they issued it with lot number 1824/1, whilst 1824 was a Rubery-Owen two wheeled air-braked trailer chassis.

Date was 19th July 1968 and it was located on the Marshalling yard grounds of the Rdgtn site.

Regards,Mike.

Just bought a book on old time heavy haulage. It is a collection of articles from certain Military and commercial vehicle magazines. I was surprised to read in there that the Mk3 Antar had a road speed of 40MPH. I thought that seems fast so I looked in the user handbook and at max engine revs the Mk3 Antar does 35 MPH but elsewhere in the handbook the maximum RECOMMENDED road speed is 30 MPH. For the record the relevant handbooks also show that my model of Antar , the C6T (again erroneously identified in this magazine based book as a prototype Mk3!!!) does 32.5 MPH at max engine revs and the Mk2 did 28.5 MPH. Seems there is still a lot of room for myth busting......

Incidentally the Mk2 had an identical transmission ratios to the C6T. The C6T is faster because the diesel Rolls C6 actually revved higher than the Petrol Rover Meteorite....

Edited by antarmike

Just bought a book on old time heavy haulage. It is a collection of articles from certain Military and commercial vehicle magazines. I was surprised to read in there that the Mk3 Antar had a road speed of 40MPH. I thought that seems fast so I looked in the user handbook and at max engine revs the Mk3 Antar does 35 MPH but elsewhere in the handbook the maximum RECOMMENDED road speed is 30 MPH. For the record the relevant handbooks also show that my model of Antar , the C6T (again erroneously identified in this magazine based book as a prototype Mk3!!!) does 32.5 MPH at max engine revs and the Mk2 did 28.5 MPH. Seems there is still a lot of room for myth busting......

Incidentally the Mk2 had an identical transmission ratios to the C6T. The C6T is faster because the diesel Rolls C6 actually revved higher than the Petrol Rover Meteorite....

I would agree with you Mike, did many miles in my Mk3 and on a number of occasions got my wife to clock my speed when travelling behind in the car. It would cruise happily at 35mph with a little bit left over, was revving at around 1950-2000 rpm. 40mph was never achieved.

John.

• 1 month later...