Matador Gallery

10-05-2008092633.jpg

I went to buy this one, but didn't when the bloke tried to start it it wouuldn't go. Later he found the Silencer packed full of broad beans, that had sprouted and were almost bursting it.

He had been using the cab as a greenhouse, and mice had raided the planted pots and stored the beans in the exhaust pipe, where they had germinated!

Edited by antarmike

The winch is Foden, as fitted both to their timber lorries STG6 etc, but also to their heavy Haulage lorries, as an alternative to the Darlington type 70 or 80.

The winch design dates from prewar, and they used a front brake drum from a Foden S type lorry as the drum brake.

Edited by antarmike

But to fit this winch I had to build a power take-off that sat above the transfer gearbox, effectively adding another gearshaft to the box. (I needed the extra shaft to reverse the drive to the winc, or I would have had 4 reverse and 1 forward wincing gears. (the extra shaft is an AEC front axle driveshaft carrying an AEC 60 tooth winch drive gear, running in AEC standard bearings,)

11-05-2008205027.jpg

The casing is welded from 6mm, 12mm and 38mm plate, fully machined.

I used a series II Bridgeport Interact CNC to do the machining.

11-05-2008205334.jpg

Edited by antarmike

Fitting the winch involved adding 6" to the Chassis, losing the rear towing spring, giving a rigid tow jaw, and moving an intermediate cross member forward.

11-05-2008205731.jpg

The drive unit, Worm Box hangs from my other Mat (now sold) for the trial assembly.

11-05-2008205537.jpg

Coming together nicely

(who remebers when you could legally buy and use Calcium Plumbate as a primer for unweathered Galvanizing? On the unfitted wings.

There is some special paint available now, but very expensive - a friend got some to paint a load of new galv. palisade fencing and had a fit when the invoice came. I'll find out what it is if anyone interested.