Antar Gallery

And how do you fit overall tracks if it isn't a walking beam??

Overall tracks were issued to the wartime, (and earlier ), 6x4 3ton trucks, which all employed the WD pattern rear bogie. Examples are Austin K6, Crossley, Leyland Retriever, Thornycroft, AEC Marshall, Karrier and Guy. So they were not just for walking beam axles.

They are in the MVEE catalogue for the Antar, but don't appear in any user manual, CES list etc. That I have seen. I have never seen a photo.. I think MVEE catalogue is in error... Can anyone proove otherwise???

Mike,

Those MVEE catalogues were for exhibitions of what the British Motor Industry could supply, some vehicles in the early books were never in service with the British, so it was for Defence sales. It might be that Thornycroft had specified overall tracks as an option and the War Office did not take them up. Just an idea ...........

Does anyone know if any of the Pakistani Antars made it through to preservation ?

Sorry, but more likely the engines were (or still are) driving irrigation pumps?? :-D

Off topic, but our crane inspector once visited Pakistan and saw all manner of old truck engines driving pumps by the river, many had neither inlet nor exhaust manifolds, they could be heard for miles he said :shake:

• 2 weeks later...

I have sometimes suspested that my Antar might have been pinched from the Pakistan Army batch to satisfy the RAF's needs.

In doing the clutch, I have just unbolted the lower half of a cross member to remove the prop shaft, and although the cross member is painted Blue-Grey, the area were the two halves overlap and are through bolted is a shade of Bronze green.

The British Army Antars dont have this section of the cross member removable. I am wondering if my Antar is basically a civvy export model, why the base colour of the cross member is green??

Does anyone have a reliable date for the building and supply of the Pakistan Army Antars?

Edited by antarmike

Pakistan3.jpg

Pakistan4.jpg

Better shots of the Pakistan Army Antar. They are not the same as mine (air cleaners, Windcreen, Cupola in roof etc. But....

Not they have the slinging flanges (picked out in white) fitted to the wheels for lifting onto the ship. The drivers wait to go (Right hand Drive!) (I wonder why the front tow hitches aren't fitted.) They appear to have been fitted but then removed...(Note also differing tread patterns on adjacent vehicles)

Edited by antarmike

Better shots of the Pakistan Army Antar. They are not the same as mine (air cleaners, Windcreen, Cupola in roof etc. But....

Not they have the slinging flanges (picked out in white) fitted to the wheels for lifting onto the ship. The drivers wait to go (Right hand Drive!) (I wonder why the front tow hitches aren't fitted.) They appear to have been fitted but then removed...(Note also differing tread patterns on adjacent vehicles)

Perhaps the tow hitches protruding present a risk of damage if there's any movement whilst aboard the ship.

The first Antar on the right seems to show more marking to the front bumper, not just were the hitch has been removed. The whole item looks a little second hand unless it's a trick of the light or discoloration of the photograph.

Note how one bolt is left in the bumper. The power steering pump lives in the front bumper, propshaft driven off the crank. You can get three bolts into the tow hitch from the front and put nuts on the back, inside the bumper. but where the pump sits there isn't enough room for a nut and washer inside, on the fourth bolt, so this bolt goes into the hole in the bumper, from the inside, before the power steering pump is fitted. A nut goes on the outside on this one bolt.

If you have ever refitted the power steering pump, and left the bolt out, only to have to remove the pump again, you will thank this innovative bit of design!

This is the sort of thinking you get from Thornycroft.

And talking of models (well toys actually) the Matchbox Antar and Trailer had a pretty hopeless model of the 50Ton Artic trailer. Benbro did a model of the Antar and trailer. Their Antar was horendous but they modelled the 60 ton Artic trailer very well. Putting the Matchbox tractor with the Benbro trailer gives quite a nice combo...

antarmodels006.jpg

even the ramps work

antarmodels010.jpg

antarmodels001.jpg

I have to admit I bought a white metal kit of my RAF Mighty Antar and the 50 Ton Dyson RAF plant trailer.

I also have to admit I can't be Rsed to finish it by applying the paint... but I like it in bare metal...

Hi Mike who manufactured this kit ,what scale and do you know if they are still available please ? Oh and now I'm a dad I have to ask the price ! :-D

It's in 1/76 so it matches Airfix Matador etc.

It is kit BW 149 (Thornycroft Antar RAF Ballast Tractor) and kit BW 150 (Dyson 50 Ton RAF trailer.)

It is by B.W.Models

5 Brinkburn Place

Amble

Northumberland

NE65 0BJ

I don't know a current price. If you send them an SAE they will give you a list of models with prices...